Dust/debris in lens?

Soldato
Was hoping for some advice as I haven't had this before. Purchased a second hand Fuji Fujinon XF 14mm f/2.8 from a photography shop. The lens is awesome and I've been impressed but today has been the first day in a while I've had a chance to use it properly outside. These marks are highly visible but only in certain photos with clear backgrounds.

What are they... debris?
Can I remove them or should I return the lens as faulty?

Would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks,
Tom

Soldato
OP
They are very easy to take out in Lightroom but it's an expensive lens and not something I am willing to live with given the price.

Soldato
Yep, as the others have posted - that is dust on your camera sensor not the lens :)
Usually you don't see it in images, except at high aperture numbers and you took that at F20 so it's showing up.

Soldato
Yep, as the others have posted - that is dust on your camera sensor not the lens :)
Usually you don't see it in images, except at high aperture numbers and you took that at F20 so it's showing up.

After reading this thread, I checked mine and saw quite a few specs as I looked through the viewfinder with no lens attached. Seems my sensor has dust. I've blown on it but makes no difference. If I buy a blower bulb will it work? I tested the sky at F22 and yes, about 8 to 10 spots show up in the images.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys and you're right. I very rarely shoot around F20 hence why I didn't notice it before.

Have the same question as Merlin - I've tried blowing on it but it hasn't sorted the main spec. Guess can try a blower bulb?

Soldato
Thanks guys and you're right. I very rarely shoot around F20 hence why I didn't notice it before.

Have the same question as Merlin - I've tried blowing on it but it hasn't sorted the main spec. Guess can try a blower bulb?

Maybe this one is worth us getting?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-5610-...ords=camera+blower+bulb&qid=1593444645&sr=8-5

Good reviews and same price on ebay without needing to spend £20 for free shipping.
Don't know if it's better buying a bulb that has a brush attached though?

Caporegime
After reading this thread, I checked mine and saw quite a few specs as I looked through the viewfinder with no lens attached. Seems my sensor has dust. I've blown on it but makes no difference. If I buy a blower bulb will it work? I tested the sky at F22 and yes, about 8 to 10 spots show up in the images.

Don't blow on it with your mouth, you can easily spit on it!

A wet swab kit is relatively cheap and easy to use, a blower works sometimes, it can easily add more dust.

Caporegime
So I shouldn't get a blower then? Can you recommend a wet swab kit?

You should and they are the 1st go to for lens cleaning but they are not 100% and it's more like 2/3 getting rid of dust and 1/3rd introducing more dust. You can minimise it by puffing it a few times to clear the chamber but you are always going to blow the sensor with dust in the room.

I used to use Pec Pads with Eclipse fluid but since I got this I found them much easier to use. You can 12, and I only clean my sensors once a year so that will last me a long time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07K1GDRTQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

The one with 20 Swabs for £25.99

Soldato
Ok, apparently there's a 10 pack so I'll see if I can find that. I need to buy fluid, so, am I looking for a bottle of Eclipse?
Apparently I'm not cleaning the sensor but actually the glass protecting the sensor. Is it pretty much guaranteed that any dust is only on the glass and not under it touching the sensor?
Can the swabs and fluid be used on the mirror?

Caporegime
Ok, apparently there's a 10 pack so I'll see if I can find that. I need to buy fluid, so, am I looking for a bottle of Eclipse?
Apparently I'm not cleaning the sensor but actually the glass protecting the sensor. Is it pretty much guaranteed that any dust is only on the glass and not under it touching the sensor?
Can the swabs and fluid be used on the mirror?
The vacuum swabs should have fluid pre-applied.

You will need only a drop, you drop it not at the edge but to the side of the biggest area and allow the capillary reaction to pull the liquid over the edge thus you only use what it needs.

You then swipe one across one side at like a slight angle, flip and go back the other way with the other side. Then you throw it away. If you need to do it again, you need a new swab. Dragging dust on the swab again over the sensor will risk scratching it. The fluid is self drying so it will evaporate on its own leaving no trace (if you don't over use it.

And yes, its a piece of glass, or at least, a Moire filter. I have never seen dust trap between it, ever. Don't worry about that. Be careful not to touch anything to the side as you stick it in, the innards has your typical mechanical lubricants like for the sensor/mirror flip up so you don't want to drag that down.

This is cheaper.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M65X...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Soldato
The vacuum swabs should have fluid pre-applied.

You will need only a drop, you drop it not at the edge but to the side of the biggest area and allow the capillary reaction to pull the liquid over the edge thus you only use what it needs.

You then swipe one across one side at like a slight angle, flip and go back the other way with the other side. Then you throw it away. If you need to do it again, you need a new swab. Dragging dust on the swab again over the sensor will risk scratching it. The fluid is self drying so it will evaporate on its own leaving no trace (if you don't over use it.

And yes, its a piece of glass, or at least, a Moire filter. I have never seen dust trap between it, ever. Don't worry about that. Be careful not to touch anything to the side as you stick it in, the innards has your typical mechanical lubricants like for the sensor/mirror flip up so you don't want to drag that down.

This is cheaper.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M65X...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Thanks, I'll buy that and the Hama blower bulb. But yeah, it seems neither of the products you linked have pre-applied fluid, they're apparently dry. So I'll need some cleaning fluid. Eclipse is £19, there are others for about half that price, will they be ok?

The instructions say

2.Use professional air blower to blast the dirt out of the sensor.
3.Use Full frame sensor cleaning swab and Spray some Cleaning Liquid on the head of the swab.
4.Gently drag the swab from the left of sensor to right. Turn the swap around and drag the clean side from right of sensor to the left.
Tips:
Make sure your camera's battery is fully charged before your sensor cleaning process to avoid low power reflector turn back to cause damage.
One swipe in each direction.

Looks like the camera has to be on?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom