Drowning, save me

Associate
Going to be doing my first custom loop and im throwing myself in at the deep(ish) end. No matter how many guides i read i still have questions and doubts about far too many things. Hopefully some kind soul can help me or just throw their opinion in the mix.

Spec:

CASE: Lian Li PC-O11
CPU: 2700x
MOBO: Asus crosshair vii hero
GFX: 2080 ti FE
RAM: 2x8gb corsair vengeance 3200mhz (salvaged from my existing build)
PSU: EVGA Supernova G3 850w
SSD: M.2 970 evo 500gb
Fans: 9x corsair LL120 rgb

I did have an i9 9900k on preorder but as im inpatient and i dont fancy waiting until the year 2097 for intel to get stock ive decided to give amd a try for the first time, lower cost and mobo support for future cpu's swayed me.

I have decided to go with EKWB for most/all of my custom loop. The parts i have selected so far are:

Radiators: PE 360 x2
GPU block: Vector Nickel+Plexi rgb + nickel BP
CPU block: Velocity nickel+plexi rgb
Fittings: nickel ek
Tubing: Mayhems Glass
Reservoir/pump: ???
Thermal Paste: Kryonaut

The radiators will be mounted on the top and bottom of the case, 6 fans will be intakes (3 on bottom rad and 3 at the side of the case which will be behind where i plan to mount the reservoir) and 3 will exhaust on the top rad.

Worries/questions/imanoobdonthurtmeplz:

1- Can you see any improvements or issues with any of my hardware options or fan/rad/res plans above?
2 - Will the 850w psu be sufficient for the above + overclocking (nothing extreme, it will be my first time OC'ing)
3 - Can anyone give me some suggestions for tools/materials etc for cutting and sanding glass tubing and also a decent little tool set for my build for fitting the cpu/gpu block and whatever else?
4 - I can find a lot of guides on which fittings to use but i havent found one that tells me specifically the best to use for glass in particular? Also, do these 90 fittings work alone (2 lengths of glass and the 90 fitting and nothing else - if that makes sense)?
5 - Id like a glass reservoir and due to the case im using it would be beneficial for layout/aesthetics if it was a combo (i cant think of a seperate layout that would look nice and place my pump below my reservoir) but i cant seem to find any that are a decent size (and the pump doesn't look ugly) as i would like one that spans almost the height of the case?
6 - is the thermal paste ive chosen suitable for both the gpu and cpu and is there a better option?
7 - anyone with the lian li pc011 think there is room for a pump in the rear of the case? I cant find a aesthetically pleasing Res/pump combo, trying to figure out if this is possible.
8 - is there an efficient way to calculate how many of each fitting I will need so I don't over order? Am I best ordering the fittings after everything else is ordered and built?

Hopefully im in the right section for this post.

Be warned, i will most likely ask atleast another 34 questions before this build is done and getting involved at any point will enter you into a relationship similar to that of a mother and her child. Please dont abandon me, i will drown.

Last edited:
Associate
The ek velocity water block comes with a small tube of Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut in the box.
Kryonaut has better thermal properties (12,5 W/mk vs 11,8 W/mk, not a lot in it) so you may still want to buy it, but it isn't needed if you are happy to use the hydronaut.
Those velocity blocks look amazing btw. I have one in my case and it is much better than i was expecting.

I can't help with the rest, but i wish you luck and if you are able to post them I would love to see any progress pics of your build.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply man, think I'll just get the kryonaut anyway just for the sake of it. Yes I will starting posting pictures once as everything is ordered :)

Ive made some edits to my original post as I keep needing more answers as I come up with more ideas if anyone else can help me at all would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Associate
Generally you will need two fittings per part IE 2 per rad 2 per cpu block ect as in 1 inlet 1 outlet.

You will need fittings with the 90degree bends.

You might also want to plan drain and fill ports if you haven't already

Associate
OP
No nothing stupid:)
I was surprised that there was glass tubing for use in WC a pc that is all (seems a bit fragile to me)
I am not a WC user so maybe it is common

Its the least common type of tubing because its more expensive/more difficult than others but it looks the best imo.

Generally you will need two fittings per part IE 2 per rad 2 per cpu block ect as in 1 inlet 1 outlet.

You will need fittings with the 90degree bends.

You might also want to plan drain and fill ports if you haven't already

Ok thanks for clearing that up, so bends are going to be very expensive then, as i will need 3 fittings in total for them.

i have a rough plan for a drain port, theres a gap between the side fans and the bottom reservoir/fans, i will have a ball valve connected to a rotary fixing or drill a hole in the bottom of the case and have it fixed solid with a drain port on the bottom of the case if that makes sense. As for the fill port, i will just have a fill port fixing in the top of the res and i will just use one of those hosed squeezy bottles?

Similar to how this guy has his (his general layout is similar to my plans for my build, i want my pump/res layout to look a lot cleaner though) - https://youtu.be/QHBNP7FRzqk?t=483

Soldato
Glass definitely looks very nice, but it can be tricky to work with. Not that any hard tubing is easy mind you! You do need to be careful when filing it down, as those tiny glass particles are not something you want to inhale, so take precautions there. You also need to be extra vigilant with sharp edges, not only to preserve your fingers, but also o-rings, which will be sliced like a hot knife through butter with a sharp glass edge... and you won't even realise until you see a drip once your loop is full and running. That won't be fun!

Also, I'm sure you're aware, but any hard tubing requires precision in order for the end result to look right, and glass arguably more so. That's the beauty of soft tubing, you can just guestimate lengths and it'll still be fine, but the aesthetics of it hardly compare. I've always been a fan of hard tubing myself, but there's no question it takes more time, effort, money and planning. The problem is when you get lengths of hard tubing wrong, even by just a few mm, everything starts looking wonky. All that extra cost and effort ends up being for nothing... assuming you care about aesthetics, and if you're going the hard route then I'm sure you do.

For single bends though, it's easier, and you won't be heat bending glass, just measuring and using fittings for any additional turns on a single run. But again, that doesn't mean you have to be any less precise. If you don't have a measuring kit, that would probably be advisable. Using extra fittings can help of course, if you find yourself short in certain areas... but the cost quickly ramps up then, plus too many can ruin the aesthetic. Glass tubing really does demand perfection, and I admire your bravery choosing it for your first build. Good luck! :)

Associate
OP
Glass definitely looks very nice, but it can be tricky to work with. Not that any hard tubing is easy mind you! You do need to be careful when filing it down, as those tiny glass particles are not something you want to inhale, so take precautions there. You also need to be extra vigilant with sharp edges, not only to preserve your fingers, but also o-rings, which will be sliced like a hot knife through butter with a sharp glass edge... and you won't even realise until you see a drip once your loop is full and running. That won't be fun!

Also, I'm sure you're aware, but any hard tubing requires precision in order for the end result to look right, and glass arguably more so. That's the beauty of soft tubing, you can just guesstimate lengths and it'll still be fine, but the aesthetics of it hardly compare. I've always been a fan of hard tubing myself, but there's no question it takes more time, effort, money and planning. The problem is when you get lengths of hard tubing wrong, even by just a few mm, everything starts looking wonky. All that extra cost and effort ends up being for nothing... assuming you care about aesthetics, and if you're going the hard route then I'm sure you do.

For single bends though, it's easier, and you won't be heat bending glass, just measuring and using fittings for any additional turns on a single run. But again, that doesn't mean you have to be any less precise. If you don't have a measuring kit, that would probably be advisable. Using extra fittings can help of course, if you find yourself short in certain areas... but the cost quickly ramps up then, plus too many can ruin the aesthetic. Glass tubing really does demand perfection, and I admire your bravery choosing it for your first build. Good luck! :)

Thanks for your reply man, i'm definitely apprehensive about undertaking this build but i have found a good thread elsewhere (here) on how to cut glass etc, which is a really big help and hopefully with that guide ill be OK. Cost is definitely in my mind but i have a budget of £3k which i don't mind running too far over.

I have most my parts ordered (minus the fittings/tubing) which should get delivered this week. My plan is to have everything put together without any fittings or tubes in place then i can carefully plan my routes etc and order fittings/tubes accordingly - i'm sure i will have to order in a few parts as i run into unforeseen changes/problems though.

The only parts i haven't ordered yet is the pump/reservoir and fans as i just cant decide on what i want aesthetically and practically.

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone know if the following 2 items are compatible with each other?

EK-XRES 140 REVO D5 - PLEXI STANDALONE and EK-XTOP REVO D5 RGB PWM - PLEXI INCL PUMP

Im just wondering if its possible to get an ek acrylic rgb res/combo with rgb.

Also, does anyone have any experience with this pump/res combo? I cant find anywhere if theres the possibility to vertically mount this to 120mm fans

Thermaltake Pacific PR22-D5 Silent

I have the small standalone version of that thermaltake res. It’s a nice one, but has no fan mounts, at least with mine.

It just comes with a couple of decent tube mounts, but the spacing is small and nowhere near to 120mm. I’m making a custom mounting plate for mine, although bitspower do a 120mm fan mount that will barely fit the two mounts, a bit of filing is needed to make it perfect.

I think the one you’ve linked to is designed to mount at the bottom only, I don’t know if it even comes with the tube mounts my little res did.

Edit : the EK parts you’ve linked will fit together fine. Seems a bit wasteful though as the top that comes with the pump won’t be used. I suppose you could sell it on the MM, but you won’t have access for another 993 posts :D

Associate
OP
I have the small standalone version of that thermaltake res. It’s a nice one, but has no fan mounts, at least with mine.

It just comes with a couple of decent tube mounts, but the spacing is small and nowhere near to 120mm. I’m making a custom mounting plate for mine, although bitspower do a 120mm fan mount that will barely fit the two mounts, a bit of filing is needed to make it perfect.

I think the one you’ve linked to is designed to mount at the bottom only, I don’t know if it even comes with the tube mounts my little res did.

Edit : the EK parts you’ve linked will fit together fine. Seems a bit wasteful though as the top that comes with the pump won’t be used. I suppose you could sell it on the MM, but you won’t have access for another 993 posts :D

Thanks for the reply man, i decided on getting an ek pump/res combo, this one.

Ive started putting my pc together, ive had a few issues but managed to work things out so far. I just need to order the tubing and the fittings to finish my build - ill post a couple photos when im done.

Couple questions someone can hopefully answer for me:

1) i need 3x 120mm fans, they have to be black, pwm, low noise, more toward high airflow than static pressure and as i have already spent a fortune on 6x rgb fans i need these 3 fans to be fairly cheap - maybe £30-45 for the 3 fans total. I have been looking at the Bequiet Pure wings 2 and corsair's ML120's. Welcome any suggestions.

2) Does anyone have any idea what size fittings mayhems borosilicate gloss tubing are used for their 13mm tubing. The inner dimensions for the tubing isnt stated anywhere so i'm struggling?

Thanks people <3

Soldato
Inner dimensions aren't stated for hard tubing because it's not needed. The fittings don't have a part that goes inside the tube, unlike soft tube fittings.

bequiet Pure Wings are great fans!

Soldato
I use the ML120 fans, they are excellent, I have the pro led and standard versions in my new build. For just moving air, I would go for the bequiet! Ones.

As someone else said you don’t need internal dimensions for hard line.

Last edited:
Soldato
I use the ML120 fans, they are excellent, I have the pro led and standard versions in my last child. For just moving air, I would go for the bequiet! Ones.

As someone else said you don’t need internal dimensions for hard line.

Same I have the ml120’s (white led) in mine and they are excellent. Shift a fair amount of air, quiet (can be ran at very low speeds), no unusual noises and led’s are nice and bright.

You can also fit a third radiator in the rear of the case and mount the reservoir directly to the radiator itself. I have in my pc01 wgx and fits well. I have bottom intake, top exhausting, rear exhausting.

No change to dust buildup, seemed to be choking the system a bit with 6 intakes before and then all out the top radiator.

Associate
OP
UaUBRCD.jpg

So I mounted everything into my case so I could better visualize what fittings I would need and plan my loop. I planned to have the intake at the top of my reservoir - I bought a multi port cap for the top so I had more options, the in and out both being on the bottom would just be a nightmare. After mounting everything I read the manual that came with my pump/Res combo which says I have to use the designated inlet and outlet and that I can't come in the top. I've taken the thing apart and the inlet is just a hole into the reservoir, I don't see any issue coming in the top? Can anyone with any experience with this ekwb Res/pump confirm whether or not the manual is just arse covering or there's actually a reason I can't come in the top and definitely shouldn't?

Thanks <3

Edit: why the fk is the image so massive, how do i make it smaller?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom