DVB-T2 PC TV Tuners?

Associate
Im looking to buy a tv tuner for christmas but have been reading about Freeview HD that is being switched on in my area next week so thought id hold off to buy a DVB-T2 card so that i can get BBC and ITV HD to watch the world cup on.

I cant find any DVB-T2 pci cards currently, does anyone know when these are expected to hit the shops?

Associate
I'd expect them to show up Q1 2010, along with STBs and whatnot, in time for the summer footie season.

The reason you can't find them just now is because DVB-T2 is brand new tech - the UK is the first country I know of that is using DVB-T2 - other parts of Europe are set to follow us though, so the market should expand quickly.

Don't expect decent, mature hardware till the end of next year though.

Soldato
Sorry for the thread resurrection but is there any more news on such tuners? I heard Birmingham was due to receive Freeview HD from around March (which I presume means this is when the Sutton Coldfield transmitter will be upgraded).

Already have BBC HD via DVB-S into my HTPC but Freeview HD would still be nice to have.

Associate
Sorry to re-open this thread again but does anyone know any DVB-T2 HD Capable TV cards that are available yet?

I need a new TV card and don't see the point in getting one that isn't capable of HD when the service is so close to being launched nationwide

Associate
That sucks! Are there no other Manufacturers due to release their own versions before then?? It seems there is quite a gap in the market there as lots of people are after one!

Associate
I had a Compro Videomate E800 in the last PC; during the time I had it, I only ever saw true HD TV broadcast ONCE. Time Team was broadcast in full 1080, (i/p?), HD on the DVB-T tuner. It was EXCELLENT quality! Bring on the DVB-T2 tuner cards! I think if I buy one though I'd like to hope that BlackGold produce the best ones. :) We'll see eh? Fingers crossed. :)

Soldato
I imagine they'll be doing all they can to get them out for the World Cup. If they're not out in time, I will have to buy a STB instead. Bit less convenient but I'm not missing the WC in HD for it.

Associate
AFAIK the current gen cards can be software upgraded to T2 as it is only the av coding method that changes. The actual tuners can still recieve the stream and the PC decodes it.

Soldato
AFAIK the current gen cards can be software upgraded to T2 as it is only the av coding method that changes. The actual tuners can still recieve the stream and the PC decodes it.

I know it sounds like it should be that way but from what I have read we will definately need new hardware for T2 :(

Soldato
Your card will be DVB-T HD compatible not DVB-T2. I imagine that our current cards will ignore the T2 signals in the same fashion as they do with analogue signals.

Sucks especially since my local transmitter started HD broadcasting about a week ago :(

Associate
I would love one of these. Bloody annoying that freeview built in tvs are not upgradable as well. They have us on a pretty strict upgrade regime at the moment:

flat screen
digital
HD
HD with freeview built in
HD with freeviewHD built in
3D TV

Good job I skipped straight from CRT to hd with freeview. Wish I could get HDTV though. Guess I may have to buy a box...

Soldato
I would love one of these. Bloody annoying that freeview built in tvs are not upgradable as well. They have us on a pretty strict upgrade regime at the moment:

flat screen
digital
HD
HD with freeview built in
HD with freeviewHD built in
3D TV

Good job I skipped straight from CRT to hd with freeview. Wish I could get HDTV though. Guess I may have to buy a box...

Agree about the constant upgrading mate- can be a pain in the wallet. I think it is best to try and sit out a couple of cycles if you can - I for one won't be jumping on the 3dtv bandwagon.

Back
Top Bottom