Double "D" loop or buckle fastener?

Associate
Evening all, this is the first post I've ever made in Biker's Cafe so go easy.

I'm in the market for a new helmet and I'm currently torn between an AVG S4 or an HJC FG-15. Both have their pros and cons but the biggest difference between the two seems to be the type of fastener.

Personally I'm not fussed which I have but I've heard mixed opinions on which to go for.

On the side of DD I have:

-My Dad, riding for 30+ years, knowledgeable but a bit old school.
-A bike magazine a few months ago (not sure if it was Visor down or Bike) had an article on "kit that will save your life", this showed all the racers using DD.

Buckle fasteners have:

-The info packs I got after my CBT all said buckles are the new standard and the idea of them coming off of their own volition is out dated.
-All new helmets seem to use them (based on my trip to a few shops today).

If there's a hard and fast rule that one is better than the other that'd be good but otherwise I'm just interested in hearing a few opinions :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it's mainly down to personal preference - there's not much objective difference in saftey/performance etc.

For me, I'd go with the DD because:

1) There's fewer things to fail.
2) It still works no matter how stretched the strap gets.

:)

Soldato
DD for me, for much the same reasons as the above. Every lid I've had has been DD and the design has prooven itself over many years.

I brought a new lid about 8 weeks ago, the ones I looked at where all DD's. Arai, Airoh, Shoei. Although they where all MX or DS style lids that I looked at.

Associate
I take it by buckle you mean a thread through type with the moveable bar ? Not a snap together type setup ?

All quality lids use DD (Shoei , Arai etc ). Racers use DD.

My very first lid was a Kangol with a thread through buckle setup and I was forever having to retighten it as it rode up my head the faster I went.

Since then and thats over 30 years riding I've always used DD.

Personally I wouldn't feel safe with any buckle fastening helmet.

Soldato
My AVG has a buckle; it's probably easier to operate if you have gloves on or very cold hands, but my previous helmet had D rings and I had no problems with it. They both do the job, so it's down to personal preference.

One point in the D rings favour is you automatically tension it up correctly each time you put it on, whereas you have to set up the buckle type - but you shouldn't need to do this more than a few times in the helmets life.

Associate
OP
My brand new Shoei XR1100 (recent model) has a DD.

All quality lids use DD (Shoei , Arai etc ). Racers use DD.

I guess my budget didn't extend to looking at those brands :p

I was mainly trying on AGV, shark, HJC and Bell helmets that were sub £200 in fairness though.

Cheers for the replies though guys, it would seem the tried and tested DD is still favoured for good reason. I still can't seem to decide between the S4 and FG-15 though, ah well, back to weighing up pros and cons.

Tea Drinker
Don
My brand new Shoei XR1100 (recent model) has a DD.

+1

My old XR800 had a buckle which was starting to play up not engaging when I was getting rid of it but that was after 15 years.

I really wanted another buckle and didn't want a DD ring but the XR1100 was then only helmet to fit my gigantour head so I had to put up with it now I'm just used to it and feel more comfortable as it tightens to the right amount despite what your wearing i.e. snood

Soldato
DD coz as said if it comes undone the way you've fastened it means it won't kill you. Buckle are useful for commuters etc but i wouldn't trust them....

If either of them come undone you'll have a problem if you come off - not quite sure what you mean by this? :confused:

I'd be happy to trust either solution - if they have passed the British Standards tests than the strength of the fastener is perfectly adequate. Do you not trust seat belts in cars because they use a buckle?

Soldato
Have you tried a Shoei Raid II on by any chance? If it fits you well, it's as good as you'll get for around £200. It was on another level from the other helmets around the same price when I was in the market for one.

Oh, and it's a DD too.

Associate
OP
Have you tried a Shoei Raid II on by any chance? If it fits you well, it's as good as you'll get for around £200. It was on another level from the other helmets around the same price when I was in the market for one.

Oh, and it's a DD too.

I didn't see one of those but I'll definitely keep an eye out when I next pop to a store.

Soldato
I didn't see one of those but I'll definitely keep an eye out when I next pop to a store.

I've got 2 Raid IIs, I like them a lot. Only beef is the visor mechanism, both have broken, but that was from me riding 6 days a week in all weathers. I think commuting breaks pretty much any plastic mechanism :/

Aside from the dicky visor mechanism though, really comfortable and solid.

Back
Top Bottom