Does something need to be done about dogs?

Average dog ownership contributes over 750kg of co2 per year. Equivalent of driving about 4-5,000 miles in a modern car. Probably, we should discourage it somewhat even on just an environmental level.

I think dog fouling has become more and more of a problem over the last decade as well. I know people will say we hear about it more due to people complaining on social media, but I truly believe it is more of a problem and experienced more. People's standards and care levels have just reached an all time low.
You aren't old enough to remember how much dog **** there was back in the 80s and early 90s then? And how people would just let their dogs out to roam the streets on its own, sometimes aggressively terrifying local kids?

Average dog ownership contributes over 750kg of co2 per year. Equivalent of driving about 4-5,000 miles in a modern car. Probably, we should discourage it somewhat even on just an environmental level.

Another reason to ban kids. Added bonus that it solves man made climate change too within 100 year's.

Family life is a human right, and I think people who might consider themselves to be progressive or liberal should probably think twice before demonising the core principle of family.

Leave the nasty right wing 'thinking' to the nasty right wing thinkers.

It's a fact though.

Family life is a human right, and I think people who might consider themselves to be progressive or liberal should probably think twice before demonising the core principle of family.

Leave the nasty right wing 'thinking' to the nasty right wing thinkers.

It's not demonising it, most of my friends have children...One couple had 4 in fact. I still congratulate them on each birth and don't ever say to them that what they are doing is wrong, as I don't think that way.

A fact is a fact though. Overpopulation is a huge problem.

What's the point in facts that lead nowhere though?

It's a fact that having a child will create more rubbish than I will produce for the rest of my life: should I stop recycling?

I'm not sure the point you are trying to make with this.
If you don't have a kid you save a vast amount of Climate damage from occurring.
With climate being a hot topic at the moment it's useful information.

If people want to minimise thier impact they should have the facts to do that.

Not having a child is the single biggest impact you can have as a typical individual on the planet.

In don't hate kids. I don't hate people who have kids. But it doesn't change the fact that having kids is bad for the environment.

If you don't have a kid you save a vast amount of Climate damage from occurring.

Not having a child is the single biggest impact you can have as a typical individual on the planet.

In don't hate kids. I don't hate people who have kids. But it doesn't change the fact that having kids is bad for the environment.
Almost all developed countries are already depopulating.

Almost all developed countries are already depopulating.

Yes they are. But I'm interested if you
A) don't care about kids being bad for the environment
B) don't believe it

Either is fine. I'm intrigued though
I don't care enough to make other changes. So I'm not judging.

Its ******* insane and inhumane to tell people that they shouldn't have kids because the world sold out to consumption instead of getting on top of the environment.

We all sold out. We live in a democracy. There are extreme parties that would make changes. But they don't get in.

Regardless. Its still good to know the facts. No one is forcing these facts onto people as policy. Individuals can still make thier own choice about kids.

But I totally agree with all facts being available.

But this has gone way off topic!

Yes they are. But I'm interested if you
A) don't care about kids being bad for the environment
B) don't believe it

Either is fine. I'm intrigued though
I don't care enough to make other changes. So I'm not judging.
I think kids are inevitable and should be encouraged because that it what the world is for. Procreation is the purpose of life (which isn't to say people shouldn't have choice to not procreate, of course ).

Building a world in which having kids is A Bad Thing is the ultimate failure state, and is a shocking thing to defend, especially when it comes from some of the seemingly more enlightened members of the forum.

I think that's true if we take a look at policy (governmental), but in pure CO2, it's actually not as impactful as that, though it is still detrimental of course. That said it is fairly common sense that more people = more resources being used = more stuff needing to be produced etc...

I think if proper policy were put in place it could offset increasing population. There's still a lot of waste and poor use of existing resources - fixing that is more important, i.e. people's behaviours, overproduction and considerate manufacturing and material usage.

Back
Top Bottom