Dyslexia = middle class word for Stupid?

Associate
Dyslexia in its current form is merely euphimism for "low achievers" or whatever the politically correct term is nowadays. Yes, there is a condition where you have great difficult distinguishing characters - and there is one where you just dont know what it looks like. The former is true dyslexia - but nowhere near as many people are affected as current statistics might suggest.

In a system with tests which score you, someone has to be on top and someone has to be on the bottom. Obviously all parents want to believe that their child is the next person to have an IQ of 220.

As it is, the system is being constantly modified to reduce this competition for fear "damaging" the "fragile" mind of children who come near the bottom of the pile. If this continues children are likely to leave school completely unprepared for the real world.

Soldato
phil14 said:
I am 15, I have deslexia. Not badly just a tiny bit, I do quite well at school and aiming for 8-11 C grade GCSES.. I know i will find it harder than most people, Its mostly my spelling that makes it hard for me. Lots off people do use it as an excuse..
It seems to me that those who are dyslexic such as ^^ often make more of an effort with spelling etc and end up getting it right but just taking longer (i.e the above post appears pretty much spot on) whereas those who just can't be bothered leave their mistakes in and simply palm it off as 'dyslexia'.

Soldato
i got

gcse english lit D

gcse english lang C

gcse science BB

gcse Art A

gcse maths C

geog,french,hist,design all D

Am I dyslexic?

Associate
Majago said:
It seems to me that those who are dyslexic such as ^^ often make more of an effort with spelling etc and end up getting it right but just taking longer (i.e the above post appears pretty much spot on) whereas those who just can't be bothered leave their mistakes in and simply palm it off as 'dyslexia'.
I try my best to make it correct :)

Caporegime
Dyslexia almost certainly does exist, just nowhere near as many people suffer from it as are diognosed IMO. I do have serious gripes though with being allowed extra time in exams, so they cant do the exam in the time specified, well that is what an exam is for. When you get a job your employer isn't going to say "Can I have that report for monday Bob, oh wait you're dyslexic, erm friday then.." You may be dyslexic but that in a way is part of your intelligence, extra time just artificially inflates your intelligence.

Again with being given stuff, why should you be given thousands of pounds worth of computer equipment because you are dyslexic? Extra classes maybe but not thousands worth of equipment.

I know one dyslexic and tbh he is not just dyslexic he is as thick as two short planks which des make me think.

Permabanned
Alll the dyslexic people I know are dumbasses, and I totally agree that it's just a nicer word to use in place of stupid.

Soldato
Vibez said:
As said, dyslexia as a condition doesn't exist IMO, people who have dyslexia are of inferior intelligence and it's unfair they get an advantage over brighter students

Rubbish

know a girl at Uni does a degree in Physics and she has dyslexia

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd be pretty sure that dyslexia does exist as a condition but whether it is as prevalent as it now seems is another matter, as with any system to help people there will be those who choose to abuse it. Some will possibly believe they have the condition because they don't want to admit a 'failing' on their part and yet others will be cynically trying to claim whatever they can but that shouldn't mean that those who do genuinely struggle are also penalised or viewed with suspicion.

Soldato
I know this guy who is dyspraxic

he has someone take notes for him in lessons/lectuers

when he takes an exam, he sits in a separate room and tells another person what to write on the answer paper. they spell all the words for him.

Soldato
I'm dyslexic and still have a bit of ADD, I suffer when it comes to writing anything, but give me anything practical to do, from programming to building things and I’m fine.

I was only diagnosed in my early teens due to my natural intelligence covering it up. Thou its no help when I’m tired and i completely loose the ability to speak.

Associate
Will_3rd said:
Vibez said:
As said, dyslexia as a condition doesn't exist IMO, people who have dyslexia are of inferior intelligence and it's unfair they get an advantage over brighter students
Rubbish

know a girl at Uni does a degree in Physics

i wouldn't say all his post was rubbish. its weather people are using dyslexia as an excuse or just milking off the goverment.

i do agree that the condition exsist's but what you said does take us back to weather people are milking it.

Soldato
Actually, I have always wondered about this and odd how come it has been brought up. I suppose they key issue is whether there is a difference between stupid/thick/underachieving people and actual dyslexics with regards to genes, dna, or whatever.

I also used to think that dyslexics only used to be those who spelt with letters reversed. Indeed, nowadays I do get the feeling, a lot of people who cannot spell pass it as dyslexia.

Associate
I've got it and so has my brother who got a 2-1 last year.

When I was diagnosed with it about 17 years ago I was the only person I knew with it and now it seems that everyone's got it.

My diagnose was done at a local hospital and they spent a whole day running different tests on my vision and writting and talking.

When I was at middle school I was given a lot of help with it and I have learnt a lot of ways to deal with it.

For me I find that I have to constantly check what I have written and normally I tend to get whole words mixed up rather than just bad spelling I also do this when I talk sometimes normally when ive got a lot to say.

I do agree that there is a lot of milking of the system going on and that the lines of diagnosis need to be drawn and adhered too or else people will continue to milk the system at the down fall of the people that actually do have it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom