Dyslexia = middle class word for Stupid?

Suspended
My youngest brother is believed to be dyslexic, although no tests have so far been done to find out, he is 8.

Now, he has real trouble getting his words out, read and writing are very difficult for him, not just through the believed dyslexia but also because he has trouble keeping his attention on his work. yet he works his little ass off, he puts in 120% every day and that just keeps him at the same level as everyone else in his class.

However, his real skill comes into play when you have anything that needs hands on work, building things, taking things apart, anything 3 dimensional. Everyone has strengths and weakness, its how we approach our weaknesses that show who we are.

Man of Honour
Having dyslexia myself I can say that I do have a problem reading and I can understand the professor’s confusion. However, I certainly don’t use it as a fig leaf and my kids are thoroughly aware of my dyslexia. They don’t have a problem with it and neither do I. Dyslexia certainly doesn’t mean you can’t read or have a low IQ. On the contrary, I have an average IQ and I do read often. However, being Dyslexic, I do have problems remembering and understanding what I’ve just read. This is because I read faster than what my brain registers the information. The two are not in sync. Therefore, I miss vital pieces of information including the correct spelling of words, punctuation and more vital the content of information. Over a period of time (since a kid), this becomes a habit and resulted in learning difficulties when I was younger.

My dyslexia is quite mild now because I’ve learnt to deal with it and try and break the habit. As an adult, I make time to read things thoroughly and carefully, making sure that I understand everything I read. I don’t read books because it’s pointless. After a few chapters I’ve lost the story and haven’t a clue what I’ve read. Instead, I read interest magazines and book what I’m interested in because if there is interest, there is concentration. I do though slip up every day and people do pick up on it.

Am I stupid? Probably. I’ve always had the Mickey taken out of me even to this day because of mindless morons who don’t understand what dyslexia really is. Do I care? Of course not, if I did then I would let others get to me which could make the situation worse. I certainly wouldn’t be posting here otherwise. I look at the virtues I do have and use them to my advantage. I hold a good job with good money. I have a lovely family and a decent sized house so that’s proof that it’s not come between me, my life and where I want to be.

nero120 said:
Dyslexia was something that I never understood. As far as I am concerned, everyone has differing abilities at processing information and learning concepts. There were kids in my physics class that got every lesson straight away and others (including me) that took more time to understand the concepts being taught. If I wanted to keep up I had to put in the extra time to learn and understand these lessons. That is the nature of life, everyone is different.

I rest my case...

Last edited:
Soldato
nero120 said:
All dyslexia does is to encourage people to believe in an artificial reality where everyone is equal and to hold others back so that the stupid/lazy/etc can be carried along. In my opinion, there is absolutely no real need for the term dyslexia as anyone who cannot get concepts and lessons as quick as others should understand that it is their own responsibility to put in the extra time and effort so that they can keep up. Allowing people to milk these ridiculous non-conditions are one of the reasons why british society is losing the edge.
What you're talking about there is NOT dyslexia. :)

Soldato
Admiral Huddy said:
Having dyslexia myself I can say that I do have a problem reading and I can understand the professor’s confusion.
I don't think he's confused, I think he's worried everyone else is. From an earlier post:

branddaly said:
This seems to be a case of of the article taking his quotes out of context. Prof. Elliot has argued that;

" not a case of whether dyslexia exists or not (this is not really a meaningful question) but, rather, that it is essential that everyone is agreed about what we mean by this term." (http://www.tes.co.uk/search/story/?story_id=2156870)"

Back
Top Bottom