EK Predator Issues

Associate
Hi,

I first got the rev 1.0 which was recalled as they leaked, have now had the replacement for just under a year.

Recently when you turn the PC on you hear water gurgling around which finally settles.

Last night it got to the point where I could hear a whining noise and the odd gurgling sound - my temps rose and I had to raise the fans to 100% so I could use the machine for another hour.

From what I understand I can re-fill this unit but shouldn't have to until three years based on EKs info?

My question at the moment is what can I fill it with? De-ionized water from sainsburys or do I need to order something in particular? Assuming that is indeed the issue.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Associate
The same thing happened to one of our two Predator 280s, purchased in August last year. One has started the water whooshing sound at power on. I bought some EK coolant from OcUK assuming it needed a top up. Opened the case to find water had been leaking from where the tube connects to the block. The tubing had marks where water has been leaking, my fingers came away wet. Not best pleased, I removed it and it took a few ml of coolant top-up, not missing a great deal but as I said we've only had it since August 2016. I'm trying to arrange for an RMA for both units with the retailer, I don't want something less than 6 months old leaking water, making weird noises already - especially now they're all EOL.

Associate
Must have been drunk last night when I searched on my phone have now found the right stuff and ordered some.
As Kiyoshi says above, check carefully that is not a leak or something, you shouldn't be loosing coolant at any great rate of knots, afraid to say there has been quite a few reports of leaks lately so best to check.

Associate
OP
I'll check tonight as i'll take the unit out, I haven't seen any leaks but that's not to say it's happening where I cannot see and I've just been lucky that it hasn't leaked onto any components yet.

Shame as it's a nice looking unit, and for the price you'd expect the quality to be where it needs to be.

Associate
I liked the look, although the rubber tubing and the quick disconnects aren't very nice (just personal preference). I agree regarding the price, I thought the price and the good feedback on EK at the time I bought it made me get them - although over the last few months I've heard nothing but bad things about the quality control of the Predator units. I checked my receipt last night, it was actually 14th October 2016 I bought them, so only just 4 months old and they were £185.99 each for the 280 model.

Associate
OP
I have the 240 without the quick disconnects, agreed they look awful. The tubing matches the seahawk X gfx card I haves in colour at least so it all looks nice together.

Just checked and it was February so exactly a year ago that I got it.

Associate
Ah right, well I hope you get it sorted. In case it's helpful before your coolant arrives, I needed to buy a 6mm allen key to open my Predator 280 so you might need that if the 240 is the same. A pack of allen keys cost me £10, this coolant I bought was £6 and I still have 99.9% left in the bottle - and now the whole cooler is being returned, typical lol

As the retailer has accepted the returns, I'm on the lookout for a replacement AIO. I am considering the Corsair H115i, I actually went for the EK Predator over the Corsair last year because I thought the EK would be the better build quality lol

Associate
I ordered a Corsair H115i and fitted it tonight. Had a little issue with the standoffs as they were really loose screwing into the back plate, but now the pump is on it seems secure. The temperatures so far are pretty much the same as when I had the Predator 280, but most importantly my case is leak free! I hadn't really considered the DIY kits. I like the AIOs for the aesthetics and I don't have the patience or skill for trying my first full water setup.

Associate
I ordered a Corsair H115i and fitted it tonight. Had a little issue with the standoffs as they were really loose screwing into the back plate, but now the pump is on it seems secure. The temperatures so far are pretty much the same as when I had the Predator 280, but most importantly my case is leak free! I hadn't really considered the DIY kits. I like the AIOs for the aesthetics and I don't have the patience or skill for trying my first full water setup.
Every corsair AIO i owned always had a loose backplate/mounting screws, never affected performance though (almost feels like it is loose incase you need that little extra height).

Associate
I haven't attached the USB to the motherboard, which lets you run the Corsair software and that lets you alter the fan speed and light I believe. I read that not attaching the USB makes the unit default to low fan speed (not sure if true). My case is under the desk so I'm not really close to it, but for me personally the sound is fine - certainly not any louder than anything else in the case. I have an EVGA T2 850 PSU, EVGA 1080 Hybrid, and it doesn't add any noticeable extra noise as far as I can tell.

Associate
OP
So I went to top it up but it's full, re-seated, shook around etc, all OK for last night.

Today it's knackered again, 80 idle, pump making whining noise, stuttering, etc.

I'm going to have to RMA it. I'll need to order a replacement in advance I guess as I don't have anything spare.

Pretty annoying to RMA a second one within a year.

Associate
OP
Literally just after I posted it's settled down again and has returned to normal - will EK accept a return on this do you think? I took videos of each noise. Don't wanna shell out on a replacement and be out of pocket.

Back
Top Bottom