• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Does your graphics card have coil whine?

Associate
Coil whine survey :)

Please note by coil whine I do not mean the obnoxiously loud high screech in game menus or when you quit heaven benchmark.

Here is an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB9uK-Tnc7I&t=0m26s

Test method - Heaven 4.0 Benchmark at whatever settings you want (since I figure most people here already have it installed).
If you have a low power card do not use maximum settings as extremely low FPS can cause coil whine not to occur.

The survey

1. Do you hear coil whine coming from your graphics card during heaven benchmark?

2. Please list the following components in your system. Graphics card - Motherboard - Power supply

3. What is the rpm of your case fans + cpu cooler.

Various Rest of system
Various Rest of system
Various Rest of system

MSI 7970 OC No Rest of system
7970 Yes Rest of system
Reference MSI + XFX 7970 No Rest of system
Sapphire 7970 Yes Rest of system
VTX 7950 X-Edition No Rest of system
Gigabyte 7950 WF X3 No Rest of system
PowerColor 7950 PCS Yes Rest of system
HIS 7950 IceQ Boost No Rest of system
HIS 7950 Boost No Rest of system
XFX 7950 Yes Rest of system
Powercolor 7870 myst No Rest of system
Sapphire 6950 Toxic Yes Rest of system
HIS 7770 iCooler Yes Rest of system

EVGA GTX 680 SC No Rest of system
EVGA GTX 680 No Rest of system
EVGA GTX 670 Yes Rest of system
EVGA GTX 670 FTW No Rest of system
EVGA GTX 670 FTW No Rest of system
Gigabyte GTX 570 SOC No Rest of system
EVGA HD GTX 570 No Rest of system

Last edited:
Soldato
1. NO
2. Asus DirectCUII 7970, i7 3770k, Gigabyte Sniper m3 1KW XFX Platinum Pro
3. Water Cooled 4x 120mm fans @ 300rpm

Not everyone has coil whine as you may think OP. I can stick my head in my case and hear ZERO whine no matter what its doing.

The 7990 i tested and the refrence 7970 on the otherhand did.

The NON Reference designs are best for no coil issues

Associate
OP
Not everyone has coil whine as you may think OP. I can stick my head in my case and hear ZERO whine no matter what its doing.

I didn't say they did, please don't take take it off topic :) What fans do you have at 300rpm? I haven't come across any at that low of a speed (genuine question)

The NON Reference designs are best for no coil issues

My Asus directcu II gtx 660 had.

Associate
OP
MSI and XFX 7970 reference cards under water, no noise.

Spec in sig, fans somewhere between 1-300RPM

If you're serious about those fan speeds then that's fine. If not then please just don't post it. I don't see anything wrong with getting some reliable info on the most common complaint with graphics cards.

Soldato
No
EVGA GTX680, Corsair HX750, ASUS P8P67 B3
BitFenix Spectre 120MMs on a Lamptron fan controller between 100-1000RPM

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're serious about those fan speeds then that's fine. If not then please just don't post it. I don't see anything wrong with getting some reliable info on the most common complaint with graphics cards.

What the hell are you on. There is nothing wrong with his quoted fan speeds as an estimate.

Guess what, some people run fans on controllers and run them at whatever speed they want? Quite frankly if this is the crappy attitude you have I'll just redact my post and screw your thread.

Associate
OP
What the hell are you on. There is nothing wrong with his quoted fan speeds as an estimate.

Guess what, some people run fans on controllers and run them at whatever speed they want? Quite frankly if this is the crappy attitude you have I'll just redact my post and screw your thread.

My attitude? :/

Calm down, it was a fair question imo. Not many fans can run at 300rpm even on a controller.

Soldato

Yes, I am serious. I can sometimes see the actual blades I run them so slow. I can actually switch ALL fans of for an hour or more without any massive increase in temp. As I mentioned in the other thread, I water cool for silence, not overclocking. The macbook on my desk is currently making more noise from its fan than my PC is.

Edit, 300 is an estimate but if you imagine the fan controller knob being 1-10, its currently on 1.

Associate
OP
Yes, I am serious. I can sometimes see the actual blades I run them so slow. I can actually switch ALL fans of for an hour or more without any massive increase in temp. As I mentioned in the other thread, I water cool for silence, not overclocking. The macbook on my desk is currently making more noise from its fan than my PC is.

Fair enough, btw what fans are they? I've been on the lookout for ones which can run really low speeds.

Soldato
NO!
2159381abesimpsongif.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom