Dubai hotel

Associate
spot on, very artificial and fake but if Mrs wants to go Mrs has to go

I had an ex gf that used to go every year with her parents, personally i thought it looked and sounded poo tbh lol sat round all day on a beach (if its cool enough to sit on one) or round a pool all day whilst some poor person has to wait on you hand and foot. My idea of the worst holiday ever lol but each to their own i guess.

Permabanned
When i went there i stayed in a russian hotel with a pool on the roof in the marina area. You can get a taxi to the mall or beaches or waterparks quite easy and there is very nice indian restaurants in the marina mall right on the water that i recommend.

Hotel was called Marina Byblos Hotel. There is construction going on all over the place so don't think you can get away form it. It was relatively cheap hotel and average rooms nothing special. The hotel had a english style bar down stairs with darts and pool table but lots of russians about and a club which had bass music playing on weekends which you can hear from the room, if only a bit.

Associate
I would recommend going in May. By June it is full on Summer and really uncomfortable with the high temps and high humidity.

There is already plenty of good advice in this thread about hotels - my personal favourite on the beach is the Westin but sadly in Dubai it is all a bit expensive.

Soldato
Yeah does look good. That whole area in front of it (where it says Marina Beach) is a low-rise/open area of shops, cafes and restaurants that was just being finished up when we were there.

The speed they work at over there is crazy - on our first day the whole area was cordoned off and they were still building the pavement, on the last it was all open and half the places were open and serving customers (with workmen still installing lights...). I would have thought that'll all be finished when you're there.

What's the appeal of holidaying anywhere? Everywhere has something to offer someone.

Dubai has great beaches, guaranteed nice weather, friendly locals, interesting culture, amazing buildings (incl. world's tallest), great shopping, 5* dining and customer service, experience of a life of luxury, great for kids, etc.

But the laws are a massive downside no?

Permabanned
dubai is actually very westernised. You do see some arabs but in the malls and in the hotels there is mostly non arabs. Arabs don't do any work there (apart from government jobs and high paid work and similar), all the work is done by Philippines and other foreigners. IF you goto a cafe you will get served by foreigners. Most the of the restaurants don't sell alcohol, which can be annoying, if you like to have a drink on holidays with your meal. The hotels always sell alcohol but expensive even by london standards. If you go to the mall your girl has to cover up a bit which is also bit annoying as its hot but the aircon are best in the world there. My sister was showing her knees and shoulders one night when we went for food and she went to the bathroom in the mall and when she came back she said the security card told her to cover up.

Abudabi and dubai do have bottle stores but usually hidden behind wooden doors next to a tesco style shop and you get a big bag to hide the beers when you walk out. But you can get nice meat there and as my dad had a falt in abudabi we bought loads of beers and had bbq on balcony.

It gets ridiculously hot there, so hot you can't walk for longer than 1 min in the sun. When you walk in to a mall from outside you sweat big time and your glasses steam up.

Soldato
Seems like a really boring place to me with little culture or history and lots of rich people flashing their cash? Have i got the wrong end of the stick?

Just because a lot of the buildings are new doesn't meant there's little culture or history. Quite the contrary in fact and I found all of that very interesting.

What laws are you referring to?

When people think of UAE and its laws/culture they're often mistaking it for Saudi, which indeed is a completely different place.

Soldato
OP
Decided to go for the Sofitel in the end, they emailed me with this:

'Thank you for your email.

The construction outside of the hotel is nearing its completion and there is rapid progress on a daily basis. There are some shops that are already displaying their brand identification and in some parts of the structure the finishing touches are being put. We estimate that by the time you arrive the project will have already been delivered to the public. It is going to be a low height mall of luxury goods retail stores, entertainment and food and beverage outlets.

Should you require further assistance or clarification, please feel free to contact us.
'

Fingers crossed the construction will have ended by May :)

Associate
Quite possibly if your into having sex in public places and being drunk in public but if that's not your type of thing you'll be fine.

I'm off to Dubai in the summer. I can't wait the only downside is my friends will be fasting as I think its Ramadan when we go.

Associate
There's loads of lovely 5 star hotels on the Jumeirah Beach but I'm not sure if £700 will cut it. Is the construction a real problem? I've stayed in a few of the hotels and there was always mention of 'heavy construction' in the area but it never really was a problem. Maybe out of the beach area it would be I don't know.

Some of the hotels I would highly recommend.

Jumeirah Beach Hotel
Al Qasr
Dar Al Masyaf
Mina A' Salam

Look for deals during June - you can sometimes get half-board thrown in. Although you get the best deals during August and September (Ramadan) where they throw everything at you. I've been twice during Ramadan and it was never an issue and exceptional value.
Stayed in Dar Al Masyaf three weeks ago. Very nice property, but it was actually close to GBP 500 per night! (I stayed on points so thankfully I was spared the bill)

I'm sure it's considerably cheaper during the off-peak (i.e. Jun-Sep) but I would be amazed if it's anywhere near GBP 700 for 6 nights...

Soldato
OP
OK so I misspelled my wife's name, missed out one letter. On the lead contact on travel republics website her names correct but in the flight details its wrong.

Spoke to Travel Republic who said they cant do anything on the weekend since the Travel Trade Team is closed. Spoke to Emirates who said they cant do anything since I booked with Travel Republic and it's their responsibility :confused:

I have to wait until Monday to find out what will happen. Anyone been in a similar situation? I'm hoping they can simply make a note on the computer system, but then Immigration could be anal and not let her in!

Last edited:
Soldato
OK so I misspelled my wife's name, missed out one letter. On the lead contact on travel republics website her names correct but in the flight details its wrong.

Spoke to Travel Republic who said they cant do anything on the weekend since the Travel Trade Team is closed. Spoke to Emirates who said they cant do anything since I booked with Travel Republic and it's their responsibility :confused:

I have to wait until Monday to find out what will happen. Anyone been in a similar situation? I'm hoping they can simply make a note on the computer system, but then Immigration could be anal and not let her in!

Should be fine. Normally only an issue if you booked completely the wrong name and want a name change where they charge you a fee.

I even booked flight for the wrong day once quite some time ago and managed to get back without paying anything :p

Soldato
Just got back from a weeks holiday over there. Had an epic time!

We stayed in Grosvenor House by the Marina and managed to get a free upgrade to a 1400sq ft suite. :D

Make sure you book a desert tour! We were picked up from the hotel at 7am and spent the whole morning riding camels, dune bashing in an open top, immaculate, 1950's land rover checking out the wildlife and generally having a ton of fun!

The old town by the creek is great for a bit of culture, checking out the gold and spice souks and taking the river boats (Abras) for 1 Dirham per person which is about 18 pence!

They've also got the worlds biggest indoor ski slope which is a great laugh as well with real penguins!

If you want to take the Mrs for a nice meal and drinks, head to http://www.siddhartalounge.com/gallery - It's about £100 for two but massively worth it, we ended up going three nights in a row as it was a few floors up from our suite. :D

Dubai itself is very relaxed and you can wear pretty much anything you want as long as you're covered up in the old areas you'll have no issues at all. My mrs was in heels and a short skirt around the Marina where we were staying and plenty of other women were wearing backless dresses etc.

Ask concierge when you get to the hotel for recommendations and you won't be disappointed.

In terms of spending money, I spent just over £1k in a week and that covered dinners, drinks, entertainment, travel and we weren't holding back on our choice of restaurants or bars either. It's not that expensive.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Should be fine. Normally only an issue if you booked completely the wrong name and want a name change where they charge you a fee.

I even booked flight for the wrong day once quite some time ago and managed to get back without paying anything :p

I hope so, it's annoying no one can give me a straight answer, Emirates say go to travel Republic and they said we can't give you an answer until they open on Monday. Even asked from past experience what happens in a case like this and they still wouldn't answer, suppose they have to cover their own backs.

Man of Honour
Oh and make sure you head to aquaventure at the atlantis: http://www.atlantisthepalm.com/marineandwaterpark/aquaventure.aspx I haven't laughed and had so much fun in a single day since I was a kid! They have a massive shark tank that you go through on a couple of the rides and another that drops the floor from underneath you.

Random youtube video of the hilariously scary floor dropper!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWYU5-QjpoQ

I am staying at Atlantis later in the month, surprising the kids.

Back
Top Bottom