• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Doom Vulkan vs Open GL performance

Associate
Yesterday I tried to play Doom on my HTPC and was getting terrible stuttering at times.
I'm running game under vulkan on RX 480.
The weird thing is that before the game was running constantly at locked 60fps with vsync on i3 4330 and now that I've upgraded the CPU to i7 4790 the game stutters as hell.
I don't know what is causing it but since I played it last time the game was updated as well as drivers so it must be one of those.
CPU temp is under control and no throttling occurs.
Anyone else experiencing that.?
Oh and when stuttering occurs I'm getting huge CPU usage spikes and there are no background processes causing it.
All other games work better with the new CPU.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Presumably though, there's more to come right? Or is this as good as it gets for NVidia/Vulkan?

I'm asking because I've read that Doom's Vulkan is optimised for AMD and they're supposedly still working on squeezing more out of NVidia.

Well the titan x got new drivers with launch and is showing a 50% increase in performance over a 1080 in vulkan when in all other games its only 28%

Not sure whether thats cause the titan is ideally suited to Doom/Vulkan or whether there is some magic in the new drivers.

Soldato
Yesterday I tried to play Doom on my HTPC and was getting terrible stuttering at times.
I'm running game under vulkan on RX 480.
The weird thing is that before the game was running constantly at locked 60fps with vsync on i3 4330 and now that I've upgraded the CPU to i7 4790 the game stutters as hell.
I don't know what is causing it but since I played it last time the game was updated as well as drivers so it must be one of those.
CPU temp is under control and no throttling occurs.
Anyone else experiencing that.?
Oh and when stuttering occurs I'm getting huge CPU usage spikes and there are no background processes causing it.
All other games work better with the new CPU.

Did you reinstall your OS after changing cpu?

Caporegime
Completely unnecessary eps when your using the same MB and the CPU has the same architecture of the old one.

Yep, spot on.

I recently did a CPU and mobo swap and carried on with the old OS forr a week or so and all my scores were the same. I did however reinstall and that was purely down to Windows telling me I wasn't genuine and only having a W8.1 key and not 10 made me have to do that.

Associate
Just tried Vulkan for the first time. Before doing so I did a clean install of the latest drivers too, getting 80 - 120fps in outside areas. I'm using a 280x / fx6300 and everything is maxed at 1080 so I'm pretty damn happy with that result. Can't believe how well it runs.

Caporegime
Just been playing this and wow! Vulkan is amazing for my setup, everything on max except the nightmare setting and it runs super smooth, I don't think it has dropped from 60 fps at all where as with opengl, it was a stuttery mess with noticeable fps drops with the same settings.

EDIT:

The game is stunning looking too.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Vulkan runs pretty bad in the game on all my nVidia cards - seems to be some V-Sync type bug that is making it choppy and pulling framerate down.

Back
Top Bottom