Electric Bike Conversion Kit or Electric Bike?

Man of Honour
Now I have a bike(took long enough butt happy with it) looking in to this again.
Going to try and get some job lot untested battery packs on ebay this week and tear them apart.

Want to keep this as cheap as possible, so was looking at some of the Chinese kits. Has anyone got this or give some advice, I really want pedal assist rather than just throttle.
Was looking at this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161965218941?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Also what sort of range you talking about in say 10ah battery pack?
Or if I wanted 30mile range what ah would I realistically need (not that I'm suggesting 10ah would be enough).
Also whats a good BMS to get?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Also what sort of range you talking about in say 10ah battery pack?
Or if I wanted 30mile range what ah would I realistically need (not that I'm suggesting 10ah would be enough).
Also whats a good BMS to get?

You multiply the Volts by the ah so my batteries would be 36 x 9 = 324.
It is then reckoned that on average you use 20 something or other a mile so you divide that into the 324 = 16.2 miles.
I would say that isn't far off for my batteries.

A 36v 17Ah battery should get you 30 miles.
36 x 17 / 20 = 30.6 miles.

Man of Honour
Thanks, any comment on kit I linked?

So am I right in saying assuming they're 2000mah 3.7v 18650s
10 cells in series to get 37v
Then 10 of those packs in parallel to get 20ah?

Man of Honour
I'll take a wonder over. One thing you might know.
Do you have liability insurance just in case you crash into anyone/anything? I'm assuming it would be dirt cheap and worth it?

Man of Honour
I'll take a wonder over. One thing you might know.
Do you have liability insurance just in case you crash into anyone/anything? I'm assuming it would be dirt cheap and worth it?

I don't but I've been waiting over 3 years for a motorist to say "You shouldn't be on the road because you don't pay insurance" instead I still get the Road Tax one.

Man of Honour
Can hardly say anything when they haven't got an original name.
Also site I posted that's their actual ltd name

ELECTRICBIKE CONVERSIONS LTD

Company number 09361261

WELL NECESSITIES LTD

07606081 - Incorporated on 15 April 2011

Unit 1, Flynn Row, Stoke On Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 2SE

Don't see what's naughty, other than slightly dubious non road legal kit, but they do mention that in descriptions.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Batteries finally arrived almost a week late, the first ones are looking good, officially 2200mah, but voltages all fine and already taken 1500mah and only 4.03v so expect they'll be more like 2500mah. Got 36 of those batteries
And then 24batteries which are officially 3000mah but haven't tested any of them yet, going to take weeks to test them all, and will need to buy another bulk lot, depending what the average mah is, will need between 70-100 batteries.

Ordered the 18650 clips, as well cardboard ring insulators for the end and new shrink wrap as damaged some of the shrink wrap getting them out, however due to china, all that's less than £15 inch postage.
So the clips hold them together like this
oi9ow1.jpg

Thing I'm going to get a rear bike rack to attach battery onto.

Trying to decide if I should go fused or none fused. Going respectable fuses means they would trip out if it ever tries to pull more than 2 or 2.5amp from each cell. Depending what rating I got.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
36v 20Ah which should be between 70-100cells

If I want to spend more money can make it look more professional. Adds a lot of cost though.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rear..._3&btsid=4b43ada5-4798-4883-9f08-a06fd570d3ce
That fits upto 128cells

Well this has solved the fuse question. Nice neat and less joints the better. 2m for £8
2uorvnq.jpg

Still can't find a nice BMS though. They're all cheap and charge only, no BMS on discharge.

Edit - only 1 out of 12 batteries is dead so far, all the others have good voltages and all around 2100mah +/- 100mah, so the "3000mah" have lost a lot or were never that to begin with. However it works out well, as it's all very balanced so far which is better for the battery pack.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Quick update, now got 32 batteries tested and selected @~2200mah. And a further 2 which are fully dead and 8 that are between 1600-2000 which I won't use as they're a bit low. Want the batteries as matched as reasonably possible. A second lot of laptop batteries came, which I'm hopping should give me more than the 100 I need.

The cardboard insulators and new shrink wrap also arrived. Also got a package at the postoffice, not sure if its the clips or zinc. I hope clips. Then I can store the batteries slightly better and safer.

Wish I had more testers, slow going only being able to test 4 batteries at a time and it takes about 16hrs.

30kvm7q.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Where are these batteries coming from? I've heard horror stories about cheap imported batteries used with bike lights - and that's only one or two cells.

Mainly dell laptop batteries. Panasonics and Samsung cells mainly.
Pink ones are panasonic, green Samsung and blue are LG

Man of Honour
Not sure why, its what the official bike batteries contain, in fact they're probably better than some of the cheaper packs.

Assuming that the batteries are actually the brand/model they claim, yes.

On top of that, you're cramming a lot more of them together than normal so the resultant heat build up is going to be higher.

I'm saying "zomgz, they're going to explode" but just to be careful.

Back
Top Bottom