Dunkirk (Summer 2017) directed by Christopher Nolan

Associate
Looking on booking Gallery IMAX at the Odeon to see this, hopefully it lives upto its hype. Could it grab a spot and be up there with some of the best war films like Saving Private Ryan?

A bit off topic but, I still haven't got around to watching Interstellar, something keeps putting me off from watching it and I'm not sure what. Is it worth a go?

Permabanned
Big night tonight ladies!

Booked tickets for a LieMax screening at my local Empire yesterday for me and the lady friend, twas difficult to find to seats together! Seriously packed out screening.

Watched Interstellar again in preparation. Still love it, despite it's numerous floors.

Hype hype hype!

Associate
Looking on booking Gallery IMAX at the Odeon to see this, hopefully it lives upto its hype. Could it grab a spot and be up there with some of the best war films like Saving Private Ryan?

A bit off topic but, I still haven't got around to watching Interstellar, something keeps putting me off from watching it and I'm not sure what. Is it worth a go?

Watch it. It's a flawed gem. End lets it down imo but it's genuinely great at times.

Associate
Might have to pick it up on Blu-Ray and give it a watch then.

Where would you rank it amongst Nolan's films?

It's not top tier but still excellent. Top tier for me is The Prestige, Inception, Batman Begins + Dark Knight (1st one)

It's probably just below those, better than Dark Knight Rises.

Soldato
I have literally just come back from watching this.

Standard 2d (IMAX is not readily available in India)

Its absolutely brilliant, and despite the usual criticisms of Nolan not managing to portray emotion of empathy I felt in awe and welled up with the scale of it all and what was happening.

Its not my favourite movie of his....Inception still holds that one.....but its a close second for sure.

Soldato
I'm glad there's other mad people out there :p

Got tickets for the Imax in Manchester to see it in 70mm, 136 miles each way..... >.<

Got my bus tickets booked as well -leaving for London at 9am and getting home around midnight. :eek: I could have left later and got home earlier but I want a few hours either side to mooch about, get some fresh air and something quality to eat. :D

Soldato
I enjoyed this....but...and I hate to say it but I actually more enjoyed Inception and Interstellar over this. Dunkirk is a great film but I am just not sure it gripped me as much as I wanted it to.

Soldato
Not the best ww2 film ive seen. There are other docu-dramas out there that are better I remember BBC did a series on the 50th or the 60th anniversary that was better than this.

Associate
I saw this at the Science Museum in Imax 70mm this afternoon.

Apart from being a very powerful film, the vast majority of the footage is full fat 1.43:1 Imax.

I would thoroughly recommend making the effort to experience it as intended.

Associate
For someone who doesn't fully understand the differences between all the different types of film, what are the main differences of say seeing this in a standard 2D screen at an Odean/Showcase cinema (my closest cinemas) rather than say at an Imax screen in central London etc?

Soldato
Full 15/70mm IMAX film is equivalent to 18K. You'll only see that at 3 cinemas in the country: BFI IMAX (London), Vue Printworks (Manchester), Science Museum (London)

The next best is laser IMAX which is 4K (only 2 of these: Cineworld Leicester Square London, Cineworld Sheffield)

Any other local IMAX screens will be 2K.

DE3tpfBXsAAhOhp.jpg:large

I've got a ticket for the BFI which I think is a bargain at £17.50. I'm conveniently ignoring the 15 quid bus tickets and 6 hours it will take me to get there and back. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom