Does one really need V5C to take a vehicle out of the UK for a week or so?

Man of Honour
I checked a couple of sites (AA, RAC etc), and loaded my car up with the various fire extinguisher, first aid kit, spare bulbs, hi viz, breathalysers etc. I don't recall seeing anything about need a V5c

I wouldn't personally be looking at British websites to determine the legal requirements of visiting a foreign country.

It's been ages since I drove my own car to Europe (wow, 2014) but I remember having to ensure I had my vehicle documentation with me.

Man of Honour
That is under the new rules after January 2021 section though, this was at least 6-7 years ago

So?

In France for example you must be able to display, on request, the vehicle registration document. This applies whether you are French driving a French car, German driving a German car or British driving a British car, it's nothing to do with Brexit and it's nothing new.

Soldato
So?

In France for example you must be able to display, on request, the vehicle registration document. This applies whether you are French driving a French car, German driving a German car or British driving a British car, it's nothing to do with Brexit and it's nothing new.

You realise you're just repeating what other posters have already said and I've already responded to?

Soldato
I checked a couple of sites (AA, RAC etc), and loaded my car up with the various fire extinguisher, first aid kit, spare bulbs, hi viz, breathalysers etc. I don't recall seeing anything about need a V5c

This is a good example of how those sites are pretty useless. You cannot be fined for not carrying a breathalyser in France, and although it's technically a requirement to have the spare bulbs and first aid kit, your chances of being asked for them are virtually zero.

If however you are missing a key document such as a V5, they can make your life very difficult if they want to.

Associate
I think you'll also need green card insurance, so I doubt you would be able to get everything sorted within a day or so. It also sounds like a terrible idea to buy an unknown car and take it on a long trip across Europe.
Why not just fly and hire a car there?

This is true. You need a green card now.

Soldato
What would happen if you didn't have the v5c? I for certain, having covered 10s of ks on European road trips didn't even know this was the rule.

Presumably they'd ask you to show it at a later date?

Associate
What would happen if you didn't have the v5c? I for certain, having covered 10s of ks on European road trips didn't even know this was the rule.

Presumably they'd ask you to show it at a later date?

Same here too, been to Brittany twice and pretty sure I didn't take the V5 doc, was loaded up with spare bulbs, hi viz vest, warning triangle etc., would have been unknowingly penalised, bloody ridiculous if you ask me, as long as they can ID you can't see any reason you aren't allowed a time period after to prove your interest in the vehicle. Surely the fact your bloody insured is proof enough (that I'm sure they can check at the scene instantly as long they're happy you say who you are).

Soldato
Same here too, been to Brittany twice and pretty sure I didn't take the V5 doc, was loaded up with spare bulbs, hi viz vest, warning triangle etc., would have been unknowingly penalised, bloody ridiculous if you ask me, as long as they can ID you can't see any reason you aren't allowed a time period after to prove your interest in the vehicle. Surely the fact your bloody insured is proof enough (that I'm sure they can check at the scene instantly as long they're happy you say who you are).
Haha yeah come to think of it - the first time I went I had bulbs, hi-viz, first aid kits, triangle, even the beam deflectors. Feels an odd miss of me to not have the V5C if it is/was indeed required!

Associate
Haha yeah come to think of it - the first time I went I had bulbs, hi-viz, first aid kits, triangle, even the beam deflectors. Feels an odd miss of me to not have the V5C if it is/was indeed required!

I don't feel quite such a dunce finding out I'm not the only one to have missed it then! :D

Would have been a totally innocent mistake though had I been pulled over.

Sure I was flashed by a camera in France as well....never heard nothing from it though, when I went back for the 2nd time though was in a different car. Perhaps some innocent soul will cop for my misdemeanor if they ever take the car over (wasn't anything sinister, probably about 3mph over the bloody road limit, and the camera was like a little bloody dalek hidden in the bushes, sneaky damn Gendarmerie).

Last edited:
Soldato
Last bike and car I bought, both of them I got the V5 after 2 day when doing the transfer online.
Sold a scooter to a friend, he also got the V5 2 days later

By law you need the V5 if you get stopped, but ofc all depends how nice the officers will be with you

In some countries you have to carry the vehicle documents all the time

Soldato
Last bike and car I bought, both of them I got the V5 eafter 2 day when doing the transfer online.
Sold a scooter to a friend, he also got the V5 2 days later

By law you need the V5 if you get stopped, but ofc all depends how nice the officers will be with you

In some countries you have to carry the vehicle documents all the time

It depends, it can take 6+ weeks at the moment, I know this because I have been waiting to move a plate over to my new car for weeks, the last time I spoke to DVLA this week, they reckoned they would issue it on Wednesday next week.

Soldato
It depends, it can take 6+ weeks at the moment, I know this because I have been waiting to move a plate over to my new car for weeks, the last time I spoke to DVLA this week, they reckoned they would issue it on Wednesday next week.

I sold the Scooter to my friend last week on Wednesday and he got the V5 on Friday.

Back
Top Bottom