Double "D" loop or buckle fastener?

Tea Drinker
Don
You can buy new visor mechanisms on Ebay, Shoei will probably fix for nothing, I had the lining out of my XR800 fixed for free after about 2 years it was coming away

Shoei Raids have been discontinued there is a new model out in October therefore there are some good deals to be had :)

Soldato
I keep meaning to fit my pinlock, are they really as good as people make out? I quite like riding at slow speed with the visor up, is this out of the question with a pin lock even if the weather is dry?

Soldato
If either of them come undone you'll have a problem if you come off - not quite sure what you mean by this? :confused:

I'd be happy to trust either solution - if they have passed the British Standards tests than the strength of the fastener is perfectly adequate. Do you not trust seat belts in cars because they use a buckle?

sorry i should have explained myself better. when you do the DD strap up you loop it through 2 rings which hold it on/secure it. the bit of buttoning it up at the end just stops it flapping.

with a buckle it the buckle breaks you have nothing to hold it on. if a D ring breaks you still have sme token thing to keep it on your head.

Tea Drinker
Don
I keep meaning to fit my pinlock, are they really as good as people make out? I quite like riding at slow speed with the visor up, is this out of the question with a pin lock even if the weather is dry?

Doesn't stop you riding with the visor in any position it sits in the visable bit only, worth their weight in gold, I'm now at a loss what to do when I pull up at lights because you don't have to worry about fogging up what so ever.

Stick it in :)

Associate
Ratchet buckles for me.
Never owned a DD helmet but tried some on and found buckles were better for me.
Plenty of police and instructors I know use ratchet buckles - horses for courses really.
I have a AGV Gecko S4 btw, nice lid for the money. My gf just bought a HJC which a fair bit heavier than the AGV and has a buckle also but quieter than mine.

hth.

Pug

Pug

Soldato

they really are - do it you'll never look back.

not sure on why you think there may be an issue/limitation? Its like a inner layer of the visor stuck with to the actual visor.

Soldato
Well that was an interesting ride home, driving rain with strong winds with the added bonus of the rear brake making a grinding noise and grabbing when ever I braked.

Wish I fitted the pinlock last night!

Soldato
Right, pinlock fitted though I notice that it catches slightly on the top rubber seal on the visor (I also notice a few scratches where the visor has slid past the shell of the lid). Anyone elses do this? The preset lever is set to standard position.

Also the visor has a stick on it that says "Mist retardant but daytime use only with pinlock" Its a clear visor so why daytime use only?

Soldato
BTW I notice the Shoei manual references their quick release retention system so they must do an alternative to the DD.

Back
Top Bottom