E46 M3 vs......

Soldato
Oracle said:
and apparently 308mm brakes will stop a car quicker than 288mm brakes when they both wear the same rubber and the tyres lock up at the same point! :rolleyes:
Why the :rolleyes: ?

Larger diameter discs will dissipate heat better than smaller discs and will prevent the brakes locking, therefore stop the wheels locking. It's not all about when the tyres lose traction.

Permabanned
emailiscrap said:
Why the :rolleyes: ?

Larger diameter discs will dissipate heat better than smaller discs and will prevent the brakes locking, therefore stop the wheels locking. It's not all about when the tyres lose traction.

Trust me, they wont! i'm not getting into this debate in this thread, but its been done to death before. Larger brakes will avoid brake fade and are great for doing track days, etc. But line two cars up at 60mph and both brakes regardless of size will cause the tyres to loose traction and skid at the same point, therefore making larger brakes rather pointless in a road going situation. It is the tyres contact with the ground that determines a cars ability to stop quickly. Once the tyres are locked, larger brakes are going to do sod all over their smaller colleagues!

Soldato
OP
Oracle said:
Shut it! Just cos your rear brakes are larger than your fronts doesnt mean you can join in!!! :D ;)

are they :o that be the drum brakes in the rears needing more space I supose.

Was cos I got a pounding as I want some AP 6 pots on 380mm discs and got the whole wast of money

How can something that looks so cool be a waste of cash? form over function every time ;)

seriously I am sticking on pagid blues braided hosess and AP 5.1 fluid to aid initial bite, fade and to give better feel. To improve my braking I am gonna slap some 245 or 255 rubber at the front and some 275 at the back

Permabanned
Steve said:
are they :o that be the drum brakes in the rears needing more space I supose.

Was cos I got a pounding as I want some AP 6 pots on 380mm discs and got the whole wast of money

How can something that looks so cool be a waste of cash? form over function every time ;)

seriously I am sticking on pagid blues braided hosess and AP 5.1 fluid to aid initial bite, fade and to give better feel. To improve my braking I am gonna slap some 245 or 255 rubber at the front and some 275 at the back

You got it my man! Handbrake shoes in the rears make them slightly larger than the fronts. Get some stickier rubber any day over larger brakes. The braided hoses....again, dont really care for them....they deal with heat better and stop hose bulge. Pads......excellent choice. Steve, what happened to your old M3? Did it get knackered or was it repaired!?

Soldato
OP
Oracle said:
You got it my man! Handbrake shoes in the rears make them slightly larger than the fronts. Get some stickier rubber any day over larger brakes. The braided hoses....again, dont really care for them....they deal with heat better and stop hose bulge. Pads......excellent choice. Steve, what happened to your old M3? Did it get knackered or was it repaired!?

Ah the old M3 is currently being restored to better than its former glory as my mate has got them to change the bonnet and front screen which were stone chipped (cheeky beggar)

The only problem is the damaged ACS wheel as they can't get them anymore BMW were going to change all of them if they could have found a set, he insurance my just give him he cash for a new set!!!!! second hand set of ebay and pocket loads cash alert

he always spawns things :( :p

Soldato
divine_madness said:
Pretty sure there is [at least] one in Southampton anyway, seen it around plenty of times.

Twas int carpark next to Zepler [IT Building by the banks]... same thrown up colour and all...

Zip

Zip

Soldato
If you got a really long rope and then tied the car to the tractor who would win then.

You start the car and tractor back to back from each other and drive off and keep going until the rope finally gains tension and some one gets pulled along.

Who will win then? Kind of like a run up situation.

Man of Honour
Zip said:
If you got a really long rope and then tied the car to the tractor who would win then.

You start the car and tractor back to back from each other and drive off and keep going until the rope finally gains tension and some one gets pulled along.

Who will win then? Kind of like a run up situation.
The car would fall apart.

Back
Top Bottom