• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

eBay - RX6800 eBay Sale Going Wrong

Associate
When I got my 3090FE my power supply said no despite being 1000W and a relatively new one, bought new Corsair RM850x and it worked fine.

If he's not a scammer the repair tech should have solved it.

Associate
Depends where you agree to meet surely? Car park in the back of an industrial estate at 10pm - probably want to give that a miss. Local branch of your bank - I think it's fairly safe to assume they aren't going to mug you in front of multiple witnesses and CCTV...
Why is it safe to assume? They could have a couple of friends waiting to mug you in the bank. Covid made it easy to cover their faces for CCTV, and do you think it's likely that a member of the public that witnesses it would try to be a hero and risk getting stabbed? Probably wouldn't even need to go in the bank, they could be waiting outside and just snatch the GPU.

Last edited:
Soldato
Life is full of What-If's. Just be sensible about any transaction and consider all the possible outcomes in order to come to an arrangement that gives you minimal risk and you're comfortable with.

I have sold £500+ items on FB Marketplace, cash on collection
I have sold a £600 item on Gumtree, bank transfer on collection

I can't say my experience provides a hard and fast rule because in both instances I made sure I was satisfied the buyer wasn't shady before giving my address.

Soldato
Why is it safe to assume? They could have a couple of friends waiting to mug you in the bank. Covid made it easy to cover their faces for CCTV, and do you think it's likely that a member of the public that witnesses it would try to be a hero and risk getting stabbed? Probably wouldn't even need to go in the bank, they could be waiting outside and just snatch the GPU.

Assuming you're stupid enough to walk down the street waving a GPU box around then sure :cry:

Or course the above scenario could also happen if you weren't arranging to meet someone to sell a GPU, they could just wait outside Curry's or Phones4u and grab your nice shiny new laptop or iPhone.

The chances of being mugged in a busy bank branch are almost certainly significantly lower than being scammed on Ebay, after all, people have been using that method to privately sell cars for years and that usually involves far larger sums than £1.5k

Associate
Of course they could. You could get hit by a bus on the way there as well. For something of that value, I'd still be more confident of doing it that way than taking my chances with scammers on Ebay
Each to their own, I'd much rather take my chances with a regular eBay auction with delivery. Also in your earlier example of waiting outside Curry's or Phones4u, iPhone would likely be reported stolen and bricked, and they'd likely be waiting a long time for someone to walk out with an item worth £1.5k. Guaranteed RTX 3090 worth at least £1.5k (probably more) would be a much more appealing risk/reward.

Soldato
Assuming you're stupid enough to walk down the street waving a GPU box around then sure :cry:

Or course the above scenario could also happen if you weren't arranging to meet someone to sell a GPU, they could just wait outside Curry's or Phones4u and grab your nice shiny new laptop or iPhone.

The chances of being mugged in a busy bank branch are almost certainly significantly lower than being scammed on Ebay, after all, people have been using that method to privately sell cars for years and that usually involves far larger sums than £1.5k

Well I didn't get mugged heading into a branch of CEX carrying a gfx box under my arm

Ok it was only a 2080ti if it was a 3080FE I guess I should have security then eh? lol.

Soldato
This is what I do to protect myself 1) ask the buyer to only bring new bank notes ie no old style. 2) the item is locked in my car until they give the money and it's all checked. Never failed me.

That wouldnt work for me as a buyer im afraid especially for a £1500 GFX card.

1 - I would only collect from your residential address so i have your address in case of problems. I dont mean on the doorstep - id want to come into your house.
2 - If you wanted cash youd get what i had - older paper notes or newer ploymer notes. Both are still legal tender. As i work for post office you can be assured i can spot a dud note ;)
3 - No cash would be handed over until after i had inspected the item. If im in your home id expect a demo to show it working.

As a seller id fully expect someone to want the same. Only last week i sold a case on facebook for £20. He spent 10 mins unboxing it and checking it over before he gave me the cash. I was suprised for a £20 item but thats his perogative.

Soldato
Why not sell a card for collection only and show them it working in your machine? Then they can go away with a nice warm GPU.
I would imagine not everyone would feel comfortable with letting a stranger which they do not really know to be into their home for longer than needed to be or if at all. It's not the same as greeting them outside the home at the door step with just the item and cash changing hands.

Nobody would know for sure if they weren't burglar that want to quick scouting the house to identify things of value for a later potential break-in as they go in, or even worse taking out a weapon and rob you on the spot inside your own home (out in the open at least there will be people and witnesses at least).

Soldato
I would imagine not everyone would feel comfortable with letting a stranger which they do not really know to be into their home for longer than needed to be or if at all. It's not the same as greeting them outside the home at the door step with just the item and cash changing hands.

Nobody would know for sure if they weren't burglar that want to quick scouting the house to identify things of value for a later potential break-in as they go in, or even worse taking out a weapon and rob you on the spot inside your own home (out in the open at least there will be people and witnesses at least).

Yeah true. I have done it before - let someone in the house to see it running and then removed the GPU in front of them and handed it over. Took a snap of their number plate too.
I wouldn't have let them in if anything seemed off, but they seemed canny enough.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I recently sold my 1070 via FB Market and the guy came to my house... he was happy to just exchange on the doorstep, but I had the card in my rig to show him that it worked... I'll admit that I had some hesitation, but then I thought that if I was the buyer then I'd want to see that the card works.

You could argue it both ways... this dude is walking into a strangers house with a pocket full of money and isn't 100% sure if he is going to walk away with a gfx card or missing teeth.

Back
Top Bottom