Driving a mr2 on bald tyres

Permabanned
Hello all. Since my dad had got an mr2 (2003) for my mother for here anniversary (wedding), I have had my eyes on it. we have had it for like 6 months.

Brilliant car revs really well 6000+ :D. Only problem was that the rear tyres were totally bald. I mean they were like slicks. :rolleyes: And it was raining. So here i was taking the bend at 70mph in 3rd, when the rear of the car swung round. I nearly crapped myself. Dying at 17 :( Anyways the car was facing the wrong way and we were doing 70 backwards.

Bleh. I somehow escaped without damaging the car. However I think I need some new rear tyres.

2 questions. One how do you stop that happening (even with new tyres and please dont tell me to slow down, that what makes it fun). Also does anyone have any tyres to recommend. I dont know what is decent and what is not.

The sizes I need are 215/40/16 . I still think 215 is a bit thin but eh. The old ones were Yokahoma tyres. Cheers

Permabanned
OP
lol people what a reaction. I have moved to the republic of ireland, and have 25 acres of land. It is a mile to get to the road and we ar the only people within 15 miles who live there. You cannot access anywhere else so it is totally safe. It is PRIVATE property. So I dont need insurance and I dont need a license. I DO need some tyres though

Permabanned
OP
( |-| |2 ][ $ said:
I've never seen a petrol engine which revs lower than 6000? 7500 might be considered as a high reving car, are you comparing it to a diesel?

Lol you can redline it at 8000+ rpm but I figure that could damage it. So min 6000 rpm.

It only has 10k on the clock and has SMT? No need for a clutch or something. There are buttons on the steering wheel to change gear...

Great fun though,

Permabanned
OP
Bill101 said:
70MPH? on a bend? in the rain? think of the child......... oh ,wait you are one!

Lol you are telling me on a long sweeping bend you go 10+ mph.

The tyres were worn down. My dad has driven the car before. It sticks to the road like glue. It just shocked me that the tyres were Bald.

Damn Yokahoma. Anyone got any ideas, or is it a poke me thread.... :rolleyes:

Permabanned
OP
Lol you have the wrong attitude people. I am driving safely and maturly. It may not seem that way to you, but how about this.

I drive a 1.8 vvti rwd engine nicely and sedatly yes?

Then I take the Car I am insured with. A 2.0 Litre Estate still capable and fast speeds 120+ (peugeot 406). I then start showing of to my friends in an estate, and possibly run the risk of crashing.

I would rather get my andrenline rush where I am not going to kill someone, and then act mature when I am driving my own car.

Hell, I have been driving since I was 14 and my dad has instilled total road sense in me. He stops me driving if I go to fast in town 20mph+, and I have never been pulled over by the cops. I am one of 7 children, so I know life is precious.

Oh yeah and my mums dad died when she was 4 due to a car crash, so I have that one mind..

Wow. Freaky alert. Found out that TODAY is his anniversary. Spooky......

Permabanned
OP
( |-| |2 ][ $ said:
Get some continentals I’m sure a lot of people will agree you can't go wrong there.

As long as you don't go into the red and don't cruise around at high rev's you'll be fine.

first constructive comment. Thanks :D You recommend continentals. Cheers. Will have a look at the prices.

The high revs are for the acceleration.

1st gear: 36mph @ 6500+rpm
2nd Gear: 60mph @ 6000rpm
3rd Gear: 70-87mph @4000-6000rpm.
4th Gear :87mph plus
5th 110+
6th only use for cruising

Then its crusiing.....

Sensible driving is usually.

1st gear: 20mph @ 2500-3000rpm
2nd gear 35-45mph
3rd gear 45+

Lol belive me the car will never turn upside down. You have to be in one to experiance it.

Permabanned
OP
Berger. You obviously dont read. :p

Driving since 14 on the road, i think not.

What about the people you could crash into when your going backwards around a bend at 70mph, good chance of killing them.

your right. I havent been driving on the road since I was 14. You didnt consider offroad???

You didnt read the bit about it being a private road. Hell if it was a normal road, my dad would ban me from driving. Also in a car so low to the ground They would wipe ME out.....

Permabanned
OP
im a troll.. mwhahahahh lol *joke*

here are some tyres I found

Pirelli
Summer tyres P ZERO NERO
215/40 ZR16 86W XL EUR 93,40

Dunlop
Summer tyres SP SPORT 9000
215/40 R16 ZR Rim-protection EUR 107,60

Falken
Summer tyres ZE-512
215/40 ZR16 86W RF Rim-protection EUR 77,10

(take a 1/3 of and you have the price in £)

Permabanned
OP
I do ;) I was just having a laugh with a few mates.

Honestly some people.

I suppose Phil drives a nice quiet car. He changes at the lowest possible revs and putters around all day. He thinks he is driving safely but in reality is ******** everyone off

Language

Permabanned
OP
Do you think it is worth getting wider tyres for the extra grip or keep it the way they made it?

Also how many miles should I get out of them? E.g XXXX miles if you drive hard XXXXX if you drive normally @ 2mph like phil.

Permabanned
OP
at college atm. Will post pics of the car tomorrow. :p

Just wait.

:rolleyes:

Lol

The MR2 Is my mothers you are right. My crappy little peugeot however is mine. Lol just because you probably didnt have 2 shillings (im assuming you are an old fart) when you were young justnt mean that its the same in my case.

Since you will not believe me I will post some pics of the car and of its tyres. Fair enough?

:)

Permabanned
OP

Back
Top Bottom