Dreamcast!!

Associate
deSade said:
Never played Shen Mue - was it really good?

ive never really been into games with a story and an RPG etc usually play easy games etc

But this was somthing else, as soon as you watch the intro you just dont want to put the controller down, the story is that good the game is so addictive.

I wish they could just put the full story on the next game they make rather than splitting it up into like 8 games lol

Ryo_CherryTree_800_600.jpg

Hazuki_Dojo_April_800_600.jpg

Amihama_Dusk_800_600.jpg

Wish_Road_Dusk_800_600.jpg

http://shenmue.planets.gamespy.com/ for all ure shenmue needs lol

The year is 1986, the place is Yokosuka, Japan. The normally tranquil day-to-day life of Ryo Hazuki is suddenly and irrecoverably shattered by uninvited vistors. A man wearing dark green Chinese clothes appears at the Hazuki family home with two black-suited thugs. This man uses a powerful style of martial arts, the likes of which Ryo has never before seen, to engage his father Iwao in fierce battle. Ryo attempts to intervene and help his father, but the obvious disparity in power is too much. Ryo is beaten down and taken hostage as the man questions Iwao, "Where is the mirror?" Having no other recourse, Iwao reluctantly tells him. Once this mysterious objust is in the man's possession, he again attacks Iwao. "Do you remember Zhao Sun Ming?" From these words Ryo learns of a shocking truth from the past. His father was responsible for killing someone long ago. And then, Iwao is knocked down in defeat. Ryo pulls his father close and feels him take his last breath. "Lan Di" The man with the ominous embroidery of a glittering dragon on his clothing, the responsible. What of the stolen mirror? Who is this Lan Di? Vowing to seek revenge, Ryo embarks on a journey to unravel the mystery surrounding his father's death and deliver justice to the man responsible....

Soldato
the only problem with shenmue is the voice acting, enough to make you cringe at times. It's as if sega didn't bother testing it on normal individuals before releasing it. Instead it was probably tested on japanese people who can hardly speak english.

apart from that, awesome game

Soldato
LOL - I just looked on fleaBay for Dreamcasts, thinking of buying one with Shenmue - and came across one auction selling 30 consoles & loads of accessories for a current bid of £82!!! :eek:

[Stock clearance]

Soldato
Mic said:
Toy Commander rocked. I loved that game.

I sadly dont have a memory unit anymore:(
What was Toy Commander?

Also - how would you compare the graphics of the Dreamcast against, say, the PS2?

Last edited:

Mic

Mic

Soldato
deSade said:
What was Toy Commander?

Also - how would you compare the graphics of the Dreamcast against, say, the PS2?
Never had a ps2 really. And iv only ever played vice city and san andreas on it. And they are late in the PS2 lifespan using the full performance of the system. I dont think the dreamcast ever got to use its full potential.

Toy commander was a game where you undertook missions using 'toys' as your vehicle. Flying around a house. It was fun. You could be a tiny little plane shooting pencils or erasers. Or a little car ragging it around the kitchen floor. I loved it.

Soldato
deSade said:

I would say think similar to the Gamecube. Everything is very clear and well defined, but it probably hasnt got the array of fancy effects the PS2 has.

Mic

Mic

Soldato
Nismo said:
I would say think similar to the Gamecube. Everything is very clear and well defined, but it probably hasnt got the array of fancy effects the PS2 has.
Not a chance. The dreamcast never got enough development (imho) time to get to those levels of visuals.

Ow, and im pretty sure the cube has better graphics than the ps2. Or am i mistaken?

Soldato
Mic said:
Not a chance. The dreamcast never got enough development (imho) time to get to those levels of visuals.

Not sure what your saying there, I didnt mean that the DC was on the same kind of level as the GC, just that its graphics had a similar style - crisp, bright and vibrant.

Soldato
Nismo said:
Sounds good enough for some retro gaming fun then - I'll defo get one. :)

Man of Honour
Nismo said:
:eek:

It was nowhere near the GC in terms of power.

Edit: Ignore my post, didn't refresh.

Last edited:
Soldato
Kreeeee said:
:eek:

It was nowhere near the GC in terms of power.

Ack, it appears my post was taken the wrong way :o

I just said 'think similar', more in terms of the style of the graphics rather than the actual performance.

Sorry for the confusion :(

Mic

Mic

Soldato
Nismo said:
Not sure what your saying there, I didnt mean that the DC was on the same kind of level as the GC, just that its graphics had a similar style - crisp, bright and vibrant.
I suppose your right. a lot of similar 'styles'

Soldato
Gamestation shockingly sell DCs for a decent price. I picked up a fully boxed one with all the bits for 17.99, which compared to some of their other retro 'bargains' is pretty good :)

Associate
I prefared the original powerstone. It was a bit unbalanced but was very original when it first came out. The graphics are still good today, and the animation is very fluid in the way that the charactures interact with their environment.

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

Soldato
I can't understand why DC's are so cheap on the used market, when there are an array of fantastic titles out there. Are only the gaming elite interested? :(

Back
Top Bottom