Dual 980TI Poseidon low flow

Associate
Hoping that someone has some experience Watercooling a pair of these.

I had a D5 pump, single XSPC CPU Block, 240mm Rad and a dual bay rez. The pump had no problem with the flow, in fact running anything much over 30% seemed a torrent.

Anyway, to cut a long story short. I've added a 2nd radiator to the loop and a pair of Asus Poseidon 980ti's.

What I'm finding is that i'm needing at least 60% PWM on the pump to even start to flow and at 80% PWM I'm seeing around 1.2lpm. I fitted a flow meter to confirm the low flow.

At maximum pump speed I'm seeing 1.8lpm

It looks like the two gpus are a fair restriction on the flow.

Anyone else have experience of water cooling a pair of these, and am I right, I thinking that my loop is too restrictive.

Cheers

Mike

Man of Honour
Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

It will be the water pipes on the card causing it. The pipes are only 6mm and are even thinner than the heatpipes. As you can see in the 5th picture down in this review they are massively smaller than the G1/4" couplings and will be extremely restrictive. I really can't see the point in buying a card like this with the intention of watercooling. The much better solution would be to buy a normal card and stick a proper block on it. At least that wouldn't add any restriction to the loop.

Associate
OP
Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

It will be the water pipes on the card causing it.

I suspected that much.

However, they are bought and paid for and work very well. I'd only been concerned about running the pump near flat out and perhaps not getting the best of the rest of the system. GPU temps hold at 50-60deg under load.

I have thought about creating a parallel loop for the GPU's and a single rad, fitting a second D5 and feeding both from the single rad.

Not sure whether just fitting a second d5 in series would improve the flow. Flat out the single d5 achieves 1.8lpm.

Cheers

Mike

Man of Honour
I expect that adding a second pump will do nothing but waste more money. With the pipe being 6mm thick I reckon the internal diameter is 4mm or less. You can only force so much water through a gap that tiny. Glanza's idea isn't a bad one. At least you wouldn't be restricting the cpu then. Temps of 50-60 degrees under load is pretty poor for a watercooled card in my opinion. I have seen people on here acheive low to mid 60's on air.

Associate
I'm in the same boat and have a D5 Vario too, and its on number 4 to get the flow moving enough through the system 480 & 240, I was being lazy buying the poseidon cards as I figured its easier to sell them on once Pascal arrives, they are good cards and do a cracking job, but I do think I's have been happier buying reference and adding my own WB, then again, this worked out cheaper at the time as I got the cards at a good price and it would have cost more to do seperate.

live and learn etc.

Personally I would leave it as it is, they do a good job for what they are, but it wasn't until I was installing them did I realise how small the water flow in the card was, and as the comment made about air cooled @ 60 degrees, I can't see many SLI setups under load keeping low to mid 60's, must live in an icebox :p

EDIT : Just checked when I got the cards I paid 569.99 each, which is cheaper than ref card + block, connectors etc

Last edited:
Soldato
SLI 980Ti's hit 80c+ on air even at 100% fan speed. I left one of my old MSI 6g's at 70% and it nearly baked the top one at 91c.

50-60c for a 480mm radiator cooling 2 cards and a cpu isnt great, upping waterflow wouldnt net you 10-20c.

My system with 2 cards I rarely see over 40c at peak. Usually when gaming my cards are at about 35c. Even with custom bios and 1500mhz clock.

Thats with a single pump on setting 3.

Next time i would just get some EVGA hydro coppers or EK blocks and fit them yourself.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi, you have one 240 rad, what size is the other rad and is the system bled properly?

Plus you don't say which CPU you have and if its overclocked at what voltage.

Depending on the radiators he has it might not provide enough cooling for his set up.

Associate
OP
Hi, you have one 240 rad, what size is the other rad and is the system bled properly?

Plus you don't say which CPU you have and if its overclocked at what voltage.

Depending on the radiators he has it might not provide enough cooling for his set up.

The other is a 240mm. The system is fully bled as far as i can tell. Although it did initially take a few days to all appear in the rez. The problem being getting enough flow to dislodge air from the highest radiator.

Associate
Are your radiators horizontally or vertically mounted? If vertical remember to plumb from the bottom to the top to help with pushing out the air. When horizontal it's more difficult as you will need to wiggle. When connecting two radiators directly (which I do) exit top on first and connect to bottom on second. Then exit top on second. Presuming they are both vertically mounted. Hope that helps.

Soldato
If the blocks are very restrictive, could you run them in a parallel setup? There are unlikely to be nice purpose-built blocks to connect them with but a Y or T piece before the first card to split the flow and then the same after to recombine it would effectively half the resistance.

Associate
Dual loop if your wanting to keep your cards on water.

Put your old loop back together for your cpu and set a new loop up for those super restrictive cards :eek:

Any recommendations for a pump/res combo, or just the usual suspects, I've had my D5 Vario now for nearly 5 years, and its running full whack (5) at present because of the 2x Poseidon's, with the fan profile I have set I can definitely hear it "humming", would much prefer to back it down though, CPU is a 5820k : 4.4 @ 1.248 VC, so nothing drastic, with XSPC RX240 and 480 Rads.

Recently just built the PC again, but the color scheme is fugly so it needs a rebuild anyway lol.

MiCo9Ja.jpg

And I'm 100% open to recommendations on what to do with the Green Thing in general, but the separate loop for the GPU's seems the best idea, and also keeps another pump handy incase the other one decides to pop its clogs, case is an Enthoo Primo

Associate
What pump top are you using? The standard D5 top or a third party? Might be worth trying a EK or XSPC top as that would certainly improve flow rate a bit.

EK Pump top the one with ( 20% ) Improvement to pressure etc.

My temps are ok, The Division highest I get is 60/61 and 58 on card 2, CPU isn't hitting 50/52 and thats @ 3440x1440 everything maxxed.

I think i'll look into a small pump/res combo for the cards as the case has the room, and I need to spray that green out the case unless I can get it to blend lol

Soldato
Dual loop if your wanting to keep your cards on water.

Put your old loop back together for your cpu and set a new loop up for those super restrictive cards :eek:

Using custom loop a 980Ti Poseidon at a room ambient of 20'c playing BF4 core temps after 2hrs [email protected] 44'c>51'c GPU>48'C, loop in series.

So how are these cards super restrictive?

Couuld not answer any earlier as my l was upgrading to x99 and waiting for parts.

If his rads are the slim versions around 36mm no way will they cool 2 cards+cpu.

Associate
Are the blocks on these cards maybe just not very good? Peoples temps using them just seem poor,especialy when in the same loop their CPU temps seem pretty good.

Whats peoples water temps compared to Gpu core temps with these Poseidons?

Soldato
Are the blocks on these cards maybe just not very good? Peoples temps using them just seem poor,especialy when in the same loop their CPU temps seem pretty good.

Whats peoples water temps compared to Gpu core temps with these Poseidons?

Taking from a review MSI’s GTX 980 Ti Sea Hawk Hybrid VsEVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Hydro Copper-Note could not find a review for the 980 Ti Hydro Copper by its self.

Running Hitman:Absolutin below, Temperature over time[constant load]
MSI’s GTX 980 Ti Sea Hawk Hybrid is about 50'c no CPU in the loop.
EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hydro Copper is about 42'c cpu in loop

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-review-2.html

Looking at just these set of results my Poseidon at 48'c playing BF4 after 2hrs by the way runs 3'c cooler than my 5820K hotest core 51'c mentioned in my post above.

Comparing the results above l don't think my GPU's temperature of 48'c is that bad.

Also can pass this card on to my son who's PC is Air Cooled.

Back
Top Bottom