Dual Boot

Associate
Quick question on dual booting. I have Windows 10 on an SSD with a separate HDD for games and programs. I want to install Ubuntu and Kali on a separate HDD. To do this, I plan on disconnecting the SSD and HDD to not mess up my Windows installation and then select the OS I want to boot into during PC start up. By selecting the Linux HDD, will I get the option for either Ubuntu or Kali through Grub?

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Yep, this is how i did it for years to allow for a 'quick and easy' removal of Linux when i got fed up with it as a desktop. Simply disconnect windows HDD, install .. Kali first, i'd say, then install Ubuntu, and you should have both by default in Grub. If not, it is fairly simple to add. Ubuntu installer is pretty clever nowadays though, so my bet is it will just pick it up for you and display as an option.

Soldato
Thanks. Just want to make sure that Grub will not see my Windows installation will it? I do not want it too.
If you have the windows drive connected when you update a kernel / grub it will probably add it automatically altho it depends on what version of linux you are using.
Most will have a os prober which will add other bootloaders it finds. (script: /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober)

/etc/grub.d/30_os-prober

This script uses os-prober to search for Linux and other operating systems and places the results in the GRUB 2 menu.
The file's sections include options for Windows, Linux, OSX, and Hurd.

You can add GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true to /etc/default/grub to disable this.

Associate
OP
If you have the windows drive connected when you update a kernel / grub it will probably add it automatically altho it depends on what version of linux you are using.
Most will have a os prober which will add other bootloaders it finds. (script: /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober)

You can add GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true to /etc/default/grub to disable this.

That'll work for what I want.

You can get a DVD-drive mounted hard drive switcher to make this easier for you.

Thanks, I'll have a look at these.

Back
Top Bottom