• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Does your graphics card have coil whine?

Associate
OP
Never experienced it on a 6800gt, 8800gts, 4850, 5770, 5870, 6950, gtx670.

Actually I have heard it once, on the first benchmark level of 3dMark, but thats just when the fps in is in the 1000's.

Yeah, that's what coil whine sounds like at super high fps. When fps is at a more reasonable level but the gpu is still stressed, it becomes much quieter and sounds more like a cricket chirping rather than a high pitched squeal. See video in op for what I mean.

If the coils whine at high fps then it only makes sense that they'll whine also at lower fps, it just sounds different and is harder to pickup (or maybe some cards just make no noise at all!)

Soldato
For anyone interested here's the whine on my 7770. (you might need to increase volume to hear it due to crappy camera amplifying other noises)

http://picosong.com/Frpk/

This is with heaven, you can hear the chirp/hiss/ticking coil whine then the high squeal when I exit it.

Well if that's coil whine then thankfully I don't have it. Makes me wonder though what the other noise I am hearing is.

Associate
OP
Well if that's coil whine then thankfully I don't have it. Makes me wonder though what the other noise I am hearing is.

Is this what it sounds like? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQFEY9RIRJA

Or if it sounds like the video I posted in OP then its definitely coil whine.

Btw most of the noises in the link I posted are just the camera acting up, the whine is pretty faint in the background (until I quit then it gets pretty loud)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmmm, does it change when you start a game or benchmark? See if you can isolate the noise. Do you have any mechanical drives?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY7af_tz4uo What part in this video can you hear it?

Sorry for the late reply. Between 1:05 and 1:08 minute in that video, it's like what you can imagine a hover sound effect would be like in a 70's sci-fi.

WuwuwuwuwuWuWuWuwuwuwuwuwuWuWuuWuWuwuwuwuWuWuWuWuWu

Soldato
I don't have any noise other than fan noise coming from my PC. Spec in sig. Gentle Typhoons at half speed, but it doesn't matter what speed I put them at. CPU cooler = Arctic Freezer Pro at 1800rpm max I think.

Soldato
1) Yes, when I forst got the card it did have coil whine but it went away after a week of hard use and testing.
2) Nvidia GTX670 by EVGA standard reference pcb
3) CPU and GPU on a custom watercooled loop, fans sulpplied by Lian Li and one 120mm fan by Enermax all hooked up to a fan controller.

PSU is a Corsair ax650.

I was amazed I was getting coil whine, brand new video card, brand new top of the line state of the art PSU. Glad its gone but it was annoying as I wanted a watercooled system to reduce noise.

Last edited:
Associate
1: Hell yes (squeals like a pig grrrr) :mad:
2: Sapphire 7970 (reference card)
3: 2500k/Asus maximus V gene z77 and 4670k/Msi Z87 gaming 65
Tried 2 Psu's.
Watercooled but even with fans on full it is very still very noticeable.

I even hear it on the Ocuk shop site and some music videos cause it too but never as bad as benches and gaming.

Back
Top Bottom