Earth on the scale of things...

L337 LooX said:
Now I may be being stupid here but can we see antares and is it the north star? :confused:

We can see it, but it isn't the north star- that's Polaris, in Ursa Minor.

sco_con.gif

Scorpio is very low in the sky in July as viewed from the UK, to the south.

Sirrel Squirrel said:
lol, that was one of those questions in my mind that hurts your head too much if you try and think about it, the same sort of thing as trying to think what it was like before you're born and when you're dead, just if it'd be blackness or something else.

please stop :p

Zip said:
What is Antares? :confused:

Here is a bit of info about Antares for you....

Description of the Star
Antares A is the cool red M1.5Iab-Ib supergiant primary of a double star system. The effective temperature is about 3100 K. The star is approximately 10,000 times as luminous as the sun. Acccording to Burnham Antares A would have a mass of 10 to 15 times that of the sun.

This huge star has a radius that is probably almost 4 AU. If the sun were replaced by Antares A at the center of the solar system, the earth would be engulfed, :eek: as would be Mars and the Asteroid Belt. Jupiter would orbit about 1 AU* from the surface of the star!.

* 1 AU = The Astronomical Unit
The Distance from Earth to Sun

The astronomical unit, the AU, is a unit of distance equal approximately to the average distance between the earth and sun. More precisely stated, one astronomical unit is approximately the value of the semimajor axis of the orbit of the earth. (For the purists, the AU is actually a tiny bit less than the semimajor axis.) This represents a distance of about 93 million miles or 150 million kilometers.

Expressing a distance in AU then represents a comparison with the earth's distance from the sun. Jupiter at 5.2 AU from the sun is 5.2 times further from the sun than the earth. Pluto at 39.5 AU is almost 40 times farther from the sun than the earth is.

Fusion said:
It's not particularly hot, actually. Twice the surface temperature of the sun, at a push. Rigel is hotter (blue stars have the greatest temperature).

I thought the hotest hot rating went

White, Blue, Red, Orange, Yellow :confused:

Zip said:
I thought the hotest hot rating went

White, Blue, Red, Orange, Yellow :confused:

The hotter a body, the shorter the wavelength at which it will emit most of it's radiation (Wien's displacement law). Blue stars output massive amounts of ultraviolet.

Back
Top Bottom