Eleven: Table Tennis VR free for 3 days

Soldato
OP
I finally became good enough to comfortably beat semi-pro AI, but the "pro" AI is smashing me to bits 11:1. Basically, I had to learn top spin forehand and backhand shots to win against semi-pro (these hard and fast loop shots are super satisfying now, great stress reliever:)); for the "pro" AI I now need to learn backspin as it absolutely murders me with it. Can only imagine what awaits with the "super pro", "world class" and "legendary" AI.

Associate
I finally became good enough to comfortably beat semi-pro AI, but the "pro" AI is smashing me to bits 11:1. Basically, I had to learn top spin forehand and backhand shots to win against semi-pro (these hard and fast loop shots are super satisfying now, great stress reliever:)); for the "pro" AI I now need to learn backspin as it absolutely murders me with it. Can only imagine what awaits with the "super pro", "world class" and "legendary" AI.

Try! If you go to minigames:free hit then press the left controller menu button, you can play knockabout with any of the AIs, albeit with you serving. I can get some pretty decent rallies going with Pro, but World Class is savage at punishing any shots more than an inch over the net...

I've found I've developed a Fan Zhendong-style backhand preference, as you say it's so satisfying to rip off those quick topspin shots directly at the opponent's body. I use it so much that my forehand really needs a lot of work now though.

Also discovered that I'm too short in the Eleven world, I put my controller on the real floor and it was a good 10 inches under the virtual ground. Fixed it, and it's taken a lot of adjustment to get used to, but I find I can really get on top of smashes now.

My office is installing a ping pong table next month, Ill be so gutted if the VR skills don't transfer!

Soldato
OP
If you go to minigames:free hit then press the left controller menu button, you can play knockabout with any of the AIs
Or you can start single player match at any difficulty and then quit and go to knock about - the AI will be the same as seected for the match
I can get some pretty decent rallies going with Pro, but World Class is savage at punishing any shots more than an inch over the net...
and yet division 1 TT pro beats it without even trying - see my post #10 in this thread :)

Did anyone play Rockstar's (yes the dev of GTA) Table Tennis on Xbox 360 years ago?
I've played Virtua Tennis 3 (4? 7? cant remember:)) and it was great, but lets face it - pressing B on an xbox pad to do a top spin shot is long ways from developing the actual top spin stroke - with your actual body, elbow, wrist, shoulder positioning, racket angle and timing of brushing the ball etc etc etc . Eleven is all about the latter, so you cant even compare to Rockstar's stuff, good as it was :)

Associate
Bah! Just bought it two days ago. Oh well it's just a few quid. And it was with their own credit that I bought it, so can't complain.

Soldato
Yeah it's brilliant :) Do you play on the steam or the oculus version? I wonder is there any difference in performance/hit reg?

Soldato
We will arrange a prize if someone wants to organise it properly.

Really? That would be awesome Nik.

Might start a new thread and see if there is any interest. I could organise it if the interest was there. Title of new thread. "First ever OCUK Sponsored VR Table Tennis Tournament"

Soldato
OP
Well, if you ever want to play a game against human opposition give me a shout on steam :)
Will do! Need to make more space in my room, atm I'm adjusting ingame table position to play either close to the table (semi-pro AI) or step away from the table(pro AI). Everything played short to my right I simply let go so as not to punch the printer :)

Last edited:
Associate
Will do! Need to make more space in my room, atm I'm adjusting ingame table position to play either close to the table (semi-pro AI) or step away from the table(pro AI). Everything played short to my right I simply let go so as not to punch the printer :)

Hahaha, I've knocked my Amazon Echo out of the window playing Eleven :)

OcUK Staff
Really? That would be awesome Nik.

Might start a new thread and see if there is any interest. I could organise it if the interest was there. Title of new thread. "First ever OCUK Sponsored VR Table Tennis Tournament"

Get it done mate. Will sort out a prize for the winner! Is there a spectate mode, we could record the games and put some footage together.

OcUK Staff
HTC want in on it to. They'll enter their best player.

They'll put up a prize too!

Is it cross platform. I know its on steam and you can play it on VIVE but don't know if everyone can plkay each other or not. Perhaps we need to have an Oculus tournament, a Vive tournament and then have the 2 winners face off in real life!

Back
Top Bottom