Driving with the wrong plates penalty?

Soldato
My sister has just sold her car which had private plates on it and hasn't told the DVLA yet, however like a muppet she has already put them on the new car & has just managed to get flashed by a speed camera.

What's the likely outcome as the car now doesn't match the plates and it sounds like she has been caught?

Soldato
OP
It gets better, when I put the cars real plate in to Ask MID it comes up as uninsured.

When I put the private plate in it comes up as insured but of course it's for the wrong make & model, so it sounds like she's insured herself on the wrong car too so I have to presume she has been caught speeding whilst uninsured driving a car with false plates effectively?

Soldato
OP
Forgot about this post, the situation is a mess really.

She only physically changed the plates, it sounds like the V5 has the private plate showing which hasn't had any bearing on the new owner as they don't actually have a licence yet so the car is now sat uninsured, she has however got in touch with the person she sold it to in order to try and solve the plate issue.

She lives 100 miles away so I don't speak to her all the time, I only found out about it as my mum rank me to ask me if they had done something they shouldn't have.

Obviously my response was something like "They have done what?"

There won't be any update on this really until an NIP arrives with all the wrong info I guess.

Soldato
OP
But, it is insured isn't it? Assuming that when she got her new car she insured it based on the Private plate...and taxed?

They have called their insurer and insured the car with her private plate, effectively insuring her old car which she has sold.

Soldato
OP
What I don't get is that she sold the car with a private plate, and then somehow put the private plate on the new car. Did she buy an additional set of numberplates for the new car or did she physically remove the plates from the old car and add them to the new car?

Just physically removed them, she still had the original plates in the boot which she refitted when she sold it.

Soldato
OP
I'm not in Jail lol, completely forgot about this thread until I spotted a comment in a newer thread.

And it's not my issue, I promise, I wouldn't buy a private plate, can't see the point :)

The outcome was quite boring, no speeding fine turned up and she managed to sort out the plate with the new owner who was a learner & had the car sat unused & uninsured so ended up with it back.

Thread solved :D

Soldato
OP
Last year I attended a ‘voluntary’ interview under caution. Part of the disclosure provided to my solicitor was that they had pulled browser history from several mobile/broadband/landline accounts linked to me. As the incident had nothing to do with any form of online activity/communication, that made little sense under the circumstances, but my solicitor confirmed this was now ‘normal’ since the snoopers charter came in. I would imagine if someone is going to court and they had posted asking for advice on a forum, then it would be very easy to identify them and the posts made using a basic key word search within the date range and if for any reason what you were telling the police differed from the details you had posted, then that is unlikely to help your situation.

How do they prove you were the one using the accounts? It could have been anyone else in your house or if you had a naff password on your Wi-Fi someone else could have accessed it. Saying that, there is at least one property on my dads street that doesn't even have a Wi-Fi password on their router.

Back
Top Bottom