Electric Shavers?

Man of Honour
very helpful, thankyou :cool:

No problem. It's an Aquatouch 890, the same model that Nightglow mentioned a few posts later. It felt oddly light and oddly shaped, but that was just in comparison with the shaver I'd been using for years. I think that a foil is a better shape for some parts of your face, but the triangle of rotary cutters was better than I'd expected it to be. They've got the right amount of independent movement and suspension, so they'll curve round your face well enough.

I thought that the blurb on the box about the special cutters to cut hairs of different lengths was just marketing fluff, but it actually works. I've been a bit ill recently and sloppy with shaving, so I had some longer hairs on my throat that I'd missed. That would have been a problem with the Braun I had before - longer hairs just slid over the foils because they were designed for very short hairs.

Hardly a useful feature (how often do you have hairs of significantly different lengths to shave?), but it's an interesting gimmick that works.

Soldato
Can never get on with electric shavers, mainly because none of them give me a proper close shave that i get with my razor.

I find I can get as close a shave as I want with a electric shaver, in fact if I press down firmly it will go underneath the skin which is the mistake I made the first time I shaved electric as I was used to pressing down firmly with a razor only to find 1,000 small spots the next day and my face itching like crazy as the hairs tried to grow out.

I used to be a braun fan, but was getting a little dubious about how fast the cutters seemed to lose performance. Unfortunately I have a lot of thick facial hair.
I tried panasonic last time and 2 years on it still shaves as good as day one with no replacement cutter.
IMO at the top end panasonic > braun, but as ever things change and 2 years on its possibly braun are now as good/better again.
The panasonic did warn of initial irritation due to some coating on the cutter/foil and I did suffer this for 2 days, but it certainly seems to keep the razor working well.

Personally I find that a small brush (as normally given with the razor) achieves a better clean than under the tap.

Man of Honour
I used to be a braun fan, but was getting a little dubious about how fast the cutters seemed to lose performance. Unfortunately I have a lot of thick facial hair.
I tried panasonic last time and 2 years on it still shaves as good as day one with no replacement cutter.
IMO at the top end panasonic > braun, but as ever things change and 2 years on its possibly braun are now as good/better again.
The panasonic did warn of initial irritation due to some coating on the cutter/foil and I did suffer this for 2 days, but it certainly seems to keep the razor working well.

Personally I find that a small brush (as normally given with the razor) achieves a better clean than under the tap.

This may explain why some people are finding that foils degrade quickly - you're not supposed to use the brush on them, but some people do.

This may explain why some people are finding that foils degrade quickly - you're not supposed to use the brush on them, but some people do.

Really?

Well the ones I have had have all had a brush supplied and the manual says you can brush or rinse under the tap.

I can't see how a small soft brush going between the blades could possibly introduce anywhere near the wear cutting a bristle could but you never know.

However, I think most of the wear comes from the blades being pushed up against the foil and isn't really the brush or the shaving. Poor technique, ie pushing really hard would exagerate this.

Edit, I very very rarely clean the foil, there never seems andthing caught/stuck to it, only the cutter.

I find with the panasonic it just cuts better and hence I tend to "work" the razor less and just guide it. That will of course vary for different people though.

Soldato
Would sir like his hair cut or smashed?

fkkn3.png
(razor blade on the left, electric shaver on the right)

A good cold water shave during winter mornings is too frikkin awesome for me, beats the **** out of coffee :eek::cool:

Permabanned
I have a braun foil shaver but its absolutely useless at shaving my face, I ended up using it with water which made it smell hideous.

It shaves my tache really nicely but I can't get it going anywhere else.

One

One

Soldato
Would sir like his hair cut or smashed?

fkkn3.png
(razor blade on the left, electric shaver on the right)

A good cold water shave during winter mornings is too frikkin awesome for me, beats the **** out of coffee :eek::cool:

Looks like the electric shaver will giver a closer shave. Hair is dead anyway it doesn't really matter how neat the ends are.

Back
Top Bottom