DynoJet Testing

Associate
Ok, I just got back from a DynoJet testing session at CMC Chesterfield.

4659726395_590346129a_b.jpg

Despite what my original dealer said about the 2009 ER-6f not needing a remap, it looks like I am running lean at the lower end since installing the Scorpion exhaust.

The bike is still restricted at the moment so they don't think I'll see the full benefit of a Power Commander currently.

They don't think any damage is being done to the bike atm, it's just throttling on isn't as smooth as it could be :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
Just got off the phone with the original dealer.

They're still adamant that nothing needs to be changed at all.

I dunno. Guess I'll just wait and see what they have to say on the next service.

Associate
Lean running will be because of the pipe, not the restriction kit. I assume the dealer is talking about that?

The only way to cure this is to get a power commander and have it setup to suit the pipe, but you'l then need to have it re-done when you de-restrict it. Seems a waste to do it while restricted.

Associate
OP
Lean running will be because of the pipe, not the restriction kit. I assume the dealer is talking about that?

The dealer says that they've fitted many Scorpion exhausts to ER-6f's without any problems. They said I definately won't require a Power Commander. But that doesn't seem to be what the test results showed today... The dealer said if there was a problem it would be with the pipe. I really dunno...

The guy that ran the test at CMC said if he was to install a Power Commander he would remove the restriction first, map it, then replace the restriction again.

I asked if it would do any damage if I left it for now and he said no. So I'll leave it for the time being, until I get the restriction removed.

I'm currently undecided on whether or not to take my test again this summer. If I don't I'll have to wait until November 2011 before I can remove the restriction.

Soldato
My brothers ER-6F has got the scorpion pipe on it, and I can say it definatelly needs a remap on his, the power delivery is noticable when you take the baffle out nevermind changing from a standard to free flowing can.

But as the Dyno guy said the amount of power its kicking out restriced I probably would not worry about it while its restricted, as soon as its unrestricted I would prob got for a ECU tune or PC setup.

Associate
OP
I know it's a different pannier kit etc. for the 2009 model over the 2008.

I'm wondering now if the exhaust fitting has a different effect from the 2008 to the 2009 also.
Which might explain why the dealer is still adamant that no remapping is required, maybe they've only done the 2008's and earlier before.

I dunno. They'll get chance to look at it themselves soon anyway since I'm due for a 6 month checkup.

But like you say, not worth me putting anything into action yet, at least not until I get the restriction removed.

Associate
A slight lean running isn't going to hurt the bike, hence why the dealer said it isn't a problem.

I'd be interested in the dyno man mapping it unrestricted then "putting the restriction back in" ;)
;)
:D

Man of Honour
im no expect with fueling but I thought a richer engine provied less power but better cooling....

manu's set bikes rich to be on the safe side.... when tuning they lean it up to extract max power and try to get that air / fuel mix graph dead straight

I could be talking crap though lol

here is mine for comparison, bet you cant wait to deresrict it!, that dip in air/fuel was caused by decat mid pipe, so it needed fixing

mapped.jpg

Associate
im no expect with fueling but I thought a richer engine provied less power but better cooling....

Depends on the engine, my air cooled duke needs TONS of fuel to make power. Runs so rich you can smell it and flames spit out the exhausts! :D

Then again that might be due to the cooling properties helping with cylinder overheating? I know that at the end of a race I'm down about 5bhp on where I started. :(

Back
Top Bottom