Doing a spot of hiking

Man of Honour
This is quite normal. Any alpine boot that will actually protect your ankles and feet and can take crampons are just horrible to walk in. You used to be able to buy so-called approach shoes but now trail-runners have taken over that market

Getting into a bit dubious territory as Merrell never officially rated them, but the Merrell Polarand boots (some versions) can take crampons, have reasonable angle protection and are decent to walk in - Merrell really should have pressed on with the development of them :( no one in their right mind would use them for serious use where rating is actually important though - the front groove does not inspire me with confidence.

Caporegime
They are flat, dead flat, and I believe my knees/feet/hips aren't properly aligned. This manifests in shin splint type pain.
I noticed in female joggers loads of them run with their feet kicking out to the sides.

but then you see loads of female joggers who run with the same form as men do and straight looking legs || from behind as they run not going from || to/ \

Do they have misaligned legs or? anyone know seems to be mostly younger people doing it, so can't be a "had kids" thing surely

Last edited:
Man of Honour
They are flat, dead flat, and I believe my knees/feet/hips aren't properly aligned. This manifests in shin splint type pain.

I had to give up running as no matter what orthotics I had it wasn't enough.. The coach even told me to quit. And he was right.

Its why I took up kayaking and MTB and limit walks to about 10-15 miles as, so far, anything more gives me grief

Have you tried trail/running shoes with an OrthoLite insole or footbed? I find them amazing almost like a cheat mode.

Soldato
Tbh I don't like these higher type walking trainers, don't feel any advantage over the normal ones.
On a micro hike at the moment doing my favourite activity, sitting and watching,it's not about equipment imho

IMG20240504100021.jpg

Back
Top Bottom