EKWB - Monoblock High Temps

Associate
Hi Guys,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Looking for some assistance from the seasoned veterans please.

I just completed my loop consisting of 1080ti full block, Asus Maximus Hero IX Monoblock, D5 Res/Pump Combo, 240 SE Rad, 360 SE Rad all joined with PETG hosing. Order is Pump -> GPU -> CPU -> 240 Rad -> 360 Rad -> Pump again.

GPU temps are perfect at 19'C idle and 32'C loaded. CPU on the other hand is idling at 40'C and spiking 80'C loaded. Chip is a 7700K with 1.2v. As a reference, my previous H115i AIO kept the same clock at 32'c idle and 61'c loaded.

I initially applied Thermal Grizzly to cpu, then when noticing the temps, removed the block, and could see there was contact between the block and cpu, and applied the standard EKWB paste and refitted the block. There was no change in temps at that point. Also note there are no bubbles or trapped air in the system.

Any ideas what the hell is going on here. Is this block faulty?

@EK Luc

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Soldato
Your cpu is running slightly hotter as you are dumping more heat into a loop. Even though you now have more rad surface area your cpu is contending with also having the heat pulled from the gpu. You would find that if your cpu was first in the loop it would be somewhat cooler and the gpu would be somewhat hotter.

Soldato
I can appreciate that, but running 20'C hotter?

Maybe not 20c, what gpu is it? One thing you may want to do is remove power to the gpu and run with onboard graphics and check the cpus temps then withou the gpu being powered, just to rule it out.

ofcourse this is if your motherboard has an display output. your cpu does have on board though so it can definitely be tried.

Associate
OP
Just pulled the GPU from the loop and CPU temps the exact same so definitely not the GPU before the CPU causing the issue. I am going to just pull the block and RMA it. POS. Still waiting to hear from EK on the matter.

Man of Honour
Having the gpu in front of the cpu in the loop should make next to no difference in cpu temps. I have my gpu before the cpu and temps are the same as they were when the cpu was before the gpu. Is that picture before you bled the system as there is a lot of air still in the loop?

Soldato
Check is the jet plate is in the correct orientation ? Could also be a flow issue seeing as you have a pretty restrictive loop.

Associate
Having the gpu in front of the cpu in the loop should make next to no difference in cpu temps. I have my gpu before the cpu and temps are the same as they were when the cpu was before the gpu. Is that picture before you bled the system as there is a lot of air still in the loop?
in that pic there is loads of air pockets all over you cant really judge the temps until its properly bled especially with a big air bubble sitting over the cpu. try rocking the case side to side & lifting front up & down also set the pump to max speed for a few days usually helps get rid of air

Soldato
Hi Guys,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Looking for some assistance from the seasoned veterans please.

I just completed my loop consisting of 1080ti full block, Asus Maximus Hero IX Monoblock, D5 Res/Pump Combo, 240 SE Rad, 360 SE Rad all joined with PETG hosing. Order is Pump -> GPU -> CPU -> 240 Rad -> 360 Rad -> Pump again.

GPU temps are perfect at 19'C idle and 32'C loaded. CPU on the other hand is idling at 40'C and spiking 80'C loaded. Chip is a 7700K with 1.2v. As a reference, my previous H115i AIO kept the same clock at 32'c idle and 61'c loaded.

I initially applied Thermal Grizzly to cpu, then when noticing the temps, removed the block, and could see there was contact between the block and cpu, and applied the standard EKWB paste and refitted the block. There was no change in temps at that point. Also note there are no bubbles or trapped air in the system.

@EK Luc

Thanks in advance!

Few things.

a) is your pump working at 100% speed?
b) since you have many corners and restrictions, have you considered to make it parallel loop?

Associate
yes I'm aware you are not the op I quoted your post to highlight that it had already been asked if the pic was before or after because that could be the problem.

Soldato
1. Make sure you have no air trapped like Pasty says

2. Are you measuring flow, can you see it all going well?

3. What are you using to monitor the temps?

4. For total clarity, loop order makes virtually no difference so you can forget that one... same BIOS and OC settings as before?

Associate
Hi Guys,

@EK Luc

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for this post. I'm in exactly the same situation. I can't get my head around why. I think it's the design.

Consider the GPU block, cut from a single sheet. The monoblock has two separated by a rubber seal. Do yoiu think that can have an impact?

Also getting rid of the air pockets in the monoblock is a nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom