Electric Shavers?

Soldato
Braun is foil shave only, Philips is rotary - depends what kind of shaving you want. A lot of people find that the rotary shavers tend to 'pinch' your skin.

You'll most likely only be able to buy an entry level/pocket shaver with your budget. If you have sensitive skin then I would recommend you spend a bit more money and get a wet & dry shaver like the Braun 340s-4 where you can use wet/in the shower with shaving foams or gel.

Man of Honour
These things always seem brutal. Are they bad for sensitive skin

(yes I do expect to be mocked for this question)

Mocking you for asking a reasonable question would be silly and unfair. Of course, this is GD :)

I have sensitive skin. Contact dermatitis with a variety of things and a general tendency towards dry skin. I have to use non-bio washing powder and stick to brands I know are fine for me. A similar story with shower gel. The usual stuff with sensitive skin. Nothing serious unless I fall foul of something I'm allergic to. That takes about 10 days to heal and the swelling and itching is unpleasant.

When I bought a cheap electric shaver, many years ago, it set my skin off like I had sunburn. That put me off electric shavers for quite a while.

The high-midrange (£110) Braun I bought ~5 years ago was fine. I could dry shave and go with just a possibility of a bit of dryness and irritation. If I dry shaved and then cleaned my face, I'd always be fine.

The similarly priced Philips I bought a couple of days ago is better. I can dry shave and barely feel that I'm shaving at all. On the first shave, I initially thought it wasn't working. It's that delicate in shaving. I haven't even bothered wet shaving with it - no need.

Soldato
Philips AquaTouch AT890 usually £99:99p, but on offer at Argos £48:99p.

First rotary wet/dry shaver for me,haven`t tried it wet yet,but dry it's very good.

Had a Braun 30 years ago, couldn't get on with it, but the Philips is a lot better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Braun foil shaver if you like that sort of thing. Rotary was some sort of face torture device for me...

Only down side of the foil is the foils get eaten pretty quickly if you have course facial hair (and they are pretty pricy to replace every couple of months). I have to wet shave now to cut costs/get the best results. Varies from person to person though.

Caporegime
Mocking you for asking a reasonable question would be silly and unfair. Of course, this is GD :)

I have sensitive skin. Contact dermatitis with a variety of things and a general tendency towards dry skin. I have to use non-bio washing powder and stick to brands I know are fine for me. A similar story with shower gel. The usual stuff with sensitive skin. Nothing serious unless I fall foul of something I'm allergic to. That takes about 10 days to heal and the swelling and itching is unpleasant.

When I bought a cheap electric shaver, many years ago, it set my skin off like I had sunburn. That put me off electric shavers for quite a while.

The high-midrange (£110) Braun I bought ~5 years ago was fine. I could dry shave and go with just a possibility of a bit of dryness and irritation. If I dry shaved and then cleaned my face, I'd always be fine.

The similarly priced Philips I bought a couple of days ago is better. I can dry shave and barely feel that I'm shaving at all. On the first shave, I initially thought it wasn't working. It's that delicate in shaving. I haven't even bothered wet shaving with it - no need.

very helpful, thankyou :cool:

Man up your poofter! Real men use blunt Bics and washing up liquid. The number of bloody neck scars is directly proportional to testosterone levels.

very...GD.. sarcastic thank you :p

Caporegime
Been thinking about going electric for a while; getting fed up with going against the grain and ending looking like something out of a horror movie - blood everywhere (far worse with the bic razors v the gillette, obviously).

Soldato
Panasonic for me. I don't like the circular blade things neither I prefer the straight ones as it's more like normal shaving.

One

One

Soldato
Braun foil shaver if you like that sort of thing. Rotary was some sort of face torture device for me...

Only down side of the foil is the foils get eaten pretty quickly if you have course facial hair (and they are pretty pricy to replace every couple of months). I have to wet shave now to cut costs/get the best results. Varies from person to person though.

Lol what? The foils are supposed to last two years not two months! Anyway, Phillishave is better.

Caporegime
Can never get on with electric shavers, mainly because none of them give me a proper close shave that i get with my razor. Plus they end up irritating the hell out of my skin especially on my neck. Ive been through most of them even those phillishaves with the lubrication gels to make the irritation less irritating but still didnt help much.

I can see the use of them ie when in a hurry and you need a quick shave but personally i like to take my time when having a shave.

Soldato
Braun over phillishave for me. Boughta phillishave in the summer and it never seemed to give me that good a shave. Irritated my skin a bit too even using shaving gel. It sort of fell apart a bit on me (flicked the top open and bits went everywhere :p).

As boots were having a sale I decided to get a braun 380-s (i think) which was half price at £70. It's the same deal as the phillishave in that you can use it for wet shaving but I'm much preferring it - faster, closer shave with less irritation.

Just shows we're all different I guess as lots of people seem to prefer phillishave.

Soldato
Lol what? The foils are supposed to last two years not two months! Anyway, Phillishave is better.

Yeah I know that's what annoyed me so much about them. Could get 9 maybe 10 good shaves before performance fell off a cliff. After about 20 it was like plucking hairs of my face and I had to change it. I'm not even that hairy! Just find my facial hair is a pain to shave.

Caved into wet shaving as that has worked out cheaper overall if nothing else.

Soldato
Only down side of the foil is the foils get eaten pretty quickly if you have course facial hair (and they are pretty pricy to replace every couple of months).
What shaver have you got? The foil is wearing down quickly probably because 1) you're not washing the head frequently enough or 2) you're pushing too hard against your skin when shaving.

Sugar sorry forgot to mention i'd like one that I can rinse under the tap or are of them like that now?
They're all pretty much washable under the tap these days.

Last edited:

One

One

Soldato
Yeah I know that's what annoyed me so much about them. Could get 9 maybe 10 good shaves before performance fell off a cliff. After about 20 it was like plucking hairs of my face and I had to change it. I'm not even that hairy! Just find my facial hair is a pain to shave.

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Man of Honour

Who are you desperate Dan? (you might have to look that up).
I thought I was bad enough because I need 2 shaves a day but my foils last at least 2 years.
I also have 5 minutes with the shaver getting very close and then I finish off with a Protector Blade.

Back
Top Bottom