Dreaded Appointment

Soldato
Sorry to drag this up again but just thought I'd give a quick update. It's been tough, really tough and my wife's taking it particularly badly. I'm coming to terms with it slowly but she's consumed by guilt. Not just the guilt of making the decision to end his life, but of the times she used to complain about dog hair etc. She spent the majority of the time with Max, as she was home all day and worked in the evening. He loved her and was always by her side, especially as he got older. When he was younger, he used to sit at the window just before she was due home, I swear he had a wrist watch! I try to remind her he loved her unconditionally, and that everyone complains about the endless amount of dog hair etc, but it's falling on deaf ears at the moment. :(

From experience you need to get a new dog, my dad was devastated when his German shepherd died and that really helped.

Caporegime
Hard decision but the right one. We are almost there with our 16 year whippet x staffie. She is losing the use of her back legs and toilet control. Not bad enough yet to put her to sleep but has been a noticeable deterioration over the last year.

Soldato
OP
Thanks again everyone. I think I mentioned in my original post that now's not the time to think of another dog for a variety of reasons. If our dream to retire to the country in a few years becomes a reality, we'll definitely reconsider. I think my wife is in some sort of delayed shock. She was unusually calm on the day last week but has been inconsolable since. My daughter's coming round later who came with me when we picked him up at 8 weeks, so another difficult couple of hours ahead. :(

Soldato
I didn't think it would come this soon, but last night my 9yr old bulldog had seizures all throughout the night. We knew she was getting on (for a bulldog) and while she's been in great health up until now, seeing her in this pain is just so sad. She's at the vets right now in their hospital, but they have said the chances are she will not be coming home. We'll go and see her this afternoon and most likely say goodbye.

Such a hard thing to do.

Soldato
OP
I didn't think it would come this soon, but last night my 9yr old bulldog had seizures all throughout the night. We knew she was getting on (for a bulldog) and while she's been in great health up until now, seeing her in this pain is just so sad. She's at the vets right now in their hospital, but they have said the chances are she will not be coming home. We'll go and see her this afternoon and most likely say goodbye.

Such a hard thing to do.
So sorry to hear that. :(

Soldato
Sorry to hear this OP. I feel for you, really I do. I had my 11.5 year old Lab put to sleep last month. Hardest thing I have ever done. I was there till the end. I lay on the floor spooning him, his head on my arm, stroking his face, ears, neck whispering to him all the good times we had on his days out, playing tug in the garden, telling him how worried I was when he went in the sea with big waves after a yellow tennis ball I chucked in too far. Couldn't see him for ages because of the waves. He was out there for 10 minutes at least. Then out of a wave he came, ball in mouth, had a shake, dropped the ball, wagged his tail, and wanted to go back in. That was a heart stopping moment. The vet and I laughed when I told Louis (my dog) this, he was gone by then but I had to tell him how much he worried me.

After 30 seconds or so he was heavy and he was a rest.
The vets is round the corner from my house and I walk past everyday at least 4 times. I always look at the building and picture him in the room with me. I know people say don't get another dog for a while but to be honest, I wanted one only a week after. I miss him but I miss the companionship more. The excitement when they see you, the dog hairs, drool, water all over the floor next to his bowl. When I cleaned up the last of the poo in the garden that was a hard time. Silly I know. It was only last week I think I have got all the dog hairs up. I clean every day and hoover 4 times a week.

My biggest regret was not asking the vet to shave a bit of his hair off. I wanted a tuft to keep. That upsets me. Collecting it from around the house isnt the same.

Sorry for you loss OP and to others who have recently lost loved a one.

We don't deserve dogs.

Caporegime
Sorry to drag this up again but just thought I'd give a quick update. It's been tough, really tough and my wife's taking it particularly badly. I'm coming to terms with it slowly but she's consumed by guilt. Not just the guilt of making the decision to end his life, but of the times she used to complain about dog hair etc. She spent the majority of the time with Max, as she was home all day and worked in the evening. He loved her and was always by her side, especially as he got older. When he was younger, he used to sit at the window just before she was due home, I swear he had a wrist watch! I try to remind her he loved her unconditionally, and that everyone complains about the endless amount of dog hair etc, but it's falling on deaf ears at the moment. :(

I would always think about it like this:

You gave him the best possible home and the most love that anyone or family could have given him.

He was always part of your life and you were his whole life.

He could have gone somewhere else, somewhere worse where he wasn't lived or cared for, but you did everything you could and sadly he just came to the end.

There's nothing to be guilty for, although it is completely normal to be sad and to grieve.

Back
Top Bottom