Dying Light 2 - December 7th

Soldato
Bit like most where you can team up if you want but like you I prefer solo.

I'm more driving at is it detrimental to the experience? Like some games can be played solo but clearly weren't designed for it like back for blood or whatever it was called with the crappy ai bots.

Soldato
I played the original solo but I did have a bit of a blast at coop with a friend. To be honest I thought playing solo was the most atmospheric. Being just you against the hoardes particularly at night was incredibly tense.

Associate
No dynamic res 4K/60FPS in this game. Performance mode drops it to....1080p/60. Engine doesn't appear to support dynamic resolution.

I'll be skipping this then as there's no way I'm playing games on a PS5 on a 4K TV at 1080p, it's a joke. Icing on the cake is Quality mode runs 1080p/30fps...that pesky ray tracing you see.

Soldato
Mine shipped today. It was funny tho seeing the devs saying not to play until release so they can get the day1 patch sorted lol.

It’s pretty disappointing that there are no proper firearms in the game. Their explanation didn’t really make sense either as firearms from hundreds of years ago are still around now so considering it’s supposed to be about 20 years in the future it’s an odd choice in my opinion. Hopefully they will add some later in expansion/dlc so that it doesn’t alter the core of the game but for people who have completed and want a little shooty fun.
Is there a bow / crossbow?

Soldato
Resolution doesn't bother me one bit as long as the game is good. Basing a game on the resolution seems a bit odd to me :confused:

it's basically deciding not to play a game based on its graphics, resolution is a factor in the overall graphics of the game

happens all the time, just last week there was a chorus of people saying they won't play the new Pokémon game because it has Nintendo 64 graphics

Soldato
Maybe thats why the devs asked for it not to be played before the release date so they could get the Day1 patch sorted which will hopefully address these issues.

Soldato
Going to wait for player reviews of this one - I loved the first, it had such a great atmosphere with all the undead shambling around, and the big buggers that came out at night time; such was the way that it pulled me in, I never used to go out at night – if I got caught out of base when it was dark, I’d find a building/loft to hide in until daylight lol.

This second outing has been a long time coming, I seem to recall it being mentioned as a PS4 title (might be wrong), but it never arrived. And the clips I have seen from some early play throughs, it just looks like it has lost a decent chunk of what made it so good – the focus now seems to be on factions, and humans. Maybe it should be called Living Light this time :D

Happy to be proved wrong, as it will certainly be a purchase if it’s more of the same – once the price comes down to an acceptable £40 mind.

Caporegime
1080/60 ... wtf :/

Still looking forward to it and won't be cancelling my preorder but that's pretty disappointing. Ill shoot for Resolution mode first but likely end up with performance as smooth > graphics for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been watching theRadBrad play through a few episodes. And it does look fun. Which I guess is the main thing. He is playing pc version.

Associate
What’s the issue with 1080p/60 on a 4K TV that upscales? I play at that resolution on PC on my TV and all looks fine on a 43inch tv at the distance I sit, is there something I’m missing here?

Just wondering whether I should go with the convenience of the series x / PS5, or get it on pc.

Associate
What’s the issue with 1080p/60 on a 4K TV that upscales? I play at that resolution on PC on my TV and all looks fine on a 43inch tv at the distance I sit, is there something I’m missing here?

Just wondering whether I should go with the convenience of the series x / PS5, or get it on pc.

It might look fine to you but upscaled 4k is not native 4k. 4k/60 RTX off and 4k/30 RTX on should be the norm this gen.

Associate
it's basically deciding not to play a game based on its graphics, resolution is a factor in the overall graphics of the game

happens all the time, just last week there was a chorus of people saying they won't play the new Pokémon game because it has Nintendo 64 graphics

It's about what these units are sold for, advertised as, which was 4K60 HDR (120fps plastered on PS5 box...), super fast disk management/SSD's and some race tracing. Generally speaking we've gotten some of that; fast load times, no HDR on some games or RT and these damn Performance, Quality & other choices throughout. I'm not keen on how they've been rolled out on all AAA games, it's now the norm. Feels like a lazy way for companies to cop out on optimization for what the consoles are capable of. This gen should never be 1080p to get 60fps, sorry but that just smacks of bad management from the devs and poor choices on engine design.

Did I expect 4K60 with ray tracing? No, I called bs on that from the start when high end PC's struggled but I certainly expected all major titles to support dynamic resolution so we didn't have to suffer with 30fps whilst running 4K.

Back
Top Bottom