Ebay

Soldato
I've yet to link up my bank account and probably won't until I need to sell something. Are people saying that the funds won't clear until you have provided a tracking number? I suppose you could do the online postage, provide the tracking number and then wait for the funds to clear?

Not only ebay need serious competition so do virginmedia!

I maybe a bit naive by why do you have to wait till the money is in your account to sent the item. The item is ok to send when eBay has the funds as the buyer has paid and there no way for them to get the money back without opening a dispute?

I've sold a few high value items past few days and I've just sent them out next day, like I normally do.

8d6hEwF.png

Associate
I like it, glad I don't have to deal with PayPal and their £1 promos really are £1 now, sold a £200 item last week and received the money a couple of days later (minus £1). Last year I remember PayPal taking around £8 when I sold a PS4 Pro, I can understand why many people might be misled by those offers if they don't realize PayPal still take their cut. It wouldn't surprise me if they stopped the £1 promos after cutting PayPal out though, I don't see how it would be sustainable if they deal with payment processing fees and fraudulent buyers/sellers.

For those that are concerned about eBay having access to your bank account, just set up a Revolut account and transfer it to your main bank account when you are paid. I mean it probably won't help much if you get a dodgy buyer, eBay will side with them and you'd still owe the money unless you wanted to risk them taking you to court. However, it might be some comfort knowing eBay can't unexpectedly withdraw money from your account.

Soldato
Yeah they've apparently killed £1 fees now in favour of 80% off except for students as far as I'm aware.

Sadly I can't see Ebay ever having a decent competitor, they're too big and have a monopoly on the market.

Soldato
Yeah they've apparently killed £1 fees now in favour of 80% off except for students as far as I'm aware.

Sadly I can't see Ebay ever having a decent competitor, they're too big and have a monopoly on the market.
80% off fees works out better than £1. You now just pay 2.6% instead of 3.5% in PayPal fees + £1.

Permabanned

These days I am really reluctant to use ebay though. They are beyond terrible.

I personally think they went in completely the wrong direction. They were good as a second hand auction site, but they tried to move in to new goods. Problem is with new goods is that you don't really get a warranty with ebay items nor any decent customer services. ebay customer services largely consists of a recording saying it's nothing to do with us. As a seller they treat you like a piece of rubbish. They take so much money and are impossible to deal with. I prefer now to buy goods from proper stores. I rarely sell anythinng on ebay any more. The only time I will go to them is if I have anything I want to buy second hand.

Soldato
Wahey, I finally got paid, only took 5x longer than the previous system :rolleyes:

These days I am really reluctant to use ebay though. They are beyond terrible.

I personally think they went in completely the wrong direction. They were good as a second hand auction site, but they tried to move in to new goods. Problem is with new goods is that you don't really get a warranty with ebay items nor any decent customer services. ebay customer services largely consists of a recording saying it's nothing to do with us. As a seller they treat you like a piece of rubbish. They take so much money and are impossible to deal with. I prefer now to buy goods from proper stores. I rarely sell anythinng on ebay any more. The only time I will go to them is if I have anything I want to buy second hand.

Ebay is really handy (as a buyer) for little bits and pieces - e.g. random electrical components, and parts for DIY etc., e.g. the kind of stuff that if you were to buy it from a proper store would have a minimum order of 1,000 units or cost you 10x as much for a retail size pack. As you say though, for normal items you don't get proper buyer protection, and most of the time the price is the same.

Soldato
I maybe a bit naive by why do you have to wait till the money is in your account to sent the item. The item is ok to send when eBay has the funds as the buyer has paid and there no way for them to get the money back without opening a dispute?

I've sold a few high value items past few days and I've just sent them out next day, like I normally do.

8d6hEwF.png

Amazing isn't it?

They seem to have messed around with delivery estimates too, going by the arsey messages I've had off two buyers today. I had auctions which ended at 10:30pm on Monday. Listed as "dispatched by other courier (3-5 days)" (or whatever it is). Ebay, apparently, has told the buyers their items would arrive by today :rolleyes: When you consider that payments didn't clear until Wednesday evening, their delivery estimate becomes even more amazing; am I supposed to dispatch before payment clears?!?!?

Not sure I'll be using them much going forward. Already had one of the buyers reply to my message basically telling me that he doesn't care that eBay payments take 2 days to clear, or that eBay's delivery estimate was unrealistic - it's all my fault and I'll be getting negative feedback.

Associate
Amazing isn't it?

They seem to have messed around with delivery estimates too, going by the arsey messages I've had off two buyers today. I had auctions which ended at 10:30pm on Monday. Listed as "dispatched by other courier (3-5 days)" (or whatever it is). Ebay, apparently, has told the buyers their items would arrive by today :rolleyes: When you consider that payments didn't clear until Wednesday evening, their delivery estimate becomes even more amazing; am I supposed to dispatch before payment clears?!?!?

Not sure I'll be using them much going forward. Already had one of the buyers reply to my message basically telling me that he doesn't care that eBay payments take 2 days to clear, or that eBay's delivery estimate was unrealistic - it's all my fault and I'll be getting negative feedback.
If you delayed dispatch until eBay processed your payout, despite being informed that the buyer has paid and you should dispatch it now, that's a totally unnecessary delay and the negative feedback would be quite deserved in my opinion. It's not like eBay will randomly decide to keep the money for themselves now is it, if they do then small claims court easy win.

Soldato
If you delayed dispatch until eBay processed your payout, despite being informed that the buyer has paid and you should dispatch it now, that's a totally unnecessary delay and the negative feedback would be quite deserved in my opinion. It's not like eBay will randomly decide to keep the money for themselves now is it, if they do then small claims court easy win.

To be clear, I'm not referring to getting the funds in to my bank; only to the two days it takes for eBay to confirm that they have indeed received the funds from the buyer. The eBay forums are littered with people complaining about problems receiving funds under the new system, with many having sent the items out quickly only to then spend weeks fighting to get their money.

Also worth noting that the "Congratulations! Your item sold!" emails from eBay say to dispatch the items within three days. So waiting two days for payment to clear shouldn't be an issue. The problem is that seemingly eBay have calculated that 3 days (dispatch) + 5 days (maximum delivery time) = a delivery estimate of 4 days or less.

Soldato
It does? When I sold something a couple of weeks ago using eBay managed payments, I was notified within 20 minutes of the auction ending that the buyer had paid and I should post it.

Yeah, it's fine - all of my sales with the new system have had the payment confirmed as soon as the buyer paid. Not sure what would cause it to be delayed - possibly if they've paid with a new PayPal account or set up PayPal credit and needs to do identity checks or something?

Had no problems with the new system so far - always receive my money within a couple days of the buyer paying and I've been posting things when eBay has told me to. Much happier not having to pay PayPal fees on sales on top, I only ever used the £1 selling offers before to minimise the costs but even now that eBay are only doing 80%/50% off selling fees, it's still cheaper.

Soldato
Won't most buyers still want to pay with PayPal though? So you'll still have to put up with their dodgy business practices.

No the PayPal side is nothing to do with the seller now. Would be the same as if the buyer paid on card, as the seller you wouldn’t know how the buyer paid.

You also have seller protection if you do everything right no problem.

Back
Top Bottom