Ebay Shutl delivery "stolen"

Associate
My first ever issue with Hermes using Shutl.....

Sold a bottle of classic car lead replacement additive on ebay £10 + 2.79 delivery and couriered using Shutl/ Hermes dispatched bagged and boxed 26/2

Tracking suggested delivery attempt made 1/3 though buyer no note / buyer was in / cctv suggested not the case.

Got the impression courier was having issue locating customers property .... customer telephone number provided.

Update 7/3 hermes contacted shutl for parcel description

Shutl have today updated 11/3 Security issue- parcel stolen

Unfortuante shutl have wiggled out of this issue on a technicality......" the item in question is included on our list of excluded/prohibited items, therefore we are unable to offer any compensation for this item. SHutl would have got the parcel contents info off the ebay listing

1.My issue here is if all liquids are prohibited why are shutl (an ebay company) offering me the courier service on ebay for a prohibited/ excluded item ?

2. Whats the best way to refund the buyer shall I do it through ebay or direct through paypal? I know from cancelling orders on ebay that this gives you a strike on account.

Soldato
1. It was your choice for using sutl and your fault for not checking what can be sent. I doubt it is all liquids, would be down to the chemicals I should imagine.

2. Contact buyer through eBay so it is recored and refund him the same way he paid you

Soldato
Do you honestly expect someone to oversee every order to see if it's prohibited?
You chose to send it without reading their exclusion list, it's down to you not them. They've not really wiggled out of anything.

You can refund through the eBay platform - have they opened a not received case? If so, just hit the Refund Buyer option and they'll do the rest.

Soldato
They've not really wiggled out of anything.

I get what you are saying but they have really, item wasn't damaged it was stolen, regardless of contents the issue here is nothing to do with the contents of the package. That said T&Cs are there in black and white so *shrugs*

As for the question OP, would the correct way not be for the buyer to register an item not received case and you to refund via resolution centre ?
Not sure on this to be fair as I sell very little through ebay. I am sure ebay chat/support would clear this up for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Hermes have that in their terms because their drivers are "self employed" and if liquids were to damage their van they would have to pay out, which they don't want to do so it's easier to put it in their terms.

As it's listed as theft in your tracking get police involved, keep screen shots of all the information including the tracking and any chat records. One thing Hermes dislike more than carrying items on their forbidden list is getting the police involved. I had a similar issue when sending an item with 30ml of liquid within the total package and it was "lost". Threatened them with police and eventually they paid out the £20 compensation.

After that I sent out the parcels with a false description as parcels only ever went missing, never damaged. Since switching over to Royal Mail most of my issues have gone trying to trace where parcels have gone.

Soldato
But they can't retroactively say it's not allowed anyway. They said it was stolen, so they have to compensate for stolen goods. Otherwise it's basically like them stealing it.

What's the problem with liquids? Is it just with certain couriers? I buy aftershave and smoke fluid regularly off eBay since 2013ish no probs. (Smoke fluid is what you put in smoke machines in nightclubs btw). What's up too with items made from overseas prisons? Presumably we're talking about non-contraband?

I LOL'led though @ Samsung Note being 7 and items on Her Majesty's Service :D

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

But they can't retroactively say it's not allowed anyway.

Yes they can. See what happens if you post a lithium battery with Royal Mail and they find out through a random parcel scan.

They said it was stolen, so they have to compensate for stolen goods.

They are only responsible if you abide by their t&c's, which the op hasn't, ergo they are not responsible for the parcel being stolen.

Otherwise it's basically like them stealing it.

Lol - no it isn't.

Soldato
Yes they can. See what happens if you post a lithium battery with Royal Mail and they find out through a random parcel scan.

They are only responsible if you abide by their t&c's, which the op hasn't, ergo they are not responsible for the parcel being stolen.

Lol - no it isn't.

RM well tell you it's not allowed as they should.

It was stolen from them so they are responsible for it. If the police wanted to look in to it they can't just fob them off with "oh well the contents were against our rules anyway". A crime took place within their company and they can't just sweep it under the carpet.

Last edited:
Soldato
"Stolen" is a pretty big statement - I'm really suprised that they used that word. Who stole it?
I was thinking about this last night. Why would a firm admit liability without a thorough investigation :confused: It would at least be 'missing' unless they witnessed someone pinching it from the van and running off.

Soldato
Doesn't get much clearer than that, you can't really call it wriggling out of anything. There's no way an automated system could 100% pickup that what you were selling was liquid and refuse to allow you to send it so it still lies with the seller checking the terms.
so what happens to the fact they they accepted his money and entered into a contract to deliver goods, which they failed to do?

Man of Honour
so what happens to the fact they they accepted his money and entered into a contract to deliver goods, which they failed to do?
The contract is void as he did not comply with the terms I'd imagine, they enter into a contract on the understanding that both sides have agreed to and comply with the T&Cs.

Soldato
You could chase them for a crime reference number (given they are the ones that had it stolen). See if they'd rather pay out £12.79 than involve the police.

In reality not sure I'd bother for £12 when it's a clear breach and states compensation isn't paid for prohibited items.

Back
Top Bottom