DTG Flight School and Flight Simulator

Soldato
This is built on the FSX engine but is for business/training, but yes you can buy the academic version, I almost bought it the other day but found out you don't get a free upgrade to v4
Just to add that the licensing for P3D does not cover home entertainment use, not that it seems to be policed at all or that people seem to be bothered about breaking the End User License Agreement. I think MS must have sold LM the rights to FSX as long as they did not market it as a home entertainment product, it's the only way the licensing model makes sense.

Associate
I think P3D is based on ESP which was the commercial strain of Microsoft's platform, same underpinnings of FSX but different. You get a trial with P3D and can get a full refund, within x days, so if you're really bored you could buy V3 now, install it, then get a refund and uninstall 3 and buy V4 and install that ;)

Soldato
Yes P3D seems to inhabit a strange limbo with LM selling various levels of licence but all with the caveat you're not purchasing for entertainment. Seems they know quite nicely where most of the "student" sales go but are turning a blind eye. Of course if that changed in the future, a lot of people could get a nasty shock.

As for FSW, well I relented and purchased again. Still needs a great deal of work and, while there's already a huge fanboy circle jerk around it on some of the flight sim forums I'm not convinced. Really just FSX with a makeover and new UI, try flying over the Grand Canyon and it's the same crudely rendered and textured land class from ten years ago. Not helped by the bleached out appearance of the terrain textures.

Soldato
It's smooth as hell even running under 60fps, even at like 30fps it's smooth, my 970GTX is letting my rig down, 100% gpu usage all time and then we hit the memory limits of the card it's used all 3.5gb and the crappy 500mb :p , game also seems to still be maxxing first cpu core, but it's so smooth no judders or anything, would need someone with a beefy gpu to try it, i'm happy for only $60 tho :D

Soldato
I'm not the best person to ask as I've not fsx'ed for years, when you put all the sliders to the right, it's certainly bettter, but I only get like sub 10fps, even then though it's smooth, it doesn't jerk around, hard to describe really

Back
Top Bottom