Dpd rant

Soldato
The delivery lottery is rarely kind for long, whoever you use. I had my first DX Express delivery last week.

Friday:
7:01am text to say delivery between 9:30am & 11:30am
8:03am text to say they tried to deliver. Card's on mat, but I didn't hear the doorbell ring.
8:04am I reschedule delivery for Monday.

Monday: tracking shows parcel at depot all day
2:00pm text to say they can't deliver today
2:01pm I reschedule for Tuesday

Tuesday: tracking shows parcel at depot
11:00am parcel left on doorstep. Only noticed a van driving off, so I checked.
2:00pm text to say they can't deliver today and I need to reschedule.

Next time I see DX Express is being used I'll camp on the porch.

I think the level of service depends on where you live.

In Stafford, I find that Royal Mail are one of the best.

Hermes used to be dreadful, but have been pretty decent during the pandemic years.

DPD are mixed bag.

- Some deliveries do make it to my house ok.

- One of my recent deliveries went to a different house number of a different street, although I was in. The DPD app said which house it was, so I collected it no probs.

- Another recent item did make it to my house no probs, but the item was faulty. The retailer gave me a DPD label where I could drop it off at Millet's outdoor shop in the Stafford high street. Dropped it off. The retailer received it back and confirmed that it was faulty and a replacement is being shipped out. Again I was in the house when I could hear a van reversing outside (beep beep beep), then the app said "sorry we missed you" with a photo attached, again of a different street! Next up, I was now told to collect it from Matalan in Stafford. The app also said that "by delivering it to Matalan, this has made this delivery more carbon-neutral". If you know Stafford at all, you'll know that Matalan is quite far out in a business park. I had to get 2 buses there and the same 2 buses again for the return trip. Ok it's better than taking a car, but still, it's hardly carbon-neutral :p Also, I don't get why DPD couldn't have delivered it back to to Millet's which is in the high street and easy to get to by using my normal bus journey.

- Not so recently, but rather bizarre: My new phone had a designated delivery day. So I waited in on that day, then with about 1 hour to go, the DPD app said that I have deferred my delivery by a day. No delivery attempt made as the driver was about an hour away. I phoned up DPD to query it, and they said it was neither me nor the driver that deferred it and they couldn't figure it out. I asked if they could get a message out to the driver, but they said they couldn't so I had to wait in for the next day.

The crux of this I think is that my area must be served by numerous DPD drivers and some know the area better than others. Amazon can be like this as well.

Soldato
Be glad it's not Royal Fail.

Was waiting for a Tracked 48 delivery which was already 2 days late, I wasn't in because they didn't give me an exact time on the new date, got an email saying we missed you so returned package to sorting office.

Completely useless and delayed me getting it for yet another day. Both neighbours were in so they could have left it with them but being the morons/wise people they are chose not to bother.

DPD are glorious in comparison

Associate
DPD are the best for me overall just had one issue with them.

Was waiting for a Ninja Foodi which is a bit heavy, the driver just took a picture of a random bit of grass down my street and said he couldn’t deliver it. Asked for it to be delivered to work the next day but it never left the depo, then paid for Saturday delivery but again never left the depo. Finally delivered on Monday 4 days late, turns out some drivers don’t do heavy stuff so leave it behind.

Soldato
From my experience DPD are about the best to the point that I will not order from some companies because they don't use them however as with all couriers the individuals can make a difference. My local DPD drivers know the post code for my work address is way off so they learn and remember. The national drivers don't and always struggle to find the address. Hopefully what 3 words plus adding text messages will sort this.

Other courier drivers have done worse though like try to steal the delivery and delivering to totally wrong address on the commercial estate leaving me to sort it.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I think the level of service depends on where you live.

In Stafford, I find that Royal Mail are one of the best.

Hermes used to be dreadful, but have been pretty decent during the pandemic years.

DPD are mixed bag.

- Some deliveries do make it to my house ok.

- One of my recent deliveries went to a different house number of a different street, although I was in. The DPD app said which house it was, so I collected it no probs.

- Another recent item did make it to my house no probs, but the item was faulty. The retailer gave me a DPD label where I could drop it off at Millet's outdoor shop in the Stafford high street. Dropped it off. The retailer received it back and confirmed that it was faulty and a replacement is being shipped out. Again I was in the house when I could hear a van reversing outside (beep beep beep), then the app said "sorry we missed you" with a photo attached, again of a different street! Next up, I was now told to collect it from Matalan in Stafford. The app also said that "by delivering it to Matalan, this has made this delivery more carbon-neutral". If you know Stafford at all, you'll know that Matalan is quite far out in a business park. I had to get 2 buses there and the same 2 buses again for the return trip. Ok it's better than taking a car, but still, it's hardly carbon-neutral :p Also, I don't get why DPD couldn't have delivered it back to to Millet's which is in the high street and easy to get to by using my normal bus journey.

- Not so recently, but rather bizarre: My new phone had a designated delivery day. So I waited in on that day, then with about 1 hour to go, the DPD app said that I have deferred my delivery by a day. No delivery attempt made as the driver was about an hour away. I phoned up DPD to query it, and they said it was neither me nor the driver that deferred it and they couldn't figure it out. I asked if they could get a message out to the driver, but they said they couldn't so I had to wait in for the next day.

The crux of this I think is that my area must be served by numerous DPD drivers and some know the area better than others. Amazon can be like this as well.
Put the sauce away

Associate
When DPD start becoming unreliable nationally is when we're all doomed.

All the others can do one. Hermes get a free pass as they don't pretend to be good, just some chap in a banged out vehicle that kinda works.

Permabanned
Our DPD deliveries have always been reliable. Same with Hermes/Evri.
I've never really had an issue with any delivery company thankfully. I think I can remember maybe twice not getting a delivery from Royal Mail, however, that's because our street got merged with another one (used to be two separate streets with a path/grass verge between them, now one long road), so if you get a new postie and they are new to the area, they may not realise that one street becomes another as you walk along it.

Man of Honour
DPD are terrible here, not to mention bloody expensive. No time slot at all, sometimes I don't even get notified of the day they will turn up and on top of that no more free delivery with anyone because DPD classes us as not UK mainland which is pathetic. Hermes has been more reliable hereand that's a company that get's complained about across the whole UK.

Soldato
DPD have been perfect for me. The best courier by a mile. I hate it when I find out something is being shipped by Hermes, ParcelForce or DHL etc.

I would happily pay an additional premium to ensure everything I bought came from DPD.

Permabanned
I work for DPD (done a lot of multi drop driving for various big names) and DPD is by far the best. You do get a few bad drivers though.. the system we use (Saturn) through Honeywell scanners are the best I've used.
I follow the rules such as needs a sign/do not leave in safe place (unless specifically asked for by customer) as it's just generally not worth the hassle. I am ODF for them and I really enjoy the job.
Like I say you will get some bad apples but generally as a whole most are good couriers.

Soldato
I had a problem with fraud from DPD and XDP? One stole a laptop destined for my Dad (who at the time had Parkinson's). The other tried to pass off a photo of a box and proof of delivery of a large letter envelope.

Soldato
Why do most online computer shops use dpd and not royal mail.

Again dpd delivery it to the wrong address, leaving it on the front door of the house. When it clearly says not to be left in a safe place, and must be given to a person.

On top of that I had call from DPD asking me if I could pick it up, as the driver was unable to pick it up from the wrong address and they were worried it might be taken.

Told them no, that's your problem, of course in a polite way. It seems a regular thing with dpd.

I never had any problems with royal mail, I would really prefer royal mail delivery.
Dpd is by the best in my area, DHL worst like did just what you described with DPD but they have always left note, called or taken back as needed in my area.

Royal mail hit and miss. Just all depends on person and location rather than the company in my view tbh.

Associate
i have to say the only time i ever had problems was when its new drivers with any of the companies, once you get to know them i never have any problems

Back
Top Bottom