Ducky keyboards

Soldato
Ordered a Ducky One 3 what feels like ages ago but was only 20th August. Not in a mad rush, but went to check the site again and only noticed that the ETA was 8th July.

Have an older Corsair K70 and Cooler Master both with MX Browns and wanted to go with a Ducky for my new rig. I'll still use the Cooler Master / Corsair with my work setup.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey, also looking at potentially buying a Ducky, are there any negative points? Everyone I see is very positive which is great, are there any negatives or downsides?
I have a Ducky Zero (DK2108SZ), cherry blue switches and blue backlighting and while I absolutely love the keyboard, the LEDs started failing after about 2 years. I haven't used the keyboard in a while but last time I did, I think it was up to 6 or 7 of the LEDs had failed. This obviously doesn't affect the function of the keyboard but does spoil the experience of owning a 'nice' keyboard. One or two failed LEDs I can understand, but for them to continue failing is pretty poor.

It's not as though the LEDs were overdriven either as the keyboard spent almost all of its life with the LEDs either only lit on key strokes, or running at a low brightness level.

It wouldn't stop me buying another as I love the simplistic functional design, but just something to keep in mind when researching. Hopefully the QC has improved!

Soldato
I had a Ducky Shine 3 since release that is still going strong 10 years on. All the leds are even still working and I have flooded it with coffee a couple of times. As such I think I'll always stick with Ducky and have just got a 65% One 3. Over the moon with it so far. I hardly used any of the extra keys on the full size, so the extra desk space is a great trade. The keys are hot swappable, so I might give some linear switches a try at some point. The only downside is that it might be hard to get a replacement keycap set in future as I believe some of the keys aren't standard, but these PBT caps feel great and should last a long time.

Associate
im still running with a Qpad MK50, which was a steal many years ago at £50 but its beginning to show its age. so looking to replace and these Duckys look very very nice
That's my Keyboard too! not sure what coloured swiches it has though. It's getting really grotty, I think wiping it down with a damp cloth just made it worse, the surround has a horrid residue all over it which you can scrape off using your nail :( Time for a Ducky 3 full size I think..once I've worked out which switches I need.

Associate
That's my Keyboard too! not sure what coloured swiches it has though. It's getting really grotty, I think wiping it down with a damp cloth just made it worse, the surround has a horrid residue all over it which you can scrape off using your nail :( Time for a Ducky 3 full size I think..once I've worked out which switches I need.
Mine originally had Cherry reds, The Ducky I now have has Cherry red silents, these are very nice, similar actuation, but quieter, I would suggest a wrist rest to go with it. Otherwise I am very happy with my choice, this is a lovelly keyboard!

Associate
Ducky I bought on a OC sale has no volume control, you need a weird key combo to change the volume in windows. This really annoys me, a keyboard in 2023 without a volume button is a big thumbs down for me. Doh

Associate
Bought a second hand Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX for £20.

It didn't come with a cable - am I right in thinking any old USB to USB C cable will do the job?

Soldato
Ducky I bought on a OC sale has no volume control, you need a weird key combo to change the volume in windows. This really annoys me, a keyboard in 2023 without a volume button is a big thumbs down for me. Doh

Yea but all the cool kids run their sound through a DAC which typically have a big round knob you can twist away at your leisure.

Soldato
I have a Ducky 3 SF Daybreak which i've used on and off on my linux stuff but i've changed a lot with it, new switches, new caps and painted/modded the case with foam so it sounds a lot better. Can recommend them as they're not too bad in stock form.

Soldato
I take back what i previously said :(. My new ducky one 3 sf is double typing certain keys after a couple of months of owning it. I googled it and it seems to be a common issue which some solved by changing out the switches, but I bought some glorious Panda switches and swapped them out today and I'm still getting double typing on a few keys. Shame as my old keyboard lasted me years and this is already failing.

Associate
I take back what i previously said :(. My new ducky one 3 sf is double typing certain keys after a couple of months of owning it. I googled it and it seems to be a common issue which some solved by changing out the switches, but I bought some glorious Panda switches and swapped them out today and I'm still getting double typing on a few keys. Shame as my old keyboard lasted me years and this is already failing.
That’s unfortunate, surely it’s under warranty?

Soldato
I had the cooler master SK620 that started doing this after 7 months.

Done an RMA, waited the 30 days and then got a refund as it was EOL - £4 due the 7 months of use I got out of it.

I have now got the Logitech G915 TKL lightspeed and quite enjoying this.

The cooler Master was my first mechanical keyboard (60%) and 1 thing I did not like was the short shift key on the right had site and I didn't think of it until I had it so kinda glad it died as then gave me a starting point of what they are like to use etc

no where has keyboards like this on display where you can test\try them out before you buy them.

Soldato
That’s unfortunate, surely it’s under warranty?
It should be, but I'm just thinking it'll be a similar story with the new one as from what people say on reddit, its an issue with the pcb. Worth a try though, ill have to contact ocuk.

I had the cooler master SK620 that started doing this after 7 months.

Done an RMA, waited the 30 days and then got a refund as it was EOL - £4 due the 7 months of use I got out of it.

Thats so rubbish. With the price of these boards, they should be lasting years. Also agree its hard to know what board to go for. I went with the ducky shine 3 as my first board as ducky were all the rage on here at the time. Its been an amazing board and served me well for 10 years. I went with brown switches as they were a good middle ground at the time. I'm tempted to de-solder the switches and replace them with brand new brown switches, with some slightly stiffer springs for typing and just keep this small ducky for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom