E-reader suggestions

Associate
Hi all,

I want to buy my mother an e-reader for her birthday on the 16th (last minute decision!) and have had a quick scan around looking for one but can't decide on what to get.

I had a look at the kindle but it has a 3 week delivery so that's not an option.

What suggestions do you have for fairly decent e readers that are easy to use and load e books on to?

Associate
The Sony's are easy to use and arent locked to one website like the kindle. The pocket was is very basic but a good reader for holidays etc. The touch edition has the larger screen and built in extras

Associate
I would still recommend the kindle got mine last week and can't fault it crystal clear display, easy on the eye and the experimental browser is pretty good for what it is. Mine was for my birthday as well and it was over month after but worth the wait.

Also love whipsernet, buy a book get it on you kindle if it's on 3g or wireless in 20 seconds or excelent.

Associate
Have to agree with Dazza. My kindle 3 arrived a week ago and it's pretty damn good. The eInk screen is really something to be seen - it's very weird to look at (just like a sheet of off-white paper) but reading is a dream on it.

The "experimental" browser is better than I expected. You can't watch videos etc but it's ideal for reading material on the net - bbc news, wikipedia, maps... essentially any website that is designed to display information for you to read is great on the kindle. Sites that need some interaction are less good/easy.

Associate
I have a Sony, not the touch one. My mum has the touch one and it seems worse to be honest.

The Sony feels a nice wait, is nice to read and just feels like a good piece of kit.

Associate
I would still recommend the kindle got mine last week and can't fault it crystal clear display, easy on the eye and the experimental browser is pretty good for what it is. Mine was for my birthday as well and it was over month after but worth the wait.

Also love whipsernet, buy a book get it on you kindle if it's on 3g or wireless in 20 seconds or excelent.

So it uses the 3g to browse with? So you have free net for life kind of thing? Also, all my books are in Epub, how easy is it to get them onto a Kindle?

Associate
I have the sony reader (pre-touch one) my wife has the new kindle.

My Sony does everything I need it to, but for sheer value for money and features the Kindle blows the Sony out of the water. If I didn't already have the Sony (and have no reason to upgrade) I would have bought the Kindle.

Check out Calibre for converting e-books from pretty much any format.

E-I

Associate
I have the sony reader (pre-touch one) my wife has the new kindle.

My Sony does everything I need it to, but for sheer value for money and features the Kindle blows the Sony out of the water. If I didn't already have the Sony (and have no reason to upgrade) I would have bought the Kindle.

Check out Calibre for converting e-books from pretty much any format.

E-I

Calibre always messes up my groups on the Sony, not sure If I do something wrong with it or what.

Associate
Do you mean is was messing up author, title etc on import? If so, its all just a case of getting the import regular expression right (a setting on the import preferences somewhere) for how your e-book files are named.

All I did was pop in to the Calibre forum, give them a couple of examples of how my e-book filenames are structured and some very nice person created a very bizarre random string of characters etc that once in place of the default import string suddenly worked fine and everything was imported with the author, book title, series etc all recognised correctly.

Best,

E-I

Associate
Get her an iPad cos you love her and she's your mother you Kindle skinflint! lol

Yikes!

God no, the thing thats so great about the e-readers is that they are an e-paper screen, not backlit, but high resolution and very easy on the eyes. I spend all day on a computer, the last thing I need is a couple more hours spent staring at a backlit screen, to be honest the main reason I went e-reader is thats its just like reading a paper book.

Also the iPad is quite heavy and uncomfortable to hold in my opinion, and definately not something I would want to hold while reading in bed.

iPad definately not for the win in this case!

E-I

Associate
Yikes!

God no, the thing thats so great about the e-readers is that they are an e-paper screen, not backlit, but high resolution and very easy on the eyes. I spend all day on a computer, the last thing I need is a couple more hours spent staring at a backlit screen, to be honest the main reason I went e-reader is thats its just like reading a paper book.

Also the iPad is quite heavy and uncomfortable to hold in my opinion, and definately not something I would want to hold while reading in bed.

E-I

Exactly, for just book reading, e-readers all the way.

Associate
Yikes!

E-I

Just teasing - Your right. The Kindle is a great for readers and nicely priced for a gift too :D

Associate
I was thinking about getting one of these. Is it worth getting the extra 3G version or the wireless one ok?

I bought the 3G one just in case and I love it. To be honest though, I could easily manage with the WiFi only model and would have saved myself £40 in the process (this would have gone towards the Case with the Light which I also bought). Having said that, I knew that if I did buy the WiFi one, I'd only wish I'd bought the 3G one later.

Soldato
I bought the 3G one just in case and I love it. To be honest though, I could easily manage with the WiFi only model and would have saved myself £40 in the process (this would have gone towards the Case with the Light which I also bought). Having said that, I knew that if I did buy the WiFi one, I'd only wish I'd bought the 3G one later.

Thanks for clearing that up ;)

Associate
Yeah I just got a 3G one for my birthday and it's just reassuring to have the 3G. Really pleased with the whole thing, clarity is amazing and it's handling PDFs i've put on straight across the USB really well too.

Back
Top Bottom