Earth on the scale of things...

Soldato
Gilly said:
Not seen MiB2 but it made me think of the very end of MiB, the alien playing marbles with galaxies.

same kind of thing, they open a locker and theres a whole species living in there thinking its the whole world. then at the end Tommy Lee opens a door at the MIB station and it shows that our world was in the locker of some other place too.

havent ruined any of the film for you there by the way just a gag in the film. :p

Soldato
Colin_da_Killer said:
What the hell? I've never heard of those bigger than the sun... :confused:

Betelgeuse and Rigel are stars in Orion, one of the most prominent constellations viewable in the northern hemisphere.

Suspended
I know the largest are suns are red giants, but imagine if Earth was Antares sized..imagine the amount of time involved to travel with modern transport :eek: I guess in comparison it'll be as long as a snail takes to slither around Earth.

Do you have any higher quality pictures?

Man of Honour
Clerkin said:
it made me think of the locker scene on Men in Black 2. how our perceptions of size are just... way off

Yeah. I've spent many nights looking up at the stars on our terrace in Cyprus with a small 130mm reflector telescope. It was strangely soothing I found...

Man of Honour
It really really does get you thinking (well me anyway) about just how stupidly insignificant our little planet is. The earth could just be destroyed in a couple of seconds without us realising and you just wouldn't notice the change around anything that big, it's just so hard to realise how big those things, and how big our universe is, then trying to understand what it's all about. Meh, I'm waffling.

Soldato
DaveyD said:
It really really does get you thinking (well me anyway) about just how stupidly insignificant our little planet is. The earth could just be destroyed in a couple of seconds without us realising and you just wouldn't notice the change around anything that big, it's just so hard to realise how big those things, and how big our universe is, then trying to understand what it's all about. Meh, I'm waffling.

its a great topic for drunken conversation. everyone gets emotional :p

Soldato
The other strange thing is how our current technology allows us to travel around the whole of earth in around 24 hours, just seems a little convenient that the earth is the perfect size for air travel, so if our planet was the size of say Jupiter do you think our technology would be more advanced and allow us to travel even faster?

Associate
Fusion said:
Betelgeuse and Rigel are stars in Orion, one of the most prominent constellations viewable in the northern hemisphere.

Now I may be being stupid here but can we see antares and is it the north star? :confused:

Man of Honour
Sirrel Squirrel said:
The other strange thing is how our current technology allows us to travel around the whole of earth in around 24 hours, just seems a little convenient that the earth is the perfect size for air travel, so if our planet was the size of say Jupiter do you think our technology would be more advanced and allow us to travel even faster?
:/

L337 LooX said:
Now I may be being stupid here but can we see antares and is it the north star? :confused:
Its one of the brightest in our sky, its not the north star though.

Freefaller said:
Yeah. I've spent many nights looking up at the stars on our terrace in Cyprus with a small 130mm reflector telescope. It was strangely soothing I found...
They've kinda ruined it with that big light on the corner.

Soldato
squiffy said:
I know the largest are stars are red giants, but imagine if Earth was Antares sized..imagine the amount of time involved to travel with modern transport :eek: I guess in comparison it'll be as long as a snail takes to slither around Earth.

Do you have any higher quality pictures?

corrected ;)

fuz

fuz

Associate
In the winter months Betelgeuse is easily spotted near Orion's Belt, while Rigel is his foot. Sirius is the brightest star in our sky.

Back
Top Bottom