Driving with the wrong plates penalty?

Caporegime
You can't insure two cars using the same numberplate. The insurance computer systems won't allow it......at least, I hope they wouldn't

Why not?

There is a delay in transfer on DVLA and the insurance company works off older info.

I recently transferred a plate and I made sure the renewal date and transfer date collided so I didn't need to pay any admin fees.

The insurance company said no car is registered to that plate and I said I just transferred it 5 mins ago and I had to manually input all the details.

So it can be done.

In fact I've even heard of multiple insurance policies for the same car. As in I take out insurance for the car. Then 3 months later someone wants to use it for say a few months so they get their own insurance and borrow it off me then give it back. That way I don't need to update my insurance company twice causing fees. And I don't need to pay for it either then get the cash off them.

Soldato
Why not?

There is a delay in transfer on DVLA and the insurance company works off older info.

I recently transferred a plate and I made sure the renewal date and transfer date collided so I didn't need to pay any admin fees.

The insurance company said no car is registered to that plate and I said I just transferred it 5 mins ago and I had to manually input all the details.

So it can be done.

In fact I've even heard of multiple insurance policies for the same car. As in I take out insurance for the car. Then 3 months later someone wants to use it for say a few months so they get their own insurance and borrow it off me then give it back. That way I don't need to update my insurance company twice causing fees. And I don't need to pay for it either then get the cash off them.

Good point. The systems are incredibly slow.

Soldato
I didn't understand : although the system maybe slow to catchup, it didn't say the plate was still associated with your previous car, such that you were effectively requesting a double use of the plate ? how ?

even if the system allows it, without them demanding your assurance that you are not breaking the law,
of course if there was an anpr check the police/insurance companies would be able to check the timestamps on the transfer and new insurance/registration commencement.

edit : even if the system does allow it, and doesn't ask you to confirm you are not breaking the law,
if there was an anpr check the police/insurance companies would be able to check the timestamps on the transfer and new insurance/registration commencement.

Last edited:
Soldato
How? The plate was sold with the car. It's on the car. Where's the issue for the buyer?

I assumed that she has taken the private plate off her old car and put the original plates back on then simply put her private plate back on her new car?

Thinking about this for longer than a second, she wouldn't have had a V5 showing the old plate so maybe she did sell the old car with the private plate on so that the V5 and plate matched else the buyer probably would have raised concerns, unless the buyer is a friend?

Why not?

So it can be done.

Its been some time since I was at an ins co but this wasn't recommended practice. It can cause issues if a claim happens, (potentially 2 ins cos having to share the payout for example)its better to suspend your insurance and then reactivate later, having just one policy in force at any one time.

Agree on the plate bit though. I havent known an ins co where selecting "i cant find my plate manually enter car details" isn't an option.
The demands to enter correct info are against the insurer so they need to give you the option to get it right

Soldato
OP
Forgot about this post, the situation is a mess really.

She only physically changed the plates, it sounds like the V5 has the private plate showing which hasn't had any bearing on the new owner as they don't actually have a licence yet so the car is now sat uninsured, she has however got in touch with the person she sold it to in order to try and solve the plate issue.

She lives 100 miles away so I don't speak to her all the time, I only found out about it as my mum rank me to ask me if they had done something they shouldn't have.

Obviously my response was something like "They have done what?"

There won't be any update on this really until an NIP arrives with all the wrong info I guess.

Associate
Forgot about this post, the situation is a mess really.

She only physically changed the plates, it sounds like the V5 has the private plate showing which hasn't had any bearing on the new owner as they don't actually have a licence yet so the car is now sat uninsured, she has however got in touch with the person she sold it to in order to try and solve the plate issue.

She lives 100 miles away so I don't speak to her all the time, I only found out about it as my mum rank me to ask me if they had done something they shouldn't have.

Obviously my response was something like "They have done what?"

There won't be any update on this really until an NIP arrives with all the wrong info I guess.

But, it is insured isn't it? Assuming that when she got her new car she insured it based on the Private plate...and taxed?

Soldato
unless the new owner sorn'ed it they need to insure+tax it, so, they could already get done for that, alone, it doesn't add up,
additionally if they now have a NIP in the post,

sounds like they need to calculate the fines&penalties and decide if to come clean, if that would reduce them (are they tiered?)
the dvla will always be able to uncover the sequence of events, anyway.

Soldato
So it does sound like the sold car has the original plates back on it and the buyer wasn't concerned or hadn't spotted the details mismatch on the V5.

So in that case can't she now do the reg transfer, wait for the NIP to arrive, admit guilt and then pay/take the fine/points, notify her insurance company of the car/plate and then finally talk to the buyer re the V5 as when the reg transfer is done she'll get an updated one which she'll then need to pass onto the buyer?

Caporegime
So it does sound like the sold car has the original plates back on it and the buyer wasn't concerned or hadn't spotted the details mismatch on the V5.

So in that case can't she now do the reg transfer, wait for the NIP to arrive, admit guilt and then pay/take the fine/points, notify her insurance company of the car/plate and then finally talk to the buyer re the V5 as when the reg transfer is done she'll get an updated one which she'll then need to pass onto the buyer?

how did you figure that out?

"She only physically changed the plates, it sounds like the V5 has the private plate showing which hasn't had any bearing on the new owner as they don't actually have a licence yet so the car is now sat uninsured, she has however got in touch with the person she sold it to in order to try and solve the plate issue."

V5 of the sold car has private plate on it. so it does or doesn't have matching private plates? that hasn't been cleared up at all. if not why not? why hasn't the new owner noticed and queried why his V5 doesn't match the plates on the car, etc?

she was driving a car with no valid insurance / road tax / plates it seems as they all impact each other. this was then caught speeding but the plates won't match the car. so I don't see how they would then contact the owner of the plater other than to tell them we think someone is using the same plate as you on a different car.

his sister should get done for a multitude of things but we will wait and see. in fact i'm sure her new car can be impounded.

Soldato
My own little oops was when I was using show plates on my R34 GTT which changed the reg from R666GTT to R34 GTT and was used when I used to attend (or be invited to) big car shows in the early 00's when the F&F movies, Max Power etc was popular.

I drove from Edinburgh to Oxford with the show plates on and only realised a few days later, doh!

Back
Top Bottom