• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Don't Buy A Used Mining GPU

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I wish mining never existed tbh xd

If it blows the mind, before mining there was distributed computing! You never got anything for it except a rank and maybe a pretend certificate emailed to you on a milestone..

Anti-miners gonna hate. People need to get a grip. If Monero exploded overnight the same would happen to CPUs.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
If it blows the mind, before mining there was distributed computing! You never got anything for it except a rank and maybe a pretend certificate emailed to you on a milestone..

Anti-miners gonna hate. People need to get a grip. If Monero exploded overnight the same would happen to CPUs.

Yeah but didn't DC actually do something worthwhile like finding cures for diseases etc like F@H etc. It also didn't cause a massive spike in demand for the GPUs either

Soldato
Yeah but didn't DC actually do something worthwhile like finding cures for diseases etc like F@H etc. It also didn't cause a massive spike in demand for the GPUs either

It didnt no, but that's because people didnt want to spend electric on crunching. If you checked the big crunchers even on OcUK teams, they had multiple GPUs or server grade CPU's - so yes there was a potential for hardware to be eaten up. Also when covid kicked off many people joined the folding teams to accelerate the processing - so much so the servers couldnt cope with it. I was getting so much unused hardware as they didnt have the back end resources to provide work units I went back to mining until they fixed it.

The point being?
Well before mining computers have always been used for tasks and experimental sciences. The PC is a versatile tool. Having people foaming out the mouth and getting pitchforks out is unbelievable as its not a given that gamers are entitled to access the components.

Associate
Crypto mining is broadly equivalent to fly tipping, you get something for minimal effort and everything else is someone else's problem. Next they will use the profits to buy up all the housing stock and rent it back to people priced out for inflated prices quoting 'supply & demand yo...'

Associate
I always thought a good miner is better to buy from than a gamer? They undervolt the cards for the specific purpose of longevity and cooling, right?

I've also seen that the spiking power consumption of gaming wears out the hardware quicker, but not sure how accurate that is? I'm a software guy.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
It didnt no, but that's because people didnt want to spend electric on crunching. If you checked the big crunchers even on OcUK teams, they had multiple GPUs or server grade CPU's - so yes there was a potential for hardware to be eaten up. Also when covid kicked off many people joined the folding teams to accelerate the processing - so much so the servers couldnt cope with it. I was getting so much unused hardware as they didnt have the back end resources to provide work units I went back to mining until they fixed it.

The point being?
Well before mining computers have always been used for tasks and experimental sciences. The PC is a versatile tool. Having people foaming out the mouth and getting pitchforks out is unbelievable as its not a given that gamers are entitled to access the components.

The point I was trying to make is mining creates an unquenchable demand, DC doesn't.

Mining adds nothing useful for the resources it consumes, whereas DC like F@H does produce usable data that is a benefit to mankind in its pursuit of cures for terrible disease.

Gamers are rightly angry because there isnt the capacity to ever keep up with mining demand so stock availability and more importantly at reasonable prices will never happen while mining exists and is profitable

ljt

ljt

Soldato

Mining itself doesn't produce money, its only because people then exchange it for FIAT

Take that mechanism away and the allure of mining soon fades. Which is what I hope will eventually happen. It is much easier to make it so you can't convert crypto into real cash than it is to make GPUs that can't mine.

Soldato
Mining adds nothing useful for the resources it consumes.
Gamers are rightly angry because there isnt the capacity to ever keep up with mining demand so stock availability and more importantly at reasonable prices will never happen while mining exists and is profitable

Disagree. Computational workloads are required in lots of aspects of life, its your own opinion if they are not 'useful'. Gamers have no right to anything, its a tribal thing and there are alternatives like consoles, tablets, phones to also use - my point being that your overlooking is the PC is not just a gaming machine it can be versatile. Your contribution actually makes little sense as your condoning people buying parts to crunch on DC, yet if they mine its the devil's work!

You do realise there are plenty of gamers that also mine?

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Disagree. Computational workloads are required in lots of aspects of life, its your own opinion if they are not 'useful'. Gamers have no right to anything, its a tribal thing and there are alternatives like consoles, tablets, phones to also use - my point being that your overlooking is the PC is not just a gaming machine it can be versatile. Your contribution actually makes little sense as your condoning people buying parts to crunch on DC, yet if they mine its the devil's work!

You do realise there are plenty of gamers that also mine?

I'm not condoning projects like F@H, I'm not sure where you get that idea from?

I'm all for things like that. It also doesn't cause insatiable demand, I don't ever remember massive gpu farms dedicated to F@H popping up across the globe. AFAIK its never really affected the normal gpu supply like mining has?

Soldato
I'm all for things like that. It also doesn't cause insatiable demand, I don't ever remember massive gpu farms dedicated to F@H popping up across the globe. AFAIK its never really affected the normal gpu supply like mining has?

Likewise I never said DC/Folding affected global supply but if there was some incentive like money is to mining you would find it does affect the hardware being bought up to 'contribute'. Like I said in my example, people in the crunching circles had multiple machines and GPU's doing it - so yes people buy more than they need and put it to work. Its actually a valid point. The only reason mining is brutally adopted is purely down to money/greed. As with anything though, money prioritises waste - pick whatever industry you like!

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/f-h-multi-gfx-cards.18898729/

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Likewise I never said DC/Folding affected global supply but if there was some incentive like money is to mining you would find it does affect the hardware being bought up to 'contribute'. Like I said in my example, people in the crunching circles had multiple machines and GPU's doing it - so yes people buy more than they need and put it to work. Its actually a valid point. The only reason mining is brutally adopted is purely down to money/greed. As with anything though, money prioritises waste - pick whatever industry you like!

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/f-h-multi-gfx-cards.18898729/

And that's the reason I don't like mining, because it involves money and as you say anything that involves easy money creates unsustainable demand, and thus impacts on other uses of said item.

It's why I hope governments across the world clamp down and make it illegal to trade crypto for fiat currency.

Associate
Unfortunately there are also the miners that will carry on mining, in it for the long term, convinced there will be a big pay-out down the line - because crypto is the future etc etc. For me its a cash cow. Maybe crypto is the future. Maybe it isn't. No one knows.

Mining is hurting the planet, unless you are on a green energy tariff.. then its down the line of other questions like greenwashing etc.

Soldato
And that's the reason I don't like mining, because it involves money and as you say anything that involves easy money creates unsustainable demand, and thus impacts on other uses of said item.

It's why I hope governments across the world clamp down and make it illegal to trade crypto for fiat currency.

I agree with the former. The latter part is adoption and all gov's will adopt some form of digital currency in the next 5-10 years. The progression and efficiency will exponential so that it doesn't be as wasteful as it is today. That's what evolution is about.

Mining is hurting the planet, unless you are on a green energy tariff.. then its down the line of other questions like greenwashing etc.

Everything is about green now to stop polluting and destroying the planet. Driving cars, flying in planes lots of it is pointless and harmful. If you dig deep and not shallow read the mainstream, you will find a massive % of mining is utilising renewable energy - more so than many other industries.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I agree with the former. The latter part is adoption and all gov's will adopt some form of digital currency in the next 5-10 years. The progression and efficiency will exponential so that it doesn't be as wasteful as it is today. That's what evolution is about.

Everything is about green now to stop polluting and destroying the planet. Driving cars, flying in planes lots of it is pointless and harmful. If you dig deep and not shallow read the mainstream, you will find a massive % of mining is utilising renewable energy - more so than many other industries.

I have nothing against digital currency either, if it is sensibly controlled, but you cant have every man and his dog able to generate what is essentially free money, it's not sustainable in the long term.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
The argument that mining uses green energy is retarded.

That energy could be used elsewhere or for other things. Like I have solar. If I don't use it. It goes back to the grid for my neighbors to use.

It makes zero real difference to me if it goes back to the grid. Your argument would be I should just use it all because it's green and I can. Making overall energy consumption increase for no good reason.

Just because it's green doesn't mean you should be using as much as you can for something that really doesn't need to exist.

They could build something else there like a data centre offering cloud services and let them use the cheap green electric instead at least that is needed within the world.

It's like banging your head against a brick wall though once someone has put a stake down marking which side they lie on.

I'm not against mining but I do understand how much of a stupid waste of energy it is as well as earth's natural resources. All that silicon isn't just manufactured out of thin air as well as all the other raw materials used in making electronic devices

Associate
I have nothing against digital currency either, if it is sensibly controlled, but you cant have every man and his dog able to generate what is essentially free money, it's not sustainable in the long term.

Absolutely! The plebs shouldn't be able to make money how dare they!?

That privilege is reserved for the ruling classes, the very thought...

Back
Top Bottom