Earth on the scale of things...

Digital Punk said:
Just shows how insignificant the human race is, with all its stupid wars, religions and other crap. We mean NOTHING!!!

We are a mere spec in an almighty huge void of space.

Forget everthing we know about he world, there's a whole galaxy out there... and then some!!!

Great post :)

Digital Punk said:
yeah, glad someone has posted something like this.

Just shows how insignificant the human race is, with all its stupid wars, religions and other crap. We mean NOTHING!!!

We are a mere spec in an almighty huge void of space.

Forget everthing we know about he world, there's a whole galaxy out there... and then some!!!

Statements like this really annoy me. Personally, I think we're the most important thing in the whole universe. Unless there are other intelligent species out there, in which case we become *one of* the most important things in the universe. Sure, lumps of rock and giant fires are all very impressive, but I definately believe the people that look at them and think 'ooh, pretty' are more so.

Space is big, yes. Those images give you an idea of the scales of stars, but the distances between them (and those between galaxies, and those between clusters of galaxies, and superclusters....) become ridiculous. Seriously ridiculous.

EDIT
Just to explain my previous view a little.. Stars, at the end of the day (oh ho), are remarkably simple objects. They follow a few well-known laws, and its possible to derive their properties (size, temperature, inner turbulence and more) using just a few measurements and a little derivation. In fact, to get pretty good approximations you can use nothing more than A-level calculus. (We did this at the start of my degree, as an example.) Now compare that to the human brain, which no-one has yet come close to understanding, and tell me which is more impressive?
Maybe if I'd done biology instead of physics I'd realise the brain is actually pretty simple too, and so be more impressed by things like this. :p

Last edited:
-Tauren- said:
If a star like antares exploded in a supernova, would we know about it? Or just like...go to sleep one night and all end up dead?

Antares is 604 light years away from Earth. If it went supernova right this second, we wouldn't be able to tell until 604 years from now because that's how long it would take the light from the explosion to get here. It's far enough away not to kill us.

gord said:
Its still impossible for me to imagine the size of those..

"You see dougal... these cows are small... but those ones.. are far away..."
Hahaha, classic :D

And I thought, although the universe is still expanding, that it's not infinite but if you somehow reached the edge you'd continue moving around the outside of it, or appear on the other side?

Our universe is not infinite , there is a horizon at 13.7 billion light years (also the age of the universe)
At the horizon, new space is being created (this is hard to grasp for normals) and the creation of space is accelerating (you might have hearding universe is accelerating and expanding.

The main questions about what lies outside the universe, well as far as physics is concerned you need to get into 11D Brane theory for that. I don't think anything outside our universe can affect us so it will be hard to prove anything exists outside it(empirically anyways).

Our universe apparently lies on 3D brane in 11D higher space, so beyond our universe, there will be other universes in this 11D higher space

Incase you were wondering heres how the dimensions work

3 are our normal space
1 is time
6 are for strings
1 is for branes

I think thats the best answer physics can do atm to all your questions, I study physics and still it feels at best "speculation"

There is no evidence for any of the above just to point out

sid

sid said:
Our universe is not infinite , there is a horizon at 13.7 billion light years (also the age of the universe)
At the horizon, new space is being created (this is hard to grasp for normals) and the creation of space is accelerating (you might have hearding universe is accelerating and expanding.

The main questions about what lies outside the universe, well as far as physics is concerned you need to get into 11D Brane theory for that. I don't think anything outside our universe can affect us so it will be hard to prove anything exists outside it(empirically anyways).

Our universe apparently lies on 3D brane in 11D higher space, so beyond our universe, there will be other universes in this 11D higher space

Incase you were wondering heres how the dimensions work

3 are our normal space
1 is time
6 are for strings
1 is for branes

I think thats the best answer physics can do atm to all your questions, I study physics and still it feels at best "speculation"

There is no evidence for any of the above just to point out

sid

Sid explain the term brane, and strings (know that 1, but not branes!)

Combat squirrel said:
Sid explain the term brane, and strings (know that 1, but not branes!)

This is wikipedia

"In theoretical physics, branes or p-branes are spatially extended objects that appear in string theory and its relatives (M-theory and brane cosmology). The variable p refers to the dimension of the brane. That is, a 0-brane is a zero-dimensional particle, a 1-brane is a string, a 2-brane is a "membrane", etc. Every p-brane sweeps out a (p+1)-dimensional world-volume as it propagates through spacetime."

That doesnt really explain a lot lol so i guess our 3d universe would be a 3-brane unless i've got the wrong end of the stick. These branes exist within the hyperspace.

sid

all this mass and these massive stars.

Can you REALLY believe all this came from something the size of a pea which went BANG. Can a pea sized object really contain everything from the universe?

I can't really see it like that. These scientists and astronomers keep changing there theories on what is on Saturns moon titan so imagine how wrong they could be regarding the Big Bang theory etc.

Last edited:
johnson said:
all this mass and these massive stars.

Can you REALLY believe all this came from something the size of a pea which went BANG. Can a pea sized object really contain everything from the universe?

I can't really see it like that. These scientists and astronomers keep changing there theories on what is on Saturns moon titan so imagine how wrong they could be regarding the Big Bang theory etc.

I think most scientist will agree that the universe was once a point of infinite density, the details will differ from theory to theory but the big bang appears in all theories i've seen.

The questions are about how were got to today from that singularity and what happened before that, there is little argument about the big bang in itself.

sid

Back
Top Bottom