EBay Impact Wrenches

Associate
i have the Ryobi One+ 400NM impact wrench, it actually managed to undo the front hub nuts on my mk2 golf which was pleasantly surprising, as long as its kept fully charged it seems to handle anything i throw at it.

Soldato
i have the Ryobi One+ 400NM impact wrench, it actually managed to undo the front hub nuts on my mk2 golf which was pleasantly surprising, as long as its kept fully charged it seems to handle anything i throw at it.

Ah, mine got defeated by an Audi front hub bolt the other day. Now, in fairness, this is a bolt that's torqued to 200Nm, then given another 180 degrees which is incredibly tight.

The batteries on the Ryobi ones are absolute crap though. They cost a fortune to buy and last no time at all. I've had a 1.5Ah (£35 each) and a 2 x 2.5Ah (£45 each) both go bad within 18 months and were only used less than 10 times between them. They're stored fully charged and in decent ambient conditions too. I've decided to give the unbranded ones a go now and to be honest, i'm gutted I didn't try them sooner. I got 2 x unbranded 4Ah batteries from eBay for £28 the other day and after doing several jobs on my girlfriends car, where i used the impact wrench heavily, one battery still had 50% power and I hadn't even started using the second one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, mine got defeated by an Audi front hub bolt the other day. Now, in fairness, this is a bolt that's torqued to 200Nm, then given another 180 degrees which is incredibly tight.

The batteries on the Ryobi ones are absolute crap though. They cost a fortune to buy and last no time at all. I've had a 1.5Ah (£35 each) and a 2 x 2.5Ah (£45 each) both go bad within 18 months and were only used less than 10 times between them. They're stored fully charged and in decent ambient conditions too. I've decided to give the unbranded ones a go now and to be honest, i'm gutted I didn't try them sooner. I got 2 x unbranded 4Ah batteries from eBay for £28 the other day and after doing several jobs on my girlfriends car, where i used the impact wrench heavily, one battery still had 50% power and I hadn't even started using the second one.
that is odd.. I had mine for what must be 3 years now with regular use etc and the batteries are going strong and no issues with either(got 1.5ah and 5ah)

Soldato
I also own this impact wrench but he hog ring version rather than detent pin. Haven't got to use it yet though!

It's good :p

Also, on the subject of impact guns. Anyone use/believe in torque sticks? I've got a 110NM one that I've checked against my torque wrench and is about right on wheel studs, although I still don't trust it so rarely use it!

Associate
Even if this breaks after a couple of years worth of use it still seems a good deal for a 520Nm impact wrench, even better when you already have Makita batteries. Or am I missing something?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293357826792
I bet that can’t do 520Nm, I’ve used cheap impact wrenches with big Nm figures and they struggle taking off wheel nuts.

Associate
You shouldn't be doing up your wheels with a rattle gun and a simple tyre wrench will be able to change tyres. The fact is you very rarely have the need to take a rattle gun away from the garage and a compressor one is far better.

Using the little battery operated ones that use screwdriver bits I get completely as they are a godsend for diy.
If you know your tool you know how many ugger duggers it takes to do up a wheel nut enough to finish off with a quarter turn with a torque wrench.

With impact wrenches you get what you pay for I’ve ditched most of my air powered tools for 18v, I only have one stubby 1/2 air gun I’m keeping that for jobs where there is no room battery gun

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Got mine, its crap, won't even undo the Abarth 17mm wheel nuts, can't budge them, yet with a breaker bar they undo easy, so I just tightened them up but lightly and it cannot even remove those. It tries very hard, thrashing away and dust/rust vapors appearing but it just does not have the torque to spin the nuts off.

I'd say this impact driver is about 100-150nm maximum, I shall do more testing shortly of loosening a bolt and then torquing it until we get to the point of it failing.

Battery is a brand new 6AH Makita 18v, so not battery and had 100% charge.

AVOID!

P.S. Max nm it can remove is 150nm, just over 100lb/ft and this is on a bolt that has being undone, re-tightened so there is no corrosion etc. It tightens to around 120nm.

In short it does not even come close to the advertise 520nm, as the saying goes you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Associate
Can you post some close up pics please? Interested in how well it's made.

It's not bad to be fair, not much weight to it as a bare unit so it's not too heavy with a socket and battery.

The battery is a little tight to get on properly so I'd guess it needs some smoothing around that area to make it go on easier.

Mine seems to work better than Gibbos though, got a Clarke air impact gun that's rated to 680Nm and if I do a nut up with that, the battery one will undo it in a couple of seconds.
If I tighten a nut up with the battery one, the the air one will tighten it a further 1/8th of a turn.

I don't have my big torque wrench here but I'll try it out in the week and see if I can get a rough figure it'll tighten to.

Couple of functions on it as well, can select between small and large nuts and also a self stop when undoing. Both work fine.
@Gibbo might be worth checking you've got it set to large.

For reference, my batteries are 4Ah 18v, about 3 years old and they get used most days.

20200502-143536.jpg

20200502-150619.jpg

20200502-150712.jpg

OcUK Staff
The small to large setting is only optional for tightening up.

One step is just for undoing.

I did try all three settings and for whatever reason the 17mm wheel bolts on the Abarth when torqued beyond 150nm are beyond this impact gun and if tightened by with a bar by hand it has no chance. So on a suspension bolt I can’t see it having any chance. Unless it dislikes my battery which is an 18v 6ah 100Wh and like yours battery is a tight fit.

I’ll try it on more stuff but the wheel bolt made sense as a test.

Caporegime
Hi there

Got mine, its crap, won't even undo the Abarth 17mm wheel nuts, can't budge them, yet with a breaker bar they undo easy, so I just tightened them up but lightly and it cannot even remove those. It tries very hard, thrashing away and dust/rust vapors appearing but it just does not have the torque to spin the nuts off.

I'd say this impact driver is about 100-150nm maximum, I shall do more testing shortly of loosening a bolt and then torquing it until we get to the point of it failing.

Battery is a brand new 6AH Makita 18v, so not battery and had 100% charge.

AVOID!

P.S. Max nm it can remove is 150nm, just over 100lb/ft and this is on a bolt that has being undone, re-tightened so there is no corrosion etc. It tightens to around 120nm.

In short it does not even come close to the advertise 520nm, as the saying goes you get what you pay for.

The irony is i bought a genuine Makita Driver which does 140Nm for like £40. Mainly used for wood screws and undoing 10mm bolts etc. You need to put adapters in to use sockets etc. Uses drill batterys.

Back
Top Bottom