Electric Bike Conversion Kit or Electric Bike?

Man of Honour
Fake ones tend to be around 800mah regardless of what's advertised wo these will babe proper batteries. EV bike batteries cram just as many in, Between 50-152 cells. The black spacers also keep the batteries apart which helps heat.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

To build a decent pack out of those cells you need to make sure the capacity of each cell is within 50mah of each other and the resistance is with 30mOhm of each other and none above 250mOhm. I know when I made a pack, out of 200 available cells, I only recovered 60 that were of any use.

Resistance values are probably of more importance for an ebike battery - any above 250mOhm and the voltage will drop through the floor with any load. I've seen a 20Ah pack that still gives out 19Ah trip the BMS and cut power the moment any throttle is applied.

Good luck with the build - building a nice self contained battery pack is one of the more advanced ebike fiddler skill sets :)

In other news, I've added a 40t expander ring and goat link to the eMTB. With the 42t upfront with crank drive, it'll climb anything - traction permitting!

12928132_10209406030246469_4123557564884165592_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Well I've come home from work today and my Mrs said have I seen the new G Tech Bike (electric bike) over £1k in price.

My work has Cycle to work scheme. And I've never thought about it before

Man of Honour
well I'm still going, not far now. did have 100 cells, but after testing for self discharge I had to scrap 20. so working my way through some more packs.

now have 82 good cells.

all 2100-2300mah and all 110-145 milli ohms.

got to really start thinking about how I'm going to pack them on the bike.
any ides, was thinking about looking into the cost of someone, 3d printing out a custom case for it and mounting them in a kind of triangle on both water bottle mounts.

also any thoughts on connectors, especially good easy water proof ones.

Man of Honour
Well over a year ago I rode past a local motorbike gang member who I saw on a scooter which was a massive surprise. He noticed my electric, had a go and said he'd get one immediately for commuting. I did see him at a bike rally and he had the Whoosh but at least one year on I bumped into him at the hospital yesterday. He was on his motorbike but said he now had two e-Bikes with the fastest being able to do 36mph with a 39 mile range. He mentioned a German motor but I had to be somewhere at the time. He's not on FB and I have so many questions.

Soldato
I'm considering buying/building an ebike but my current bike is a GT avalanche 2.0 from 2004 (barely used! - https://bikeindex.org/bikes/19731, it's not that nicked on honest! :D)

Would that be suitable for conversion?

I'd assume more road friendly tyres for it would be a good start or is it not feasible with that sort of bike?

Man of Honour
I'm considering buying/building an ebike but my current bike is a GT avalanche 2.0 from 2004 (barely used! - https://bikeindex.org/bikes/19731, it's not that nicked on honest! :D)

Would that be suitable for conversion?

I'd assume more road friendly tyres for it would be a good start or is it not feasible with that sort of bike?

That would be easy enough.
Personally I'd just get a Cyclotricity front wheel kit with bottle battery and then if you want to upgrade your bike just swap the stuff over.

Man of Honour
Well over a year ago I rode past a local motorbike gang member who I saw on a scooter which was a massive surprise. He noticed my electric, had a go and said he'd get one immediately for commuting. I did see him at a bike rally and he had the Whoosh but at least one year on I bumped into him at the hospital yesterday. He was on his motorbike but said he now had two e-Bikes with the fastest being able to do 36mph with a 39 mile range. He mentioned a German motor but I had to be somewhere at the time. He's not on FB and I have so many questions.

there's one on youtube, that is same top speed 36mph but 110mile range.

52v 40ah battery and a 3kw motor.

Soldato
That would be easy enough.
Personally I'd just get a Cyclotricity front wheel kit with bottle battery and then if you want to upgrade your bike just swap the stuff over.
Thanks for the response I'll look into it.

I'm not too fussed about cycling from the exercise point of view at present, more looking for an economical way of covering a 10 mile round trip to work.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the response I'll look into it.

I'm not too fussed about cycling from the exercise point of view at present, more looking for an economical way of covering a 10 mile round trip to work.

I have a 10 mile round trip and using the electric it can be very easy if you want it to be.
Usually I'll get to work a bit out of breath but coming home I'll put more effort in because I still want the exercise.
However, there have been a couple of times when I let the bike do all the work like when I dislocated my shoulder last year.
You can go a lot more powerful like my mate or AmigaFan and have a bike that is basically an electric moped that can do up to 30 mph on the throttle but you can ride where you want.

Soldato
hey guys.

Im looking to convert my mountain bike to electric. Car parking is a pain at my workplace but i'm not "fit" enough anymore to ride it unassisted, at least not yet. Work is 2 miles each way, but if i get back into riding more range would be good. Im not 100% sure what im looking at, so a few questions:

What make is best and are they available in the UK?

Front or Rear hub? Out of those what is the best for weight distribution and stability, since i used to do lots of offroad stuff.

My brakes are hydraulic but all the kits come with cable style brake levers?

Will probably buy with a low range bottle battery at first, then do a Glaucus, and build my own out of 18650 cells, then i can swap between short and long range batteries.

Man of Honour
hey guys.

Im looking to convert my mountain bike to electric. Car parking is a pain at my workplace but i'm not "fit" enough anymore to ride it unassisted, at least not yet. Work is 2 miles each way, but if i get back into riding more range would be good. Im not 100% sure what im looking at, so a few questions:

What make is best and are they available in the UK?

Front or Rear hub? Out of those what is the best for weight distribution and stability, since i used to do lots of offroad stuff.

My brakes are hydraulic but all the kits come with cable style brake levers?

Will probably buy with a low range bottle battery at first, then do a Glaucus, and build my own out of 18650 cells, then i can swap between short and long range batteries.

I have two bikes with the front wheel Cyclotricity kit which is an absolute doddle to fit.
With a 2 mile commute I wouldn't bother with pedal assist/computer, I'd just put a front motor, battery, controller and throttle for when you need a bit of help.
I use my normal brake levers because when you brake (like in a car) you should be letting go of the throttle or if you do have pedal assist you stop pedalling so it's a bit pointless to pay that extra.
I've disabled the computers on both mine and just use the throttle when I need it and I have a 5 mile commute.

Back
Top Bottom