download feastival 2006

Associate
METALLICAAAAA!

I was at the bar at the back of the arena for GnR, holding my beers to the sky and screaming "GNR ****ING SUCK!"

Shame really as I was quite looking forward to them.

Suspended
StixxUK said:
METALLICAAAAA!

I was at the bar at the back of the arena for GnR, holding my beers to the sky and screaming "GNR ****ING SUCK!"

God you're cool.

I can't believe you're talking about the same band I saw in Hammersmith a week ago. Is there a case of scenesterism going on here? A lot of people I know go to Download with the sole mission of bigging up the vagueist bands possible and slamming the rest :(

The GnR I saw played an absolutely mindblowing set, proper rock n roll, unlike "Avenged Sevenfold" that made me feel sorry for the state of todays music :(

Soldato
Chronos-X said:
God you're cool.

I can't believe you're talking about the same band I saw in Hammersmith a week ago. Is there a case of scenesterism going on here? A lot of people I know go to Download with the sole mission of bigging up the vagueist bands possible and slamming the rest :(

The GnR I saw played an absolutely mindblowing set, proper rock n roll, unlike "Avenged Sevenfold" that made me feel sorry for the state of todays music :(

GnR suck end of.

Soldato
Chronos-X said:
God you're cool.

But its not about bigging up the vagueist bands possible. There are thousands of amazing bands out there that don't get as much media attention, publicity or just plain hype so they're not stuck infront of your face all the time and tbh I think a lot of those bands dont actually want that kind of publicity anyway. Just because you haven't heard of a band doesn't make them vague and indeed doesn't make them worse than a huge band like GnR. On the contrary I saw much better talent in much earlier slots over the weekend.

I didn't watch GnR. I walked straight past them from after Prodigy in the snickers over to the Gibson stage to watch Sickofitall. I laugh at any suggestion that this makes me a scenester, it just means I'm not too bothered about watching Axl and his backing band. Id rather go watch a quality hardcore band who Im going to enjoy. I would have loved the sunday night to have closed with Hatebreed, Bleeding through, Throwdown and Sickofitall on the main stage. These are all Hardcore bands, so obviously my taste leans more towards that genre, whereas many others lean towards classic rock (GnR). Sickofitall's first album release was in 1992 if Im correct, that's hardly "sceneism" is it :)

I suppose all Im saying is, some people have differening tastes, and some people are just blind to other music.

Soldato
StixxUK said:
METALLICAAAAA!

Sounds like you were stood just behind me then...

I think the biggest problem is I wanted to see them and for them to be great. Instead they were just ok(when they bothered to play). The tatrums and stupid solos and instramentals just added to the disappointment.

I hope we get some decent head line acts for next year. So far since they've been running this was the 1st year I've seen all the headliner on the main stage across a weekend. Previous years have either been weather problems (Audioslave) or just plain didn't want to see them.

Metallica back touring off of a new album would be awsome :)

Soldato
Pezboy said:
A7X put on a fantastic set :o

The simple truth is, all the headliners (tool, metallica and gnr) tore apart all the raved new bands including a7x, trivium and bullet, in terms of both stage show and music. Thats not to say the new bands were bad, they simply do not have the musical presence to compete, and they never will.

Edit: Mind you, the a7x set was at its best when they played Walk - funny that...

Pez

Pez

Soldato
nero120 said:
The simple truth is, all the headliners (tool, metallica and gnr) tore apart all the raved new bands including a7x, trivium and bullet, in terms of both stage show and music. Thats not to say the new bands were bad, they simply do not have the musical presence to compete, and they never will.

Edit: Mind you, the a7x set was at its best when they played Walk - funny that...

Completely disagree :)

I hate Tool with a passion, they just dont sit well with me. Fair enough, Metallica completely levelled A7X, and I 100% expected them to. As for GnR, I think they are hyped to the hills, and A7X stormed them.

Soldato
J1nxy said:
I think the biggest problem is I wanted to see them and for them to be great. Instead they were just ok(when they bothered to play). The tatrums and stupid solos and instramentals just added to the disappointment.

LOL!!!! You illustrate my point about scenesters perfectly:

1.) "Tantrums": Gnr came out on time (the only headlinerto do so), and they only stopped playing for about 20 mins total while all the pee and crap was cleared off the stage. For this they got booed by the mob and the guitarist only complained that he was there to play a "rock show" and not get "a concussion from all the crap being thrown about", and rightly so. Yeah, great crowd. :rolleyes:

2.) "stupid solos and instramentals": Erm. I don't quite know how to put this, download is a MUSIC FESTIVAL!!!! JESUS!!! The musicianship displayed by the guitarists and Dizzy on piano was amazing and it was a pleasure to see some musicians that actually understood music as opposed to your paint by numbers Trivium, a7x, bullet, etc who simply regurgitate scales and crap. Totally unmemorable ****. Gnr were amazing and the instrumentals were a solemn message to all those bands who claim to be "inspired" by them. For a music or rock fan to actually criticise them for this is frankly unbelievable.

Like I said. Scenesters.

Soldato
Pezboy said:
Completely disagree :)

I hate Tool with a passion, they just dont sit well with me. Fair enough, Metallica completely levelled A7X, and I 100% expected them to. As for GnR, I think they are hyped to the hills, and A7X stormed them.

AAHHAAAAHAAHAAHA!

Stormed them with what exactly? A cover of a Pantera song. Get real.

Pez

Pez

Soldato
nero120 said:
AAHHAAAAHAAHAAHA!

Stormed them with what exactly? A cover of a Pantera song. Get real.

Mate, I've accepted your opinion.

I still think GnR were rubbish. I belive that A7X put on a much better show, were less egotistical, and just plain better than GnR.

Its you that keeps bringing reference to Walk, too.. last time I checked, that was Pantera, so forget about it.

If you want to play down my argument by calling me a scenester then go ahead, as long as you feel better :)

Soldato
Pezboy said:
Mate, I've accepted your opinion.

I still think GnR were rubbish. I belive that A7X put on a much better show, were less egotistical, and just plain better than GnR.

Its you that keeps bringing reference to Walk, too.. last time I checked, that was Pantera, so forget about it.

If you want to play down my argument by calling me a scenester then go ahead, as long as you feel better :)

All Im trying to say is that the animosity towards gnr being displayed by people is completely over the top and the points raised (by J1nxy, for one) are untrue.

If you enjoyed a7x more then thats totally up to you, but no one can say that gnr were bad because they simply werent! Anyone who says that either:

1.) Didnt see them
2.) Has no clue what makes a good show
3.) Has no clue about musicianship, singing, performing arts, etc
4.) Is just saying it to jump on the bandwagon

My point about Walk was simply that it was by far the best and most memorable part of their set, and that doesnt exactly set them up well really. I think they are an alright band, but their songs are simply not memorable to me. I think they were one of the best out of the non headliners though (second to Alice in Chains of course ;))

Soldato
nero120 said:
LOL!!!! You illustrate my point about scenesters perfectly:

1.) "Tantrums": Gnr came out on time (the only headlinerto do so), and they only stopped playing for about 20 mins total while all the pee and crap was cleared off the stage. For this they got booed by the mob and the guitarist only complained that he was there to play a "rock show" and not get "a concussion from all the crap being thrown about", and rightly so. Yeah, great crowd. :rolleyes:

2.) "stupid solos and instramentals": Erm. I don't quite know how to put this, download is a MUSIC FESTIVAL!!!! JESUS!!! The musicianship displayed by the guitarists and Dizzy on piano was amazing and it was a pleasure to see some musicians that actually understood music as opposed to your paint by numbers Trivium, a7x, bullet, etc who simply regurgitate scales and crap. Totally unmemorable ****. Gnr were amazing and the instrumentals were a solemn message to all those bands who claim to be "inspired" by them. For a music or rock fan to actually criticise them for this is frankly unbelievable.

Like I said. Scenesters.

Scenester??? what the hell???? am I not entitled to my opionion on this??? How long do you think I've been going to see this sort of music??

But did you see anybody else complain over the entire weekend??? have these people never even played a show before in front of the type of crowd you get at festivals???? The only times I've ever seen anybody else complain is when the mic has had problems take the set Disturbed played a few years back where we had an instramental version of Believe as the mic didn't work. Did they complain yes to the roadie but they just kept on going.

Did I complain about the solos the likes of Kurt did?? no as they were relevant to the set they played, a piano recital in the middle of a bloody rock concert is not what I paid my money to see and the muscianship while good was sure as hell not amazing by any stretch of the imagination. The likes of Soulfly, Soil, Avenged Sevenfold even Fightstar put on a better musical display than this lot.

Scenester???? I can't believe how ******* mad that has made me feel

Soldato
I like GnR's music, but i have to admit that its more "the axl rose band" now - they've always been a bit controversial live :)

Soldato
J1nxy said:
Scenester??? what the hell???? am I not entitled to my opionion on this??? How long do you think I've been going to see this sort of music??

But did you see anybody else complain over the entire weekend??? have these people never even played a show before in front of the type of crowd you get at festivals???? The only times I've ever seen anybody else complain is when the mic has had problems take the set Disturbed played a few years back where we had an instramental version of Believe as the mic didn't work. Did they complain yes to the roadie but they just kept on going.

Did I complain about the solos the likes of Kurt did?? no as they were relevant to the set they played, a piano recital in the middle of a bloody rock concert is not what I paid my money to see and the muscianship while good was sure as hell not amazing by any stretch of the imagination. The likes of Soulfly, Soil, Avenged Sevenfold even Fightstar put on a better musical display than this lot.

Scenester???? I can't believe how ******* mad that has made me feel

You have your opinion I guess. But I thought Download was a Rock festival, not a "lets get drunk, act like *****, swear, go 'circle of doom', throw bottles at people, riot, and complain when the traditional embodiment of our pathetic attitude appears on stage" kind of festival. I guess I was wrong eh?

No swearing! FF

Soldato
To be honest I would have loved it if Velvet Revolver had been there. I just cant stand Axl and have never been really into GnR's so I didnt stay around for the show... that and I needed a bit of a sit down after the Prodigy. Its a shame that a portion of the crowd seemed intent on ruining the show for those who had come specifically to see GnR's.

Also while im at it, what's wrong with some of the people in the circle pits. Now if someone falls in the pit you try to pick them up. Well thats what I've been doing since I started going to gigs 10 or so years ago. I saw far too many people stamping and kicking people... Really gets on my goat! Everyones there to have a good time but going out purely to hurt people really aint on! I'm guessing these are the same people who find it funny to lauch 2litre bottles of water into the crowd. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom