Draytek 2860 WAN throughput

Associate
Someone I know has recently upgraded their Virgin Media internet from 200Mbit to their Gig1 service. They get 320Mbit through their Draytek 2860 which surprised me that it was that high. Currently investigating a replacement.

Associate
Really?

When I'm running my 2860 in software only mode, it uses 80% CPU when it's putting through 75Bits. Maybe when it's running hardware acceleration it really can push 300Mbits, but that will only be for 128 sessions, as that's all the hardware acceleration can work with.

Soldato

I'm pretty confident the 500mbps figure was for Lan to Lan and Draytek stated it as "1gbps" in some literature with the official figure of 900mbps (or around that).

To be honest, it's been a while since i've seen/used one and i'm going off rusty memory. But it's been EOL'd for a year or two any way so i'm not sure it really matters.

Edit - US site showing the 900mbps figure - https://www.draytek.com/products/vigor2960/

Soldato
I get 380DL/40UL on a VM350 package with a 2860, I've not disabled any firewall rules at all. The only thing I did to break the 200 barrier was enable hardware acceleration, but as a home user we aren't ever going to get anywhere near 128 sessions.

Associate
I get 380DL/40UL on a VM350 package with a 2860, I've not disabled any firewall rules at all. The only thing I did to break the 200 barrier was enable hardware acceleration, but as a home user we aren't ever going to get anywhere near 128 sessions.

Interesting so what was the maximum throughput you had in software only 190mbit?

I'd be interested in know what your ppa -v settings are?

DrayTek> ppa -v
%PPA is disable
%PPA Protocol TCP 0, UDP 0
%PPA two way disable
%PPA time is 1
%PPA range is 192
%PPA LAN entries 0
%PPA WAN entries 0
DrayTek>

Above are the the settings when using software only. Enabling hardware acceleration when using the built in VDSL modem seems to bugger thing up, (but pointless using hardware acceleration anway since VDSL max's out at 79mbit), seems stable when using it on WAN2.

Soldato
Interesting so what was the maximum throughput you had in software only 190mbit?

I'd be interested in know what your ppa -v settings are?

DrayTek> ppa -v
%PPA is disable
%PPA Protocol TCP 0, UDP 0
%PPA two way disable
%PPA time is 1
%PPA range is 192
%PPA LAN entries 0
%PPA WAN entries 0
DrayTek>

Above are the the settings when using software only. Enabling hardware acceleration when using the built in VDSL modem seems to bugger thing up, (but pointless using hardware acceleration anway since VDSL max's out at 79mbit), seems stable when using it on WAN2.

It probably was in the region of 180 - 200mbit. With regards ppa-a settings, it will need to wait until the weekend when I can get to a none work machine with a telnet client on it, unless there is somewhere within the Router GUI I can get it from.

Associate
I'd be incredibly grateful for any help offered here. I've just signed up for VM 1Gb and have a new Draytek 2927ax. VM Hub 4 in modem mode and tested before doing so, it delivers the goods. Hub 4 to Wan 2 on the Draytek and the goods stop being delivered big time. Wireless on either 2.4 ghz or 5ghz I'm getting 100 down at best. Up is great at 45/50 ish. I've tried hardware accel and checked QoS is off - in fact pretty much everything is disabled.

I'm using google wifi and a speed test gives 800 /50 which is bizarre as that's not delivered to any device. using a SSID on the Draytek directly makes no difference. I'm not a techie but my IT man is and it has him stumped at the moment too.

Any thoughts?

Soldato
What are you using for speed tests?
And are you using the latest 4.3.2 firmware for 2927ax (ax uses different firmware to other 2927 variants)?
What device are you using to test WiFi and what WiFi support does it have?

I would work backwards making sure ethernet is OK and then getting WiFi sorted. I would also recommend restoring the 2927 back to defaults and setting it back up just in case there was an issue with the initial setup.

Firstly, with the HUB4 in modem only mode and connected via ethernet to your system, what is your speed results?

Secondly, to rule out WAN issues on the 2927, HUB4 connected to WAN1 (any reason you're using WAN2?) and your system connected via ethernet to LAN1/P1 (typically other ports are set to other LANs/VLANs by default), what are your results for when speed testing?

Then with WiFi, make sure Mesh is disabled along with 5GHz and just set up a single 2.4GHz SSID with b/g/n mixed mode enabled set to a "quiet" channel (typically either 1, 6, or 11 for 2.4GHz; can use AP Discovery).
I would also recommend setting the country code under Advanced Settings.
Then connect (be near the 2927), make note of your link connection and then do a speed test.

And then do something similar with a single 5GHz SSID and see what the link connection and speed test results are?

I've tried hardware accel..

Initially disable HA; it'll limit to around 800mbps iirc but it can cause some side effects with WiFi.

Last edited:
Associate
@visibleman, thank you for helpful reply. I am on the latest firmware, new cat 6 cable, and using fast.com for speedtest (and ookla). Am getting 800 /50 when wired. Wireless am following the ssid suugestions I'm still not getting beyond 100 /50. I can't recall why I'm using WAN2, I think because on my old Draytek that was the correct port for cable. I will change to WAN1 and LAN1 to see if that makes a difference.

I've disabled HA and added the country code. Will report back tomorrow when there's no pressure on me domestically!

Soldato
Am getting 800 /50 when wired.

WAN/LAN side is ok then.

Wireless am following the ssid suggestions I'm still not getting beyond 100 /50.

Is that 2.4GHz or 5GHz?
What are you primarily using to test the WiFi?
I'm guessing you have tried a number of WiFi devices? Just a little odd that you're getting the upload but not download.

I'm assuming you haven't got any Bandwidth Management limits set (this can be set on each WiFi radio as well as on the entire router)?

Are you able to post screenshots of your 'Advanced Settings' of both 2.4 and 5GHz?

I would personally backup the current config, do a factory reset, set up the basics eg - WAN/LAN and a simple SSID and take it from there. Failing that, email Draytek - they're generally pretty good at sorting any niggles.

Associate
The better speeds are on the 5ghz, most of the speedtests are from my iphone 13 or MS Surface. This is going to sound poor but I don't seem to be able to upload a screen shot :(

No bandwidth management and yes, the upload speed is great. The other bizarre thing is when I do a speed test from the google wifi app it gives a terrific speed, but this isn't reflected by the individual devices on the google mesh.

Last edited:
Associate
@visibleman, I didn't go quite as far as factory reset, did move from WAN2 to WAN1, and rebooted. Also disabled 5ghz to see if just uisng 2.4 would help but I'm still getting 100 ish /40 max. This is despite google wifi reporting speeds of 884 /49 - it's most odd that doesn't travel down to the connecetd devices. Wired I'm getting 750 / 40 which is ok, not sure of the cabaility of the wireless card.

I don't think it can be the google set up as using the Draytek wireless doesn't get any better results

My IT man at work is puzzled too, he's been talking to Draytek but nothing positive so far.

Soldato
@visibleman, I didn't go quite as far as factory reset...

Realistically i think that would be the now go-to as arguably a basic setup for your 2927ax should be as simple (famous last words) as setting up Internet Access/WAN to use DHCP from the Hub4 (in modem mode) and enabling a single SSID for testing.

I don't think it can be the google set up..

I've completely missed that in your previous posts.

What's the "Google setup", is that Google WiFi or Nest Mesh WiFi (ie - one of these https://store.google.com/product/google_wifi)?
And is that to be your primary WiFi with the 2927ax purely doing routing OR, is that to work alongside the 2927ax WiFi?
How is the "Google setup" connected? Is it ethernet to the 2927ax?

Back
Top Bottom