Dune (2020) - Denis Villeneuve

Soldato
Currently reading the book for the first time ever (about 3/4s through). Very excited by this. Blade Runner 2049 was a work of genius and I don't think DV has made a bad film...

Soldato
OP
Just stilgar, I find Havier a mess at best.
The bond rubbish, the counsellor, all that dross he's done. prefer someone else, frankly the guy from the miniseries was a good stilgar.

I can see where you're coming from actually, i'm imagining an overtly in your face camp Stilgar now.

Who played him in the mini series? I seem to remember it was Dalton era Felix Leiter in the Lynch movie.

Soldato
Bardam could work.

Couldn't keep watching the miniseries, the cardboard sets were far too obvious, looked like a school play at times.

Can't wait to see a modern Dune with a decent budget...although Lynch's was pretty good for the era on the VFX front.

I hope they can retain some of the Giger darkness...although Villeneuve is probably going to go with his trademark mono-colour saturation, which I quite like as well.

Soldato
OP
A few years ago i'd have been all over this but right now with his saturated exposure, not so sure. Still a cracking actor with the right roles.

Josh Brolin is reportedly in talks to play Gurney Halleck, the warmaster for the Atreides family and a mentor-like character for the young lead Paul Atreides (Timothee Chalamet) in Denis Villeneuve’s “Dune” adaptation at Legendary Pictures.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/josh-brolin-is-gurney-in-dune/

Soldato
OP
He was in 1x movie in 2016, 1x in 2017 and 4x in 2018

Not exactly saturated is it?

Strangely it feels like he's been in a lot more recently. I guess as he was in two big ticket movies last year it skews perspective a little. Plus I watched Sicario 1 & 2 a few times in the last 12 months as well.

Soldato
Not so keen on Jason Momoa signing up to play Duncan Idaho. Some sites are reporting it as a done deal, others suggesting it's still at the negotiation stage.

Not really seen Momoa in enough really to judge whether he would be a bad choice for this film in any role.

Can he act at all?

What I have seen him in, I'm not entirely convinced he can. :p

Soldato
Never saw Gurney as a big muscly dude. And a fair bit older looking than Momoa.

I hated the Lynch movie for the mess they made of the "magic". The SFTV series was good and had the benefit of being able to take its time. I have never seen how Dune can be a 2-3 hour movie. It's too complex.

GoT has spawned a mass of new fantasy-type TV and film. I'm betting 90% of it will be crap.

Soldato
I
Never saw Gurney as a big muscly dude. And a fair bit older looking than Momoa.

I hated the Lynch movie for the mess they made of the "magic". The SFTV series was good and had the benefit of being able to take its time. I have never seen how Dune can be a 2-3 hour movie. It's too complex.

I always saw Gurney as a stocky solid batter the walls down chap. Whereas i saw Idaho as a sleeker faster but very strong character.
It was said by Idaho that Hallek could beat him in a knife fight 6 times out of 10.
I think they both were at the top of their warrior nature, swordmaster and warmaster.
Shield fighting with knives.

It should prove very interesting, and I hope they imagine things somewhat better than superspeed camera for 'the weirding way'

-edit I like the look of all the case bar Bardem who i don't rate at all, but perhaps in this case he can make a good Stilgar. I actually quite liked the Stilgar from the miniseries, and hope Bardem channel that role to stop himself being utter *****.

Back
Top Bottom