E46 330ci vs M3

Don
So I see - I think I need to find some more in the flesh and see what I like interior wise.

The g/f wasn't liking the idea of a red interior either :p

I did say 8k, but i'm thinking i want a beaten up 325 to skid around buxton etc. for fun times :D

just so you know the imola red interior is a pain in the arse to photograph, its a lot darker in real life than it is in the majority of the pictures :)

mine turns me on at least twice a day

Man of Honour
I don't want to be a drift king, I want to have a laugh in a car I don't really care about. Hence the ebay suspension parts and near-dead car ;)

This bit seems a bit random, the costs of running and insuring two cars is more than you'd expect.

Associate
Do you realise the costs involved in regularly taking your car on the track? It's properly expensive stuff (well to me anyway), you have the cost of using the track, the consumables (tyres, petrol etc) track day insurance, car transport costs if the car isn't road legal... the list goes on.

I agree with thepeteh, just get a nice car to keep as your pride and joy.

Associate
just so you know the imola red interior is a pain in the arse to photograph, its a lot darker in real life than it is in the majority of the pictures :)

mine turns me on at least twice a day

I've found this with the red leather, same with the ST220, never looks great in the photos but in reality it's pretty nice!

Don
Do you realise the costs involved in regularly taking your car on the track? It's properly expensive stuff (well to me anyway), you have the cost of using the track, the consumables (tyres, petrol etc) track day insurance, car transport costs if the car isn't road legal... the list goes on.

FYI my insurer gives me five tracks a year included in my £527 premium :)

http://www.competition-car-insurance.co.uk/contact.htm

Soldato
OP

Nearly dead part worn tyres / fuel is irrelevant for half a day's drifting, it's not like you're solidly on track the whole time / last drift day I went to was £10 for the whole day less two hours in the middle for a small competition session, 4 cars running at a time, 3/4 laps then off and back of the queue - i'd say about 25% of time on track 75% of time queueing.

One of the guys I was with who was running a 325 used one set of rears during the half day (part worn) and less than 1/2 tank of fuel.

The only issue I can see is insurance, I'll have to see what admiral's multicar policy is like for 2k miles a year or something.

Associate
Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;20168708 said:
He has a £6-8k budget. I really dont think buying the M3 is the answer.

I want forum entertainment, I want fire and tears, I want told you so's and arguments, THIS IS MOTORS.

Buy the M3.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;20168708 said:
He has a £6-8k budget. I really dont think buying the M3 is the answer.

I agree. If the costs were say <10% more then perhaps, but 'massive' puts me right off. The 330 is a sensible outlay for what I want IMO and I'm prepared to pay for it.

Cheers for all the advice guys!

Re the drift thing - it's something I really want to do and it's available to do cheaply enough for me to afford these days, so I'm going to do it.

Personal choice - less pub, more skidding ;)

Man of Honour
Re the drift thing - it's something I really want to do and it's available to do cheaply enough for me to afford these days, so I'm going to do it.

Do it with something other than an E30 325i then - they cost a lot for what they are, and you don't seem bothered what it is provided you can drift it, there are going to be better choices for a cheap drift car.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;20167890 said:
If you are in the sub £10k budget you'll buy a fantastic 330Ci or a much older M3.

Unless you really *want* an M3, you'll likely find a 330Ci is 70% of the car for 50% of the costs..

The problem is, the 30% is where all the excitement is...

What is your car history OP? I would suggest driving both as although the 330ci is a good car, the M3 is something special.

Soldato
I agree. If the costs were say <10% more then perhaps, but 'massive' puts me right off. The 330 is a sensible outlay for what I want IMO and I'm prepared to pay for it.

Cheers for all the advice guys!

Personal choice - less pub, more skidding ;)

I would definatly avoid an M3 if you fancy going side ways for extended periods anyway.
Sure they are superb at it but would be rather pricey on petrol and tyres, and if you ended up busting engine or diff mounts then it would most definatly be sobbing time.

If you want something fast that sounds great and fun for the occasional empty damp roundabout drift (y0) then save a few grand more and buy the M3 as no doubt it will feel more special.

Back
Top Bottom