Doom VFR

Associate
Steam Store Page
£20
Release: Q4 this year
Vive and PSVR

DOOM® VFR brings the fast-paced, brutal gameplay fans of the series love to virtual reality. Immerse yourself in the UAC facility on Mars and the depths of Hell, as your skills are put to the test through intense combat and challenging puzzle-solving. Play as a cybernetic survivor who is activated by the UAC to fight the demon invasion, maintain order, and prevent catastrophic failure at the Mars facility. Lay waste to an army of demonic foes as you explore and interact with the outlandish world of DOOM from an entirely new perspective.

Set shortly after the demonic invasion on the UAC’s Martian research facility, you are the last known human survivor–until your death. Under a top-secret UAC operational contingency protocol, your consciousness is transferred to an artificial brain matrix. Your designated purpose: restore operational stability and use any means necessary to stop the onslaught of demons.

Reveal Trailer

More info:
In DOOM: VFR, the demons from Hell have wiped out everyone inside the UAC’s Martian research facility – except you. As the last known human survivor, you have to restore operational stability and stop the demonic invasion. There’s only one catch: you’re about to be slaughtered yourself. But thanks to a top-secret UAC research program, your consciousness has been transferred to an artificial intelligence matrix. Along with all kinds classic DOOM weaponry, you’ll be armed with the ability to Teleport and Jet-Strafe so you can move fast in combat and quickly close the distance between you and the demons, then blow them to bloody bits with your Tele-frag ability. As an A.I. operative, you can also transfer your consciousness to UAC devices and robots to solve puzzles and gain access to new areas (including two never-before-seen sections of the UAC Martian Research Facility).

“Developing a DOOM game specifically for virtual reality has provided an exciting opportunity to not only surround players with the world of DOOM like never before, but also let them experience and explore the UAC and Hell in new ways, playing as new characters with totally unique tools and abilities,” says Robert Duffy, CTO at id Software.

“Since the hallmark of any DOOM game is combat, we’ve made it our top priority to ensure moving, shooting and killing demons with overwhelming force in virtual reality is as brutal and rewarding as it is in the DOOM experience that fans have been enjoying for the past year,” adds DOOM Game Director Marty Stratton.

With brutal combat from the studio that pioneered the first-person shooter genre as well as modern VR, DOOM: VFR brings id Software’s trademark carnage to a standalone VR game. See Mars and Hell from a new perspective, and lay waste to an army of demonic foes in a definitive adventure custom built for PlayStation VR and VIVE.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wonder why there is no oculus support. Didn't the guy from ID move to oculus, or perhaps that is why??

Platform exclusives, especially for a new technology like this really irritates me.

Associate
OP
Platform exclusives, especially for a new technology like this really irritates me.
Just found out it's PSVR and Vive so far, so no exclusives.

Yet the trailer shows teleport locomotion so why the space?

So you can move around in your space along with teleporting. Best of both worlds. If you want to take a few steps to dodge something, you can, then teleport after.

Associate
I don't understand why roomscale would be holding the Vive back? If anything it's improving the experience to use roomscale.

It was in the context of the game just being roomscale only, there isn't a seated option.

Roomscale seems to be a unique selling point for Vive games, but that's a bit like presenting it as a 1 trick pony. I have a Vive but I don't have the space for decent roomscale. There may be other people in a similar position, which limits the demand for games aimed at the Vive (and the perception of it).

Associate
OP
Looks like trackpad locomotion will be available. From someone who got to demo this at E3:
Doom VFR currently has Teleport locomotion and Directional Dash locomotion. They will be supporting game pads with Doom VFR and thus will also have Trackpad locomotion as an option.

Soldato
I saw that earlier, hope it's as it says.
Only on downer, I think? The guys on the vr podcast were saying this isn't the full game. A shorter game wouldn't be so bad, as long as it includes all the upgrade bolt on stuff from the original.

Dead Effect has raised the bar to just about the top tier. Even though it's Doom, anything less now would be a step down.

Associate
OP
It's definitely not the full game, which doesn't bother me too much. I'd rather a shorter experience that is completely developed to make full use of VR. I just hope they don't go the other way and make it so short that it feels more like a tech demo and everyone complains.

Associate
OP
Picked this up for just under £16 through GMG offer. I can cope with that for 5 hours of gameplay. Seems reasonable to me. Can’t wait!

Back
Top Bottom