Dual boot W7-W10

Soldato
I have finally decided to load W10. My first thoughts were buy a new SSD and put 10 on that then replace W7 SSD with the new SSD.
During my searches I found dual boot which would suit me fine as I could then learn how 10 works or go back to W7 when wife uses the PC.
Done the bootable USB and next job was shrinking the partition to take 10 - it wouldn't do it so after another load of googling I found out SSD's cant be partitioned while live.
So now if I clone 7 to one of my other drives I can remove the 500gig SSD (400 gig free)- put it in my backup PC and format it and split it in half - replace in PC - load W7 again then load the cloned section back on then load W10 on the other half.
Is this a goer - Or could I just use something like Partition Magic to create a new partition and save all the hassle of removing HDs. I know now that data has to be moved as SSD uses the whole drive.
I can do this sort of thing but need precise details on how to.

I don't want to remove W7 first or use 7 to put 10 on - I have the keys for both.

Soldato
OP
A bit more info.

I have checked my backup PC and that will let me create a new partition. My backup PC is running W7 Ultimate and main PC is running W7 home premium - so will this make a difference as main PC says "The service cannot be started because it's disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it"

Ps
Sorted - Defrag was disabled - I had to change it to manual and lo and beholed it worked - have now shrunk the volume and next job is load W10
Got to have a large Brandy first to calm the nerves

PS
I am now in over my head - seems my system is running MBR and new partition has to be GPT - W10 will not load - I give up:o

Last edited:
Caporegime
You have two ssds? Just disconnect the win7 ssd connect empty ssd install windows 10 to that after install reconnect the other ssd with win7 on then at startup press one if the fkeys to choose which ssd you want to boot into win7 or ten

If your trying to put two os onto one single ssd partitioned in half then im not sure on that

Cant you simply create new gpt partition?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply but I did that years ago when trying Linux - was not user friendly so from what I have seen on youtube having both on same drive is best way. You get W10 page and two systems are shown - just click which one you need.
I have decided to just get another hard drive and clone w7 over to it (my other HD is too small tried it.) then put W10 on.
I need clean SSD to make them GPT - W10 won't load on MBR

Soldato
Or could I just use something like Partition Magic to create a new partition and save all the hassle of removing HDs. I know now that data has to be moved as SSD uses the whole drive.
I can do this sort of thing but need precise details on how to.

I don't want to remove W7 first or use 7 to put 10 on - I have the keys for both.

Partition Magic is ancient and long dead even Win 7 can shrink existing/create new partitions though you might need something like free Partition Wizard to move data from the occupied sectors if Windows refuses -

biggest issue with dual boot is Windows "knows" about other versions of itself on the same drive so will link them together making booting one or the other alone impossible thereafter - there ways around this with commercial boot mangers the details of which escape me at present...

Soldato
Have you considered that W7 is EoL next month? After that no security updates will be pushed, you’re really better off running something modern and supported regardless of if you or your wife don’t like change unless you have a very good reason not to.

APM

APM

Associate
Install 10 to a new ssd and just plug it in when needed,it won't be long before you bin the w7 install anyway,10 is a lot zippier in my xp.

Back
Top Bottom